• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

As a bird photographer, I'm glad I picked Nikon (3 Viewers)

Yes, it was the size of the D70 that made me choose that over the Canon 350D too - and the fact that at the time the Canon came only in silver! I had always been a Canon man in pre digital days (still have a Canon A1).

A Nikon 400mm f5.6 would be nice (a 400m f4 would be too heavy - I already have a Sigma 500mm f4.5 and want something lighter for long days hiking over moorland etc. that I can handhold).

I agree with what Steve has written, it really doesn't matter what brand you use. The mistakes are usually in the post processing, even professionals get dreadful results because they don't understand how to colour balance their images.

Way back long long ago i tried to buy a Canon 20d, but was told that thy were impossible to get in the UK. That small issue made me go down the Nikon road. I bought a D70, followed by a D200. Now I'm thinking of a D700 having used my son's over the Easter holidays. The metering is simply marvelous, I love the high ISO settings with low grain. My only nagging thoughts are the price increase, now £1749 and the possibility that Nikon may bring out a better model.

Have you any prediction when an upgrade is likely Gentoo?

Regards,

Richard

I can see nothing wrong. You have your gear and make the best of it, I have my own and also make the best of it. Just as I won't say Mercedes is better than BMW or vise versa.

rdspalm, I will agree with eastwood for the most part about enjoying what you have right now.

However to answer your question, it is believed that Nikon may release 3 DSLR's this year. the 1st just came out, the D5000. It is rumored that the 2nd one may be a D4000, a watered down version of the D5000 perhaps without the flip screen (gimicky IMO) and perhaps lacking video and one or two others. This was translated from a Swedish photo site if I'm not mistaken. The third of course would be the D400 which is what I'm waiting for. I simply want a second body so I don't need to get what's out right now so I might as well wait.

IF I felt compelled, my next Nikon upgrade from the D90 will be a sub-$2k 24MP full frame camera. With both Canon and Sony already in the ballpark, Nikon is due.

cheers,
Rick

If I were to upgrade to a 24MP camera I'd also have to get a new PC. So I'll stick with my D300 for a few years!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back