• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attaching Strap and Rain Guard - this may help you. (1 Viewer)

corvid-8

Well, you have bought your new binoculars you are £2k+ lighter in the wallet and need to protect and secure your new babies form the perils out there in the field.
As most bins require you to thread through a lug on its side ( Swarovski owners does not apply) there will always be the possibility of de-threading and loosing the lot. It has happened to me many many years ago.
Also attaching the rain guard can take its toll on the rubber lug with constant bending, this can cause splitting and detachment and loss.
So after years of trying to find the ultimate attachments I have come up with this secure, neat, comfortable and wear friendly way of attaching said strap and rain guard which I hope could help others in the same quest.
Need, strap of choice, 20mm (flat) Shrink Tube, 2mm Elastic Cord, small piece of thin leather / leatherette 20mm x 40mm (cut to suit)Some kind of stopper (bead etc for on the cord) and a camera Triangular split pin (works better then a round one)
Thread "ladder" Clip to desired place- thread cut to size shrink tube (a little bit over the length of "ladder " Clip) - thread on Triangle - thread on strap grommet.
Then thread DOWN through Binocular Lug -out- and up through strap grommet - BI-PASSING Triangle this time and back up the ladder over the original thread.
Pull shrink tube over the "ladder" and using a heat source gently soft heat to shrink tube.BE VERY VERY CAREFUL.
Now for the Rain Guard. Make two centre holes 3mm just from each end thread through the Rain Guard Lug and fold over. Thread a small loop of Elastic Cord onto a bead or similar to prevent the HITCH from coming off.
Thread untied end loop through Triangle - through the two holes of folded leather holding the rain guard (lug) and pull back and HITCH over bead.
You would attach the other side of the Binocular as normal with a SHRINK TUBE Wrap to secure that side "ladder".
Here is a photo and I hope this helps some of you out there.
IMG_0800.jpg

Er, what was the problem? Perhaps a job interview at the Swaro strap department could be arranged.

[Edit, since I had to look this up: Heath Robinson = Rube Goldberg]

Last edited:
Complicated ! this is simplicity itself. All I am doing is securing the strap by covering the "ladder' with the strap threaded through twice with shrink tube to finish off neatly and help security. The Rain Guard now has the pressure off its lug and swivels better about the strap. It is neat, secure and you never notice it there. I thought folks might want to gain from this so I shared it on here.
It is good to share ideas- well I think it is.:rolleyes:

Complicated ! this is simplicity itself. All I am doing is securing the strap by covering the "ladder' with the strap threaded through twice with shrink tube to finish off neatly and help security. The Rain Guard now has the pressure off its lug and swivels better about the strap. It is neat, secure and you never notice it there. I thought folks might want to gain from this so I shared it on here.
It is good to share ideas- well I think it is.:rolleyes:
That is what the forum is for, and you can learn a lot from other birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back