• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using 10x25 Ultravids? (3 Viewers)

Lewie said:
It is comforting to know that with binouclars I am not the only person with obsessive-compulsive behavior.
Yeah Lewie, I think we should form a self-help group. Every time I buy another pair of top-end bins, I think I´m cured, "now I have all the bins I need for any situation". Until I find a tiny window of opportunity to go and part with some hard-earned moo-lah-lah on another pair. Mind you, the store in Dublin still doesn´t have the 10x25 ultravids, so it might pass before they arrive.

Okay, I know I´ve pestered a lot of people about this, but here´s my (inconsequential) problem. The store in Dublin just doesn´t seem to be getting Ultravid 10x25 in, unless you order them. Which I don´t want to do unless I´ve tried them. They do, however, have 10x25 Trinovids in stock. Is there an appreciable difference in quality in the optics, does any kind soul know? Huge difference in price in the store in question, by the way: 429 euro for the Trinos, 599 for the Ultras (which I think is well over the odds).

Sancho said:
Okay, I know I´ve pestered a lot of people about this, but here´s my (inconsequential) problem. The store in Dublin just doesn´t seem to be getting Ultravid 10x25 in, unless you order them. Which I don´t want to do unless I´ve tried them. They do, however, have 10x25 Trinovids in stock. Is there an appreciable difference in quality in the optics, does any kind soul know? Huge difference in price in the store in question, by the way: 429 euro for the Trinos, 599 for the Ultras (which I think is well over the odds).
I suspect that they only compare in an evolutionary way - the coatings are very different and the focusing control unique on the Ultravid. I wish I were nearer, you could borrow ours - I guarantee you'd love 'em. Why not buy from Kay Optical (http://www.kayoptical.co.uk/products/Leica.shtml) or Warehouse Express - they accept returns and Kay (where we bought ours) offers six months free credit and are exceptionally knowledgeable, helpful and friendly?

Last edited:
The compact Ultravids are an entirely new design, they aren't the same optical formula as the Trinovids (unlike the 2/3 and full sized models which have the same lenses as the Trinovids but better lens and prism coatings). The compact Ultravids have better edge performance, MUCH better contrast, are QUITE a bit brighter, have MUCH MUCH MUCH closer focus (especially the 10X, it is ~16 feet in the Trinovid and ~8 feet in the Ultravid), are waterproof, and have different (better) ergonomics. I own the 10x25 Trinovid but I never use it anymore since my 8x20 Ultravid is so much better.
--AP

These 10x25 are a bit tricky, so I would definitely try to see one.
Field of view: 90 m/1000 m
is that good? I don't have my charts for degrees or feet handy. (It comes out to 270ft). I know Zeiss Classic 10x25 gets 95m which I think is 285ft, getting to the useful range.

In any case, there are two or three OK 10x25s, various brands. Some fairly expensive models only have a FOV of 260ft, it surprised me. Even Nikon 10x25 Premier is 282ft. Otherwise I would be more excited about them.

I am using 8x25 Minoltas for my pocket bins, works OK and no big loss if someone steals my jacket.

I looked thru all the data and the best you can do is 285ft FOV at 10x25 roofs.

Last edited:
Tero said:
I would say the field of view is, give or take a little, pretty much similar and not noticeably narrow in any way. What is a little less instant compared with a full size pair of binocualrs is eye positioning when first putting them to the eyes - but we found that the Ultravid offered as near to a comfortable "walk-in" view as any. I can put them straight to my eyes, as can my two sons, with very little problem at all; my wife, however, takes a little longer to become initially accustomed to them (but that is the case with most bins for her).

Tero said:
Field of view: 90 m/1000 m
is that good? I don't have my charts for degrees or feet handy. (It comes out to 270ft). I know Zeiss Classic 10x25 gets 95m which I think is 285ft, getting to the useful range.

In any case, there are two or three OK 10x25s, various brands. Some fairly expensive models only have a FOV of 260ft, it surprised me. Even Nikon 10x25 Premier is 282ft. Otherwise I would be more excited about them.

I am using 8x25 Minoltas for my pocket bins, works OK and no big loss if someone steals my jacket.

I looked thru all the data and the best you can do is 285ft FOV at 10x25 roofs.

The 10x25 types, IN GENERAL, are a bit trickier than full sized models. But among the 10x25 types, the Ultravids are so much better that the Trinovids - as has been stated before - that the price difference is clearly justified.

I fully agree that they offer a superb "walk-in" view!

Thanks for those extra updates, Tero, Scampo, Swissboy and Alexis. Although my questions are getting tedious, I´m glad I asked, because you´ve given me good pointers and saved me wasting money! :t:

Well, I've been following this for a while now and although I've never tried the 10 x 25 Ultravids, it seems clear that they are optically superb. I use an 8 x 20 Trinovid, and I love them. But on the matter of design and style, the Trinovid wins hands down. In fact, I think the new Leica Mini Ultravid is the most plug ugly binocular that Leica has ever made! That focus wheel sticks out like a wart on the end of cousin Ichabod's nose! Leica has always led in both substance and style so I guess we can forgive them for one mischance.

Bob
"I came, I saw, I criticized!"

ceasar said:
... I guess we can forgive them for one mischance.

Bob
"I came, I saw, I criticized!"
I see where you come from but form should follow function I would say, even though it's idea when the two are more harmoniously linked.

This is something our politicians would do well to attend to... rather less attention to style and raher more attention to substance!

scampo said:
This is something our politicians would do well to attend to... rather less attention to style and raher more attention to substance!
You´re asking for a lot there, Scampo.... ;)

Sancho said:
You´re asking for a lot there, Scampo.... ;)
I suppose so, eh? In our own case, I have to say I'm fed up with hearing and reading what's going to be done - then that's the last we hear of it. 'Soundbites' - the very word makes me cringe!

Sancho said:
I got a pair of 8x20 ultravids some months ago, as compacts I think they are unbelievable. For years, however, I´ve mostly used 10x bins, and I was thinking of selling the 8x20 to buy 10x25. I know the obvious loss of FOV will be a problem, but how do users find the 10x overall? Happy? (Or is there some dark secret I ought to know......... ;) )

Had mine for over a year now and they go everywhere I go. The 10x does seem to give just that little bit more detail. No dark secret except that once you own them theres no turning back from birding all day every day...even at the pub~

They are just so awesome to carry around and fantastically brilliant to look through. I am currently looking at a 8x42 for forest work but the 10x25s are great even there! If one pair of binoculars was ever enough then this would be it...but we all know thats never going to happen ;)

Super highly recommended!!!

Greetings!

I'm going to throw in my .02 on this thread... because it has some interest to me.

When the 10x25 Ultravid became locally available, I was quite excited. I went to the shop that had them, along with the $$$ to buy them and my Nikon HG 10x25 to compare them with at the shop.

After the comparison, I could see so little actual difference in image quality between the two binoculars that I decided against the purchase. In fact, the image quality between the two was so remarkably similar that I had a hard time remembering which binocular I was looking through during my testing and occasionally had to lower them to double-check! I liked the ergonomics of the Leicas a LOT better than the Nikons, but the Nikons seemed to be a bit sturdier built... so overall the comparison was a wash for me. If I hadn't already purchased the Nikons, it would be a really difficult decision for me as to which of the two to buy... I would probably give the Leica a slight nod, because of the ergonomics... but it would just BARELY win over the Nikon's better price and seemingly more rugged construction.

Bottom line? I like the Leica 10x25 a LOT, and highly recommend them. I would own a pair if I didn't already own the Nikon equivalent... which I also highly recommend.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back