• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another couple of extreme pics uk (1 Viewer)

capdegat

a couple more from this morning
Curlew sandpiper ?
DSCF0212 (1).jpg

no idea -so leave it to the experts !
I thought oystercatcher but black legs ?
DSCF0280 (1).jpg

Wow, this sems two more pitfall pictures to me:
first seems to be Grey Plover, eating something, isnt it?
second seems a Great-black backed Gull with an dirtened head to me.

Conclusion? More pictures please or better: Steve Clifton and others, please help: I am not in pitfall picture mode, today!

Edit: after a second look, I am quite sure its not a Gull? I am puzzled, Eider, Oystercatcher. I am sure, I am missing an important thing here, again.

Last edited:
Wow, this sems two more pitfall pictures to me:
first seems to be Grey Plover, eating something, isnt it?
second seems a Great-black backed Gull with an dirtened head to me.

Conclusion? More pictures please or better: Steve Clifton and others, please help: I am not in pitfall picture mode, today!

Edit: after a second look, I am quite sure its not a Gull? I am puzzled, Eider, Oystercatcher. I am sure, I am missing an important thing here, again.
Much though I'd like 1 to be curlew sand, I think you're right with grey plover.

2) is definitely oystercatcher with muddy legs. We can see the fine, long bill on the left side. The black on the breast appears reduced because it's stretching its head round and over to the right.

I agree definitely difficult pics & only the Dunlin in the first pic is 100% idable.
I can see why Curlew sand came to mind for the left hand bird in pic 1, it looks leggy with the bill seeming to be long & curved & maybe moulting to breeding plumage.
The third, bottom bird could be a little stint but again that’s seeing what might not be there plumage & size wise.
This is all speculation with no confidence at all.
The second pic I can’t even try.

The first pic definitely looks like a moulting adult Curlew Sandpiper. In no way is it in the right ballpark for a Grey Plover. On size the front bird should be another Dunlin.

The second, I won't even dignify with an attempt. I mean if you seriously want people to help with an ID, at least wait until the bird has its head up before pressing the shutter!

its twice as big as the 2 dunlin maybe a ruff? dunno the second is a gull by picasso
Dunlin and Curlew Sandpiper can of course be similar in size, but a small Dunlin can be as small 17cm, and a large CS over 21cm. So yes, Curlew Sand is a serious suggestion.

Are you seriously suggesting it could be a Ruff?

Knot?

Imm Eider? (preening). Unlikely presumably, but it does look bigger than an Oystercatcher should be etc.

Are these the only photos of the two birds concerned?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back