• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Love for Athlon Cronus/Midas? (1 Viewer)

jgraider

I am going to pick up an inexpensive bino to give to a youngster here. I can get either one of these Athlon's for about 50% of MSRP.

Anyone around the BF had any chance to look through these binos? It will be 8x if that matters. Appreciate the help.

I bought a Midas 8x42 off C-list that I enjoyed for a while. Was impressed with the view and build quality.

love is an pretty strong term to use....for an Athlon...… maybe relatively satisfied for the price.......

I haven't owned any....tried out some at Cabelas I think....Ok but just another of the jonny come lately importers....I really prefer the big 3.. Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica....really liked Minox as my trying hard to compete brand....before they became part of the Blaser conglomerate.... also liked the Vanguard Endeavor I and II lineup.....but they sort of dropped the ball with the IV....

Like I said have nothing against Athlon....just don't feel the LOVE

I haven't owned any....tried out some at Cabelas I think....Ok but just another of the jonny come lately importers....I really prefer the big 3.. Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica....really liked Minox as my trying hard to compete brand....before they became part of the Blaser conglomerate.... also liked the Vanguard Endeavor I and II lineup.....but they sort of dropped the ball with the IV....

Like I said have nothing against Athlon....just don't feel the LOVE

Wondered why you commented on Athlon with zero experience, but that's what I figured.

Jgraider,

I think you should ask Chuck about them, he had one I believe, and my opinion likely mirrors his and gunuts opinion. I along with Foss agree the build quality was good. I thought the color rendition was off in one I had, 10X42 for a week, but that could have been sample variation. If you can get 50% off MSRP, then as an intro glass could suit the bill. You are buying them for someone else, ....right?

Andy W.

I had the chance today to spend some time with the Athlon 8x42. It surprised me with its image quality. It easily whacks the Zeiss Terra, and I'm not sure what I'd look at sub $300 to try and beat it.

Last edited:
Good deal Steve. I know you hate answering this, BUT......if you had to guesstimate, go from memory, etc, what does this most closely compare to optically? Thanks for your comments.

Good deal Steve. I know you hate answering this, BUT......if you had to guesstimate, go from memory, etc, what does this most closely compare to optically? Thanks for your comments.
\

Trying to go from memory (never real smart for me anymore) I seem to recall you have experience with both the Tract Toric and Leupold Pro Guide BX-4. The Athlon is remarkably like those optically with a full 8* field which will seem wider. These were $280 at the local small store and they really seemed nice.

Jgraider,

I think you should ask Chuck about them, he had one I believe, and my opinion likely mirrors his and gunuts opinion. I along with Foss agree the build quality was good. I thought the color rendition was off in one I had, 10X42 for a week, but that could have been sample variation. If you can get 50% off MSRP, then as an intro glass could suit the bill. You are buying them for someone else, ....right?

Andy W.

I had an Athlon Ares....I tried to sell it and eventually gave it away. Similar price I had SO rather have a Vanguard Endeavor ED II. I won't be buying another Athlon product even for free. I WILL say the Cronus is supposed to be a step up from the Ares.

To be clear, I looked at the 8x42 Athlon Midas. Chuck makes a valid point about trying to re sell new brand names. No profit in it.

I had the chance to spend some time with the Athlon Midas 8x42 today. I will have to agree with Steve C's thoughts here, in that I cannot imagine any sub $300 being any better. The eyepieces stayed put wherever you put them, the glass is bright, contrasty, and very sharp for about 80% of the field. Since I do have a BX4 handy to compare to, the Midas is easily in that class, and slightly better to my 58 yr old eyeballs. It is also superior to the Viper HD my buddy loaned me. Focus is smooth, and the unit seems to be much better built than any Zen Ray I owned. Hinge tension was fine as well, as was eye relief that was not anywhere near what I'd call finicky. Overall it offers a very nice, sharp, bright view, way outclassing the $230 price charged on Amazon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back