• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bird Guides? (1 Viewer)

Of course, there is money as a motive to divide E and W North America. However, Peterson wrote his first field guide without that motive. In fact it was rejected by every publishing house there was, until Houghton Mifflin took a wild chance--and had a sell-out as soon as it was released!

In those days, there were only big manuals (Birds of America was one). Peterson is given credit for having invented the concept of field guides. But he wrote that he was not prepared to tackle western North America.

Because NA was settled by Europeans, generally from East to West, birds were given "default" eastern names, and to this day, western schoolkids may call a Steller's Jay (western) by a more familiar, wrong, eastern name, Blue Jay; or a Rufous Hummingbird (western) by a more familiar, wrong, eastern name, Ruby-throated Hummingbird. There are dozens like that. Growing up in Vancouver, I knew the Toronto names way before I learned the Vancouver names. That is your East TO West influence.

Similarly, we have all sorts of plants called "FALSE This-&-That" because their names had to be modified after the fact.

So, Peterson eventually undertook his western guide project as something quite ambitious indeed. He felt the 100th Meridian was a natural division; I believe it was originally the divide between tall- and short-grass prairie.

He saved a lot of birds' lives. As you know, the Christmas Bird Count replaced the former practice of shooting as many birds on Boxing Day as a person could. Before Peterson's field guides and good binoculars, bird-watching was done with a bag and a gun.

The new generation of no-kill birders were (seriously) deemed a lazy bunch.

As well, Peterson promoted the use of European names to replace every possible "hawk" name, in a time when hawks were routinely killed and hung out to dry on farmers' barbed-wire fences. (I've seen that myself.) Hence, Duck Hawk became Peregrine, Pigeon Hawk became Merlin, and Sparrow Hawk became American Kestrel. At the same time, farmers were told that these birds were as much friend as foe. The idea was to reduce the wanton killing, by at least separating falcons off from those despised birds known as "hawks."

Peterson was not the author of these changes. I am saying he put his influence strongly behind them, at a time when his influence was great.

All of this is interesting reading, and you can read it in his early field guide intros. I also recommend Wild America, by Peterson and his British friend James Fisher. They were such good friends, and they alternated writing the chapters and sub-chapters. Fisher was still quite young when he was killed in a car crash. That devastated Peterson, who lived half-a-lifetime longer; Peterson died just a few years ago, as THE elderly statesman of American bird-watching. You Brits over there might find Wild America (1959??) fascinating; and it features Fishers' droll insights into his very American friend.

Peterson thirdly brought out A Field Guide to the Birds of Texas, which scotch-taped chunks of his E and W guides together. He travelled throughout Texas with James Fisher, and, again, I doubt this Texas guide was primarily a money-motivated scheme. Things were simpler then. I think Peterson thought it was pretty cool to pay homage to this big state, as well as to address the question posed by Michael, above, in this thread.

James Fisher slyly observed that it was a good thing Peterson had written his field guides, because he (Peterson) depended on them a lot! [in Wild America]

Katy, regarding your query, the re-cover of Peterson's FG2WB did not claim to be a new edition. I have the two books here as I write. They are identical, word for word, right down to the ruler on the inside cover. Although on the inside of the new-cover book it says it's the 3rd edition, completely redone, etc, that is indeed what it says in the 3rd edition with the original cover.

-- I was angry with National G because booksellers' parlance is pretty sacred: an edit is not a rewrite; a revision is not a reprint; and (this to Bill Gates) a typeface is not a font. National G had to have been absolutely aware of what they were doing, and it was reprehensible--not just to birders, but within the entire community of the book trade.

-- I have both NGS books too, but I'm looking about me, and I can put my hand on only one of them at the moment. I was warning Beverlybaynes by memory, so anybody might please tell me off if I'm wrong: but I am pretty darned sure you'll find on comparison that the new black-cover NGS guide has no right to call itself a new edition: it is an intentional rip-off.

If any of you ever get a chance to buy an earlier field guide, you may wish to do so. The 1941 FG2WB contains all sorts of subspecies info, which is quite fascinating.

For some very strange reason, which i think is a temporary quirk, Peterson seems to have become suddenly unfashionable, as mentioned by streatham, above.

Definitely the writers of All the Birds of N. A. leave Peterson's name profoundly OUT of their book. All the Birds is quite incomplete; its title is very ironic. I'll just BET they failed to get an endorsement from Peterson; and that might be, as All the Birds changes things for the sake of change. Its sequencing is a nightmare, for example. And rare birds are given teensy insert pics--exactly what you DON'T want when you have something rare in your binoculars. However, the book does contain excellent habitat backgrounds. The arrogance of the work is such that it offers to sell you large-size renditions of its paintings, which are pretty basic insofar as bird illustrations go. I believe All the Birds has been bought out by Collins or another now.

