• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best value sunflower hearts available in NE US? (1 Viewer)

Laughing Kookaburra

Can anyone recommend best value sunflower hearts sources in the US, particularly in the NE? Many stores sell small bags at very high prices. The best I've seen so far was 25 lbs for $50 on Amazon.

Can anyone recommend best value sunflower hearts sources in the US, particularly in the NE? Many stores sell small bags at very high prices. The best I've seen so far was 25 lbs for $50 on Amazon.
Like a lot of things the price has risen quite a lot due apparently to a drought in Canada. I bought some from a local feed store at $37 for a loose 10lb bag. The birds are not that keen on it from what I've seen.

Last edited:
At 5-10 lb size it's hard to get better prices. I'm thinking along the lines of 25 lbs bags and higher. When you say the birds weren't keen on it, were you feeding just the seed (hearts, meaning unshelled), or shelled sunflower seeds? The unshelled seeds attract way more birds. And if not sunflower hearts, what do you feed?

With the jump in prices I have switched to using black oil sunflower seeds. Even the finches and other small birds will eat these despite the shell. With the sunflower kernels the large or whole hearts were too big for birds and they would get spit out and land on the ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back