• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginner digiscoper (1 Viewer)

hg1

Hi guys,

I am a long-time birder who has just recently become interested in digiscoping. My interest is not in producing works of art but in documenting unusual species. Right now I have a Zeiss diascope 85mm scope with a nikon coolpix 885 point and shoot. Up until now I have been jamming the camera lens up against the eyepiece and hoping for the best. This has been not too bad but it is pretty hit and miss. I'd like to go up to the next level. What does this require - new camera, adapter? Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'd be willing to pony up about $500-$700 tops.

Thanx

hg1 said:
Hi guys,

I am a long-time birder who has just recently become interested in digiscoping. My interest is not in producing works of art but in documenting unusual species. Right now I have a Zeiss diascope 85mm scope with a nikon coolpix 885 point and shoot. Up until now I have been jamming the camera lens up against the eyepiece and hoping for the best. This has been not too bad but it is pretty hit and miss. I'd like to go up to the next level. What does this require - new camera, adapter? Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'd be willing to pony up about $500-$700 tops.

Thanx

Hi Hg1
Like you, I have just started digiscoping. I went for a second hand coolpix 4500(which seemed to be well recommended on this forum) on ebay, which came with a remote shutter release(a must) and 2 adaptors. I payed about £200 for the lot. One of the adaptors worked ok with some vignetting, but when I put the other adaptor on it was even better because it allowed the camera lense to be flush with the scope eyepiece.
I am over the moon with the results from the Nikon 4500 which you can see in Andy Brights forum(click here)
Hope this has been some help.

regards

Paul

The spec shows that the 885 will take an external adapter. You could looks at getting the Zeiss adapter or look at a third party adapter , such as from http://www.scopetronix.com/ or Lensmate . Neil.
ps if you do a Google search on you gear you should get some appropriate hits

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back