• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby S (2 Viewers)

"138/1094 yds"? I didn't think a new error was possible here. (It's still 126/1000 in yards or inches too, or 378ft/1000yds)

Where are they made? A nice idea, but that 4m close focus will frustate a lot of youngsters. Other choices would do better at less cost.

Last edited:
"138/1094 yds"? I didn't think a new error was possible here. (actually 378/1000)

Hi,

138/1094 yards is actually technically correct - they just multiplied the meters by 1,094 to get yards... unfortunately that's not how tfov is stated in imperial units... more correct at least than the 126/1000 which is later stated as the tfov in m at 1000m and ft at 1000 yrd

As for the bins - not sure if they are sth the world needs... the close focus of 4m is a bummer, especially so since the page shows a kid using the bins to look at a mushroom at very close range... and of course the pricing of almost 500€ is kinda ambitious for what is essentially a toy.
I have not found any country of origin info on the page - the same as for the other Swaro bins - so maybe they're actually made in Absam.

But the instruction leaflet is actually very cute and well drawn...

Joachim, who will keep giving Papilios to kids... actually close focus and much more affordable. No writeoffs either up to now, but sample size is a bit low at two pairs given...

I think the price is not bad. Looks nice for children.
I only wonder what the quality is, so I am looking forwarding reading the first reviews/tests of it.

Too bad the FOV is narrow, weight high for the 7x28 configuration and the closest focus distance longish. A small 7x with 4 mm exit pupil and top optics would actually be a welcome spec to the market. For kids, the Pentax papillio will still be a more tempting option.
I think for kids, factors other than FOV and close focus may be even more relevant: eye relief / ease of view with and without glasses, ergonomics for small hands, fun factor (Swarovski spent months with kids to determine the choice of colors).
As to close focus: insects at 2 meters appear less than 30 cm closer in a 7x binocular than insects at 4 m. This difference is rarely that relevant.
And as to Papilio: minimum IPD of 56 mm is a problem for some kids, ease of view is in my view (pun?) okay but not great.

Last edited:
From my experience with my own kids, I think this Swaro ticks some boxes, others not.
  • The form factor of a small roof is good, much better than the low mag Porros
  • The 7x mag is great
  • Minimum IPD of 50 mm is great. IPD is often a limiting factor for bins to work for kids. An example is the Opticron Traveller 8x32, which ticks all the boxes for a kids binocular (except cute color), but the IPD min of 57 mm is too much for some kids.

- I agree that close focus and FOV is not great. Swaro should have done better in these specs.

If I were to buy a kids bin, I would first look at the Vortex Bantam, which has very similar specs as this new Swaro, but at a much lower price.

As to close focus: insects at 2 meters appear less than 30 cm closer in a 7x binocular than insects at 4 m. This difference is rarely that relevant.
That's a rather adult argument. What kids will notice is just that they can't focus on lots of nearby things. (FOV may not be an issue... compared to what?)

Last edited:
No diopter correction, so not an option for me personally. Apart from that: any 7x gets my vote and a 28 mm objective is good enough for most things.

Very interesting. Swarovski's response to Vortex Bantam 6,5x32. Eye relief is stated to 18mm. That seems good, but now it's just to wait to know what does this mean in practise.
When it comes to FOV I think it's good that Swarovski keep the AFOV at only 50deg, instead of sacrificing eye relief.

Last edited:
Re close focus (and the kid looking at something, mushroom or whatever, close by):

MY Junior​

Using the binoculars as a magnifying glass​

If you turn the optical device around, you can use it as a practical magnifying glass. That way you can help grandpa read the small print, take a closer look at fungi, and examine tiny stones in search of gold. MY Junior is the perfect companion for the whole family on all types of adventure.

4m minimum focussing distance… but the kid in the glossy photo is looking at mushrooms about 10cm away….. hmmm?!

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back