Then there are husband-and-wife Stokes, who are money-makers, but seem dedicated to good work. Unfortunately, they steal from the E guide to make their W; I would have liked to see different photos, the expensive way no doubt.

Peterson was the idealist, and I feel I owe a lot to him. Perhaps he could be faulted on having no enemies--he painted a pretty rosy picture (maybe too much so) of EVERYone. A friend, Sutton, was given credit by the Audubon Society as being a brilliant artist, but Sutton was ruthless: his pictures represented slow death for his subjects, including rare species he painted in Mexico because they were protected in the USA. For example, he draped a rag over the wing of a heron he'd maimed in capture; then boasted about his painting depicting "the fierce look in the eye" of the desperate bird. In the 1970s I wrote a letter about that to the Audubon Society, which promptly wrote back that I owed everything I knew to nice people like Sutton, and I was a disgrace as a Parks Canada naturalist to dare be so thankless.

So, perhaps Peterson kept company with a variety of "types." One of his friends, Guy Griscom (spelling?), was slow to get binoculars--if I remember the story correctly, he may have been poor--and, as a result, became brilliant at bird calls. Remember, there were no tape recordings then.

So, what's in a book, huh? As far as West vs East goes, the combination guides are National G, the Golden Guide I praised earlier, and All the Birds of NA.

The E-W splits are Peterson, Stokes, and Sibley.

There are others too, such as the Smithsonian's cropped-photos-of-stuffed-birds field guide. I just realize now, as I write this, that I bragged earlier: I don't own that one.

Usually I don't carry a field guide. That might give me a certain status, either as being very good or being careless and arrogant and likely to get myself into trouble sooner or later. Well, I do protect myself with a microcassette recorder, so I can record every detail of every feather--except of course the one feather that's diagnostic, which, not having my field guide, I overlook. Oh well.

I always imagined a comfy life of having good friends over to chat by the fire in my den, and my own little conceit would be that, as host, I'd have every possible book at their disposal. I don't have that home yet, nor any money; and I have rather few friends who know anything at all about birds. But, I'm only 57, so perhaps things will turn again, as they have in years gone by.

So pardon the length of this--it's been fun to share these IMHOs with you, as though we were all gathered together in some cozy little den someplace!

Last edited:
This is a bit off-topic but I've got a book called Birds of the Pacific States by Ralph Hoffmann (Houghton Mifflin 1927) which I enjoy dipping into. It goes into all the subspecies and is full of charm.
Just to pick a species at random:
Rufous Hummingbird
An equable state of mind is evidently not necessary to good digestion among Hummingbirds. A blossoming lemon or orange grove in southern California in early spring is not only a banquet hall for migrating Hummingbirds but a battle ground as well. Hardly has a bird poised before a spray of blossoms before another feathered atom dashes toward the first, and the two are off in a tempest of angry squeaks.
You don't get that sort of word-picture in a field guide!

Last edited:
Carson said:
Katy, regarding your query, the re-cover of Peterson's FG2WB did not claim to be a new edition. I have the two books here as I write. They are absolutely identical, word for word, right down to the ruler on the inside cover. Although on the inside of the new-cover book it says it's the 3rd edition, completely redone, etc, that is indeed what it says in the 3rd edition with the original cover.

Hi, Carson,
My apologies for being unclear. I just meant that when a field guide gets re-issued in a completely different and updated-to-match cover (to match all the various other 'Peterson Field Guides' books), the immediate assumption is that the content is also updated. When the new cover catches your eye in the field but you don't get a chance to actually look at it, or if you buy it online based on the new cover, you are apt to think (and I believe, justifiably so) that it's also a new edition and updated, etc., etc. When it isn't (but you don't know that until you buy it), you can tend to have not-so-nice thoughts about why the re-issue in the first place. I don't think the intent was to deceive as it was just to make money off birders to have to have "the latest and greatest" of everything even if it's an exercise in form over substance.

I sure didn't mean to denigrate the guide itself. I think it's fabulous and Peterson is certainly one of my personal heroes. I don't know why the tendency to look down the nose at this guide, either. Silly.

And BTW, thanks for all that interesting background. Anytime you want to host a cozy conclave of a few hundred of your closest birding friends, be sure to post a message here! ;)

Surreybirder said:
This is a bit off-topic but I've got a book called Birds of the Pacific States by Ralph Hoffmann (Houghton Mifflin 1927) which I enjoy dipping into. It goes into all the subspecies and is full of charm.
Just to pick a species at random:

You don't get that sort of word-picture in a field guide!

