• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best chance of a Cirl Bunting (1 Viewer)

SUGS

Hi . Is Broadsands my best chance of seeing a Cirl Bunting at this time of year .Any tips or Grid Ref appreciated as limited on time . P.m if prefered.

Cheers.

p.s I can bring my own budgie seed !

Last edited:
Sure, back of the second car park.

Quote from Mike Langman :

"Broadsands, Cirl Buntings - anyone wish to get good close views on a day when I have not dropped seed this winter (courtesy of RSPB) just take a bag of foreign finch seed or Budgie seed available in any pet shop - please don't put cheap 'wild bird seed' mixes with wheat and corn, in it attracts crows, pigeons and rats so frightening the Cirl Buntings off!"

If you park just outside the main car park on the road, parking is free. Walk through the first car park into the second one. The marsh verge that separates the 2 car parks is very good for tristis Chiffchaff. The Cirls are fed in the top right hand side of the car park at the end of the beach huts. If you have time viewing the bay from the golf course benches can turn up some good grebes and divers.

If you park just outside the main car park on the road, parking is free. Walk through the first car park into the second one. The marsh verge that separates the 2 car parks is very good for tristis Chiffchaff. The Cirls are fed in the top right hand side of the car park at the end of the beach huts.

Although paying & displaying may help local economy and your car makes a pretty good hide....

Visited this afternoon and managed a brief view of a couple of Cirl's diving into the hedge.Later an obliging male perched on top of the hedge for 10 minutes . The local Dunnocks and Robins seemed to be enjoying the seed .

Thanks for your help.

Labrador Bay is a nice alternative not too far away. You can park right on the edge of the coastal reserve and enjoy the Cirls in a natural habitat as well as look out for all sorts of other stuff if that floats your boat. More appealing than a tarmac setting.

Sure, back of the second car park.

Quote from Mike Langman :

"Broadsands, Cirl Buntings - anyone wish to get good close views on a day when I have not dropped seed this winter (courtesy of RSPB) just take a bag of foreign finch seed or Budgie seed available in any pet shop - please don't put cheap 'wild bird seed' mixes with wheat and corn, in it attracts crows, pigeons and rats so frightening the Cirl Buntings off!"

Totally agree, as I met Mike Langman myself on the March 9-11th 2012 trip to Devon trip with the Travelling Naturalist

He did have that special bag of seed (Hi Mike :hi: ) and the Cirl Buntings relished all the morsels put out for them. There where a few Reed Buntings amongst the Cirl's too for double the viewing - great opportunity for a bit of serious camera work.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Visited this afternoon and managed a brief view of a couple of Cirl's diving into the hedge.Later an obliging male perched on top of the hedge for 10 minutes . The local Dunnocks and Robins seemed to be enjoying the seed .

Thanks for your help.

At least 2 males singing yesterday afternoon at Prawle near the "bottom" car park despite the efforts of 2 dog walkers to disrupt things.

Can anyone tell me when the feeding station at Broadsands operates? I've heard that it's only in winter; can anyone tell me if feeding has begun yet and if not when it is likely to start?

The seed for theCirl Bunting feeding station in the second car park at Broadsands Torbay is dropped from end of October to end of March (if cold harsh weather continues, I will carry on feeding into April)

pm me for details for a banker place at labrador bay, and ill save you a lot of walking up and down steep hills in vain. i had 27 feeding together on the deck yesterday, and more in the adjacent hedge. an amazing sight believe me, and if you just sit down and be quiet, they're pathetically confiding at times.. 10/10 for the wow factor.

I will be in Devon and in particular the South Hams looking for Cirl Buntings next Friday / Saturday (weather permitting).

Any updates or changes to the information already posted or as you were?

cheers in advance.

I'm off to South Devon for a long weekend in Devon from Saturday morning... I'd appreciate if anyone could give me any info on the best chance of seeing Cirl Buntings at this time.

Hi gambirder. Prawle is generally reckoned to be favourite for this species, but to be honest they are not hard to find almost anywhere near the south Devon coast. Where are you staying ?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back