• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another mixed gull (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Another mixed Gull ? Slightly built bird, top like a YL, lesser underwing coverts completely uniformly dark. So ? Herring, YL, ?🙄

Attachments

• IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    613.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2198.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPG
    575.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2200.JPG
    IMG_2200.JPG
    878.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    784.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    934.3 KB · Views: 13
Hello Michal,

here you can apply the shape of the black tailband, because its a 1st cycle bird. I see one of uniform wide, favouring Caspian Gull.
More, your bird have nearly unmarked whitish axillaries, quite a few YLG have a more patterned underwing.
And striped pattern of upperwing, with uniform greater coverts framed by two pale lines (enhanced by wear and bleaching), shape of bill and head and quite marked/strong inner primary window with obvious venetian blind effect (quite a few YLG have a weaker one with more uniform dark primaries) makes this a 2cy Caspian Gull for me.

I cant detect any signs of Herring Gull, but better wait for Lou!

With a big thanks again for the crescent feature of LBBG hybrids. Didnt knew that and what a useful comparison picture! Excellent, thanks Lou and Smiths!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back