• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (1 Viewer)

Evening birders,

Sorry about the late report but no apologies about the quality.
It's 11:30 at the estuary, Sue and I were trying to locate an Iceland Gull when a large raptor flew in from the sea. With our Bins on it, it became obvious it was a mega bird! An Ospray flew over the old Racal sight high up and turned east, it flew straight over us. Unfortantly the trees at the bottom of the golf club obsured our view and couldn't determine which way it flew. We reported our sighting to a birder on the estuary who knew Phil, we spent an hour trying to locate it. We left the birder trying to find it, went home and rang Phil; a truely unbelievable record.
Can any birders enlighten us as to why an Ospary should be sighted this early in the year? Sue and I are over the moon, I wish some of main birders could have recorded it, the pages would have been on fire! We're absolutely convienced it will be recorded by fellow birders on its flight path very soon.

Happy Birding
Simon and Sue:t:

It seems absurd by I feel bizarrely gripped by all your Iceland Gulls. I birded the Plym Estuary from 1984-88 and never saw one there, although I did have them elsewhere the SW at that time - Penzance and Weymouth come to mind.

However, that was a stunningly good time for gulls on the Plym, so I suppose I mustn't grumble . . . but I reckon I wouldn't be a real birder if I didn't!

Keep the postings coming! - the law of avergaes makes Kumlien's (or at least a Glonk) likelier by the day.

Cheers
Mike

It seems absurd by I feel bizarrely gripped by all your Iceland Gulls. I birded the Plym Estuary from 1984-88 and never saw one there, although I did have them elsewhere the SW at that time - Penzance and Weymouth come to mind.

Cheers
Mike

And the run continues....

Two on the estuary from about 15:00 til 17:00 today, also 15+ Med Gulls.

Attachments

• Iceland-Gull-dark-jjuv-18th.jpg
    Iceland-Gull-dark-jjuv-18th.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Iceland-Gull-pale-juv-18th.jpg
    Iceland-Gull-pale-juv-18th.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 50
After dipping the woodcocks at Ox Hill, I drove from there towards Northleigh, across the Coly and turned back towards Colyton. I saw about 10 gulls in a field so stopped and checked them out. Guess what. Only an iceland in with them! Im sure it must be one of the two but it was still nice to see. They all flew off when I got out of my car, so don't know which one it was. It was near the turn off with a house with Larkshayne painted all over it (on the Colyton to Northleigh rd, about half way to Northleigh).

Couldnt face dipping the dipper again so went and dipped the Beer firecrests again.

At least 2 green sands and water rails calling at Coly Common. After hearing that the dipper was singing near the tannery yesterday afternoon, I gave it a go, but dipped then got a iceland (cheers for the text Steve) and male tufty on the estuary.

Evening birders,
Not a lot of response from our amazing sighting of a seriously early Ospray, mind you we didn't expect anything different as it was truely unbelievable! Just try to imagine how Sue and I felt when we saw it flying in from the sea, the most excited we have been about a bird for a very long time. My heart rate was nearly expolding. It's up with our best sightings ie. Red Footed Falcon, Hawfinch, Cuckoo, a juvenile Honey Buzzard which pictures have been posted on the forum. Sadly we could not get a picture of this one.

A bit of ringers interest, a male Siskin was a number 16 on its leg this time was a visitor. We're sure it's not a lot of use in helping to identify where these Siskins are coming from, as you're well aware, the last one was number 7 but it might jog somebodys memory.

Happy Birding
Simon and Sue

Evening Birders,

Plenty of Meds today, one with a full summer hood, I was scoping an Iceland Gull stood on the mud flats. Sue then spotted another one on the river. We checked a ploughed field on the Shute road, plenty of Egrets, more than likely a Cattle Egret would be present. They were very distant and the wind was blowing the scope all over the place! All being well, i'll try to check tomorrow as they were sighted here recently.
Hope you enjoy our pictures of the pair.

