• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumwatch 2014 (1 Viewer)

I'm sure that Martin is a decent, intelligent individual however I find his contribution to any of the 'watch programmes really irritating and feel he could do a better job on CBBC. His enthusiasm may even encourage younger people to take an interest and from his point of view he wouldn't have to play the buffoonish sidekick to the other two. My other two peeves with the show are the dreadful music and the need to show Red Deer rutting every flipping year - there must be other stuff going on in Autumn. Despite my humbug moans I've enjoyed the show, some of the Bearded Reedling shots have been stunning.

James.

Martin is the one reason I struggle to take Autumnwatch seriously. I watched it for the first time last night for some time. Same subject areas does not help much either. Fond memories of Leighton Moss is not enough to save the "Britains got wildlife talent" approach to the format. Respect for Mr Packham. No issues with Ms Strachan either. That Martin bloke has no place in a serious wildlife programme.

I pity the fool

I thought I was going to be named on tonight's programme after I had tweeted about the "humans having been on Earth for 200 million years" gaffe.

Well, Autumnwatch has its uses. We were walking in the woods at Minsmere today and came across some strange black fungus covering a fallen tree trunk. I didn't have any idea what it was but it cropped up as one of the quiz questions on Unsprung tonight. It was 'Black Witches Butter' or Exidia glandulosa. A nice topical coincidence for Halloween.

Ron

I'm sure that Martin is a decent, intelligent individual however I find his contribution to any of the 'watch programmes really irritating and feel he could do a better job on CBBC. His enthusiasm may even encourage younger people to take an interest and from his point of view he wouldn't have to play the buffoonish sidekick to the other two. My other two peeves with the show are the dreadful music and the need to show Red Deer rutting every flipping year - there must be other stuff going on in Autumn. Despite my humbug moans I've enjoyed the show, some of the Bearded Reedling shots have been stunning.

James.

I get that same feeling with Otters I saw my first Otters in 2012 and every year it became the running joke with me that everyone said they'd seen a Otter and before I'd seen Otters I'd see them mentioned on Autumnwatch and I was like stop going on about Otters. I feel differently now.

The what? Never seen none of those in Britain.... ;)

John

It's very interesting to delve a bit deeper into the different (and sometimes archaic) names given to birds.

Bearded Reedling et al. according to Websters Dictionary (1913) (others available) quotes the following:-

Reed´ling
n. 1. (Zool.) The European bearded titmouse (Panurus biarmicus); - called also reed bunting, bearded pinnock, and lesser butcher bird.

Incidentally, the reed bunting of Emberiza variety used to be called the "Parson Bird" (presumably because of the white collar and 'white' stripes pattern on face).

"Butcher Bird" today, more associated with the red backed shrike.

:t:

It's very interesting to delve a bit deeper into the different (and sometimes archaic) names given to birds.

Bearded Reedling et al. according to Websters Dictionary (1913) (others available) quotes the following:-

Reed´ling
n. 1. (Zool.) The European bearded titmouse (Panurus biarmicus); - called also reed bunting, bearded pinnock, and lesser butcher bird.

Incidentally, the reed bunting of Emberiza variety used to be called the "Parson Bird" (presumably because of the white collar and 'white' stripes pattern on face).

"Butcher Bird" today, more associated with the red backed shrike.

:t:

Well, to me Bearded Reedling is something that never caught on, and anyone using it today is risking being misdentified as a Bearded Pinnock ;)

Seen plenty of Bearded Tits though. :t:

John

That's a bit harsh - I don't even have a beard! Don't have a clue what a pinnock is so might still qualify. I think Friday's show was the best of the run with some good, varied content including more good pictures of Bearded Reed... er Tits,

James

While I have enjoyed Autumnwatch, as a keen birder I wonder why there has been no mention of the fabulous autumn migration. On the east coast in mid September there was a wonderful fall of birds and recently the remains of hurricane Gonzales produced some real rarities up in the Northern Isles. It probably wasn't feasible for film crews to cover the events but there are many wonderful photos around e.g. Rebecca Nason's Siberian Rubythroat. A little less Red Deer rut methinks......

Behind the scenes of Unsprung - last day of the series 2014

Glad to get a few famous faces in this shot.

Attachments

• the-lot.jpg
    the-lot.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 277
I went out last night wedensday 5th November and bought a ticket for chris Peckham talk is coming to the Isle of Man on the 2nd of December so I am taking myself to go and see him.so let's hope it will be a good night not seen him before.so I hope it will be a good night.

I went out last night wedensday 5th November and bought a ticket for chris Peckham talk is coming to the Isle of Man on the 2nd of December so I am taking myself to go and see him.so let's hope it will be a good night not seen him before.so I hope it will be a good night.

I should call him Mr Packham, not Peckham, if you get to talk to him. ;)

John

I get the feeling they are a bit confused at what to cover at times. Some of it is pre-filmed and I cannot see why they can't do pre-filmed sections from Spurn or other migration hot spots. A week at Spurn in mid-September would provide some new opportunities and plenty of new birds to film. They may even get some migrant moths butterflies etc.

The after math of a hurricane would be worth exploring too. It would be interesting if they get trans-atlantic birds on film and it would be something new for the majority of viewers. Otters and Red Deer do get a bit much!

While I have enjoyed Autumnwatch, as a keen birder I wonder why there has been no mention of the fabulous autumn migration. On the east coast in mid September there was a wonderful fall of birds and recently the remains of hurricane Gonzales produced some real rarities up in the Northern Isles. It probably wasn't feasible for film crews to cover the events but there are many wonderful photos around e.g. Rebecca Nason's Siberian Rubythroat. A little less Red Deer rut methinks......

The Watches have always been about general interest wildlife, the bird heaviness is down to them being easier to film especially on the nest. They have never been about "oh look at this rare bird that has blown in", there were odd mentions and photos when Bill was presenting but the whole aim of the programme is to get people to get out and appreciate and then learn to protect nature.

How about following and filming a Twitcher for a week and Incorporate It Into 5 minutes per episode of the series.Some would find It Interesting,while no doubt,others would'nt but It would show people the difference between Birders and Twitchers,to those who don't know.

The Watches have always been about general interest wildlife, the bird heaviness is down to them being easier to film especially on the nest. They have never been about "oh look at this rare bird that has blown in", there were odd mentions and photos when Bill was presenting but the whole aim of the programme is to get people to get out and appreciate and then learn to protect nature.

Actually Chris P has also run some interesting stuff about migration in the past but this year it was practically ignored. And the way the media does pick up on major or long-distance rarities means that they know the GBP does take an interest in them too.

I think the idea of doing the show from Spurn (or Fair Isle) is an excellent one.

I'm not so sure about following a twitcher around for a week. (a) A week isn't long enough and (b) who do you all want to nominate? I'm fairly sure I can think of two names that wouldn't be in the frame! ;)

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back