I absolutely *love* books like that, too. There's an old series by Bent, I think the name is, that is wonderful. Lots of behavioral and habitat observations.

Um, I think something's wrong with this thread. I got an emailed notice that there was a new message posted (from Carson), but when I came here (using the link that's embedded in the email msg), it's not here. Hitting "refresh" doesn't bring it up, either. Anybody else having a problem?

I love the sibley book (Eastern North America version), however, i would like to see a photographic version, instead of hand-drawn images. helps with identification.

gthang, the Stokes guides and also a pair we haven't mentioned, the older Audubon guides, are photographic. They are quite good. (E+W Separate.)

I don't recommend the Stokes' guides myself, but advertising info can be seen here:
http://www.twbookmark.com/books/28/0316818100/

The Audubon guides are no longer in Vogue, but you can see info about them here:
http://hardinoptical.com/nataudsocfie2.html

There is also a very small one by Kaufmann, using cut-out photo images, but it is not Kaufmann's usual high standard.

Let me suggest a book that is REALLY good if you like photo images. Be careful with this title; though--there are two books, one pretty quick & dirty, the other a real triumph. It's called Birds of Ontario, it's written by Dr. Janice M. Hughes (her Ph.D. is in Ornithology), and it has small but beautifully clear photos. The book is very, very good, challenging the best standard anywhere. It would do for a LOT of eastern NA. I didn't mention it earlier, because photo-illustrated field guides are not usually favoured as much.

It is published in part by the Royal Ontario Museum, so don't be confused by the "ROM" references if you check out info here: http://www.rom.on.ca/news/releases/public.php?mediakey=v1il98ok6d

BTW, another excellent book, much smaller than the Ontario one though, is Birds of Alaska, by Robert H. Armstrong. Again, there are 2 books; I think he wrote both. You would want the updated version, which I believe was 1995 or later. It was by far the better book. These are bigger photos; very good indeed. However, by comparison, the Ontario book would serve as a field guide over quite a big chunk of the continent. Anyway, Birds of Alaska info can be seen here:
http://www.almudo.com/cgi-bin/storelang.cgi?input_item=0882404628&input_search_type=image

Edit: Gthang, I got your PM. I'm not an authority on world birds, so I'd be pouring over the same references as you. Perhaps you might change the title of your thread to get more attention. Maybe try something like: "From Bronx Zoo--Help with World IDs??" That might draw in a few world experts.

Last edited:
Katy, my apologies: that was my fault. I have several bad forum habits: I forget to log in, which in some forums results in my posts being by "guest"; I ALWAYS edit after the fact, so my longer posts tend to change substantially within their first half hour of life; and, worst of all, I totally lose confidence in what I have posted, and delete the entire post. Oops.

So that happened here.

Well, let's see if I can remember what I said.

First, I really like your point of view and your obvious knowledge, so the reason I said so much about Peterson was just a by-the-way thing; not meant defensively.

I very much enjoy your postings.

Then I made a dumb reference I just CAN'T repeat. I still am mildly curious "where in Arizona," though. I mentioned my van had taken me a few times to Organ Pipe, but I've never been as far as New Mexico.

And, getting a bit far from a books-thread, I mentioned I have a love for Costa Rica, but CR is like an unfortunate choice in a lover--beautiful, but not at all well-behaved.

So there you are. Sorry.

Here's an edit! --Yes, you're right about not judging a new edition by its cover. The difference with the NGS book [in the URL below, in the next message] is that it claims the 4th edition to be distinct from the 3rd edition. Well, it IS "different," technically, but only minimally. I'm sure they said, "What is the very least work we can do to call this a new edition, and have people buy it all over again?"

The URL below, in the next box, disagrees with my viewpoint, so you might want to check it out. Actually I don't think the NGS makes a very good field guide. Unlike both Peterson and Sibley, the NGS is a committee; and we all know that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Last edited:
Carson said:
Katy, my apologies: that was my fault. I have several bad forum habits: I forget to log in, which in some forums results in my posts being by "guest"; I ALWAYS edit after the fact, so my longer posts tend to change substantially within their first half hour of life; and, worst of all, I totally lose confidence in what I have posted, and delete the entire post. Oops. So that happened here.

Oh, not to worry, it was just so odd and I'd never had it happen before, so I of course would *never* think of operator error as being the cause. ;)

Carson said:
Well, let's see if I can remember what I said.

The body of your original post showed up in my inbox, so I do have that. Hmmmmm... want me to repost for you? LOL! It was just at the forum level it didn't show up, so I couldn't post a reply.