Happy birding
Simon and Sue

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 57
Out and about with Bun this afternoon,first stop the coly just down river from bonehayne farm where the dipper showed well,then to farway countryside park where most winters you can score with Bramblings and we did,2 or three with the chaffinch's,
and then to Oxhill woods where Karens been seeing Woodcocks on a regular basis,it didn't take long before we had some good flight views of at least 5 birds,the picture below believe it or not is a woodcock,i think its the first picture of this species on this thread.
dipper 079-1.JPG
Whilst looking for the Dipper we had a bat flying up and down the river it was to big for a pipistrele and it wasn't long eared thats all i can tell you but i have got a couple of crap photos out of the 30 or so i took
dipper 064.JPG
dipper 068.JPG

Last edited:
If any local birder would like

The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland 1988-1991

or

Gulls, a guide to Identification PJ Grant second edition

please get in touch - my wife is trying to have a clear out!

Whilst looking for the Dipper we had a bat flying up and down the river it was to big for a pipistrele and it wasn't long eared thats all i can tell you but i have got a couple of crap photos out of the 30 or so i took

My money's on it being a Daubenton's Bat Myotis Daubentoni; a medium sized bat with light coloured underparts. This species habitually hunts over water. You probably saw it out in the day because it's used up all its fat reserves for the winter, and as it is too cold for insects during the night it HAS to gamble and come out in the day.

Now I will admit that I actually know naff all about Bats, and this info has come from someone who know alot about Bats!

Cracking few days on patch. Lots of Divers about with a Black-throated off Branscombe on Monday, and four Great Northerns (3 Branscombe, 1 Seaton) today. Loads of Red-throats everywhere. Best Grebe day EVER for the patch today, Red-necked Grebe off Branscombe 10:15 - 11:00 at least, and three Slavs in Seaton Hole area all day.

Iceland Gull(s) virtually always on the estuary now at low tide - with three in one sweep of the estuary on Sunday! A nice treat was a Jack Snipe flushed from Axe Marsh on Monday.

Patch year list now on 126 after four year ticks in three days.

And who saw Inside Out on BBC1 this evening? An EXCELLENT piece all about our local patch.

Last edited:
Evening birders,

A brief visit from a female Brambling this morning, but in our opinion 6 green finches were a very welcome sight as they seemed to be showing signs of decline. We checked the Egret field at Shute, only 8 little showing; no Cattle for us today.
Thank you Phil for your phone call, it was most welcome, so off to visit the Whoopers. 4 on our patch was a first for us. We also enjoyed a chat with John Chambers for the first time. The Iceland Gull was on Corination Corner this morning.
Hope you enjoy our pictures.

Happy Birding
Simon and Sue

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 42
Hi All,
I spent an hour at Coronation Corner from about 11.30, a dark-looking Iceland Gull was around for about 10 mins and just the one ad Med Gull. Also 14 Shoveler flew upriver.
Cheers,
Alex.

hi all, I saw steve and gavin this week and both said have I lost my bins??..........Well as of next week im back on the local scene to help and enjoy what seaton has to offer. Look forward to texting you what i find and getting back in to the whole birding scene. Its been too long!! all the best Rob

Visited Colyford Common this morning and had my first summer migrant in the form of a Sand Martin. Please find attached some of my recent pictures of the Colyford Rock Pipits showing that they are changing into a distinct summer plumage. There were 11 Rock Pipits this morning and as you can see from the photos the extent of plumage variation.

Attachments

• Clip (1) Rock 1st March 09.jpg
    Clip (1) Rock 1st March 09.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Clip (1) Rock 24th Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (1) Rock 24th Feb 09.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Clip (1) Rock 26th Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (1) Rock 26th Feb 09.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Clip (1) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (1) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Clip (2) Rock 1st March 09.jpg
    Clip (2) Rock 1st March 09.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 45
nice photos Ian, just drove past the river and saw nearly 10 birders looking at something, didnt recognise any so I hope it is just the iceland gull they are looking at! (i couldnt stop)

Even more photos of the Colyford Rock Pipits.

Attachments

• Clip (3) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (3) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Clip (4) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (4) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Clip (5) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (5) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Clip (7) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (7) Rock Feb 09.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Clip (8) Rock 24th Feb 09.jpg
    Clip (8) Rock 24th Feb 09.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
The Red necked grebe was still at Branscombe this morning also B t diver and 2 Mergansers flew west. A walk around kilmington quarries produced at least 1 Jack snipe.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back