• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are wheatears rare? (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
52BB84B6-17F4-4550-8434-06E791A84D7B.jpg
I just converted my western palearctic bubo list to a world list and had a look at the blockers. How come wheatear is so high? I noticed that the top ioc western palearctic list on there was also missing wheatear.

It can’t be that most lists are not European. My entire first page of most seen by other listers birds are all European. Is there some taxonomy thing I’m unaware of.

Thanks. I couldn’t really understand why a bubo list that seems primarily Western European had so few people see them.

Perhaps people aren't visiting suitable habitats in enough numbers to record them? Maybe also with pandemic lockdowns, not enough people were around during height of migration to see them?

There's demographic information that's more focused on Britain that might help, although it says there's not enough evidence to say for sure what possible reasons there might be for any change: Species | BTO - British Trust for Ornithology

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back