Carson said:
First, I really like your point of view and your obvious knowledge, so the reason I said so much about Peterson was just a by-the-way thing; not meant defensively. I very much enjoy your postings.

Well, thanks, but I'm really not all that knowledgable except for a very few species with which I'm familiar. However, I appreciated the elaboration about the Peterson stuff because I didn't think I was very clear at first myself.

Carson said:
Then I made a dumb reference I just CAN'T repeat. I still am mildly curious "where in Arizona," though. I mentioned my van had taken me a few times to Organ Pipe, but I've never been as far as New Mexico.

Oh, okay, so that would be a "no" on the repost? LOL! I'm in northeast AZ, in Overgaard, halfway between Payson and Show Low, if that helps narrow it down. It usually doesn't since no one's ever heard of more than about four cities in AZ: Phoenix, Tucson, Sedona and Flagstaff, and I'm hours from any of those.

Insofar as the NGS guide, to be brutally candid, I don't care about it and haven't upgraded from my 2nd edition that I've had for years. It's not one I use, I just still have it from way back.

OT this thread, but I do wonder what the ratio of female to male birders is? Anybody know? In the field, at least on trips I've been on, it's about equal or maybe a slight edge in favor of men. But on pelagic trips, waaaaaay more guys than gals. I wonder why?

Hmm. See what you mean. I was looking through my old map wanderings; then I tried the net. VERY interesting country; finally located it. I had breakfast one morning in Globe, where 3, not 2, eggs were the norm on the cholesterol special; surprising how checkered table cloths and 3, not 2, eggs stay in one's memory for years....

I'm 6300 feet lower, and 43 inches of rain more; and I'll bet I'm a zillion stars-at-night poorer! You must be very wealthy, Katy, in stars. I wonder if Pinyon Jays live where you do; one of my most-wanted on my travels for years; I've never found them.

I did find twenty species of birds I'd never seen before, in Arizona, with which to decorate my life list. And one of my most perplexing non-records was there. I'm sure I saw a Crissal Thrasher in Boyce Canyon, I think it's called, not far east of Tempe. (I'd bought a bright pink sweatshirt at the University, but I think my girlfriend of the time stole it.) Crissal Thrashers, though, are s'posed to be conspicuously rich chestnut-coloured under their tail-coverts; and, if I saw that, I never recorded it or remembered it. So I never added the species to my life list. Every book agreed that, if I'd really seen a Crissal Thrasher, I'd have noticed its crissum. Oh well.

I love Arizona; well, the living parts: so much lonely beauty there. Very strange opposites in that country. I loved the Arizona accent in the women, not so much in the men--and I loved the gorgeous natural beauty, but not the jet fighters and the ravaged deserts. Arizona tore my soul apart, its opposites were so extreme. If I lived in such a place, I think I'd choose to be there a thousand years ago, or maybe a thousand years in the future. Then I think I could love the whole thing.

Well, my feeble excuse for being off-topic is that books do this, and this is why I love books: words are real things, and they invite us in. The birds in bird books are real, and Sibley and Peterson are real. We get to know both birds and people and we form our alliances with the ones we'd love to meet.

As a boy, I am sure I read Peterson's 1941 Field Guide to Western Birds cover-to-cover. It was older than I was, as everything used to be. I just stared at the very few colour plates, and I never memorized anything purposely, but the birds just became part of me. Sometimes when I saw birds for the first time, I knew their names already. The books were sacred, and the birds were sacred.

Of all the miracles in my life, I feel richer-than-rich for colour vision. It's not expected among us mammals; most of us do mainly earth-tones. I don't think too much of the human brain, but I love that human vision. And I suppose that has a lot to do with why I love my rainbows of birds, within the pages of books and also floating through real mornings with real mists rising to let me live another day.

All these things are treasures. The birds fly out of great ancient pirate-chests of treasures, and the bird books are just the ledgers tabulating how much turquoise and pink and scarlet we are so privileged to sort through.

-- No wonder I erase my postings! Well, it's coming on 3 a.m. (welcome to March, 2004), which is when my imagination is like a wild creature, and most refuses to obey the simple standard of forum posts: "stay on topic." Ever read the book called Blue Highways, by William Least Heat Moon, Katy?

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread again! Sorry..

Can't add anything in terms of books, but...

If you are moving to Monterey Bay-area, you certainly shouldn't miss (don't think it's been mentioned):

http://montereybay.com/creagrus/

-by Don Roberson, who's also the author of "MONTEREY BIRDS".

The "Bird Families of the World" on the above page is great aswell.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back