• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Barry hill sits almost in front of our house. We are situated on farmland and the wildlife around blows my mind on a daily basis, may I never grow bored of it. I'd like to share what I see every day, whether at home or on our wanderings around the area.

I'm a walker, who owns a couple of cameras and carrying those has opened my eyes to everything around me, my main focus now being on birds so, I'm more a photo guy than bird expert, hopefully you can help out with that ;)

Please feel free to correct any ID errors, it's one reason I joined the Forums.

Rather than clog up posts with lots of photographs, I'll link to a Flickr album that I hope everyone can access and limit my photo posts to those new to me or I am unsure of :)

Looking forward to chatting, sharing and being corrected :)

Daily report Sept. 2nd 2022

Attachments

• Red Kite fly past.jpg
    Red Kite fly past.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Whinchat female on Gorse.jpg
    Whinchat female on Gorse.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • Small Tortoiseshell in the grass closeup.jpg
    Small Tortoiseshell in the grass closeup.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • Red Admiral on banana on the midden.jpg
    Red Admiral on banana on the midden.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Pied Wagtail juvenile on the fence.jpg
    Pied Wagtail juvenile on the fence.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Daily Melee.jpg
    Daily Melee.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Buzzard colours - crop.jpg
    Buzzard colours - crop.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm looking forward to your reports lad.

Don't ever think pictures 'clog up' a post. They're lovely to look at in the context of the report.

I'm looking forward to your reports lad.

Don't ever think pictures 'clog up' a post. They're lovely to look at in the context of the report.
Did you have a look at the Flickr album, is it better to select some phots and add to the thread?

Mmmm.... well it is entirely up to you how you do it. But I'd say so yes. By the time you've read the post and gone to FlickR you've forgotten what you've said (well at least I have LOL).

The pictures on FlickR are a bit anonymous.

Have a look at Andrew's Torry thread for how it could appear: Birds fae Torry

But as I say, your work, so it's your choice.

Saturday September 3rd
Day off today, or, day out. Went into Dundee to visit the Mills Observatory, had some food in St Andrews Brewing Co. loved it and home for a wee nip or two.
Not a lot of observing done but, I can see that Balgay Park and Cemetery could be interesting. Other than that, the usual suspect all turned up at the feeders; Chaffinches, Siskin, Tree Sparrows, still feeding young, House Sparrow, Great Spotted Woodpecker young, a couple of Goldfinches, Blue & Great Tits. Those Siskin are feisty wee so'n'so's eh? Got a couple of videos of them defending the feeder and fighting amongst themselves.

Attachments

• Fez sneaking through the garden.jpg
    Fez sneaking through the garden.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
A nice start!! Siskins aren't 'leisurely' here.... they're in and out like greased lightning usually!!! On the very rare occasions that they visit.

Guess you have some fun with that pheasant eh? That's a great picture. Thanks.

A nice start!! Siskins aren't 'leisurely' here.... they're in and out like greased lightning usually!!! On the very rare occasions that they visit.

Guess you have some fun with that pheasant eh? That's a great picture. Thanks.
Today has been a little bit special, like the Sparrow hawk on Friday, still working on it :)

Sunday September 4th
Well, gie dreich the day eh? (A bit grey and damp today)
I actually haven't left the house all day, been a totally relaxed, editing day, took a LOT of photos over the last few days and they all take time to check, delete or edit. Good music helps me get by ;)
The regular garden gang have all been present most of the day, despite the pouring rain for most of the morning.\
First surprise of the day was the Red-Legged Partridge and Hare visit. Just outside the door, one munching on grass / clover, the other just standing staring at the doors!
The dull grey day has made it more awkward getting good shots with a long lens but, another surprise was a Buzzard, chasing a small bird, I think, landing on the back fence as I stood watching from the living room, even stayed in place while I grabbed the big boy (camera and long lens) ;) and grabbed a few shots.
The Yellowhammers also seem to be coming back from their nesting areas and feeding in the filed out back, along with a Reed Bunting which has made an appearance a couple of times now. Not sure if it's a young male, or a female?
Filmed the Siskin on a feeder because they're so feisty and watched the young GSW visit a few times. There appear to be at least two young GSW, one is developing the red neck marking of an adult male, the other, still red headed.
Watched the Kites cruising the field and spotted a very tatty young Buzzard on a bale, maybe the same one as the other day?
So today has had;
Siskin
Tree Sparrow
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Chaffinch
Robin
Wren
Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting
Red Kite
Buzzard
Rooks aplenty, in the field
A small flock of Canada geese this morning, heading towards Lintrathen.
Still no Dunnock ;)
Almost forgot, around a dozen Swallows still swirling around :)

Attachments

• The Partridge and the Hare - and you are.jpg
    The Partridge and the Hare - and you are.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Buzzard on the fence.jpg
    Buzzard on the fence.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Red-Legged Partridge youngster.jpg
    Red-Legged Partridge youngster.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Yellowhammer and friend on the fence.jpg
    Yellowhammer and friend on the fence.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Great Tit on the fence.jpg
    Great Tit on the fence.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Tree Sparrow on the back fence.jpg
    Tree Sparrow on the back fence.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Young Reed Bunting in the tree.jpg
    Young Reed Bunting in the tree.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Grumpy Buzzard on the back fence.jpg
    Grumpy Buzzard on the back fence.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Look back in anger.jpg
    Look back in anger.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Buzzard on the fence - leaving.jpg
    Buzzard on the fence - leaving.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
What cracking pictures!!! I particularly like the Buzzard take-off image!!!

Quite jealous of your garden!!

The rain cleared here late morning and the sun is shining now.

I love a good patch thread, so happy to see this. Do you have any wetland or river within your boundaries? When I started my Seafield to Kinghorn thread, it was all very coastal, but when I added Kinghorn loch and surrounding woodland/pastures, it really opened up new bird worlds for me. The more habitat types you can add in a manageable area, the better.

Photos are great. Personally, I like to see a few attached to the post, even if just as a taster, but will drop in to your Flickr album every now and again. What type of camera set up are you using?

I love a good patch thread, so happy to see this. Do you have any wetland or river within your boundaries? When I started my Seafield to Kinghorn thread, it was all very coastal, but when I added Kinghorn loch and surrounding woodland/pastures, it really opened up new bird worlds for me. The more habitat types you can add in a manageable area, the better.

Photos are great. Personally, I like to see a few attached to the post, even if just as a taster, but will drop in to your Flickr album every now and again. What type of camera set up are you using?
Good morning @Gander and cheers for your comments. The house has fields front and back with farm buildings on one side. The southern side has deciduous woodland across the wee valley and the northern side faces the Glens with the Isla in between. That southern side has a decent stream running through it with a reasonable reed bed area, I got Sedge and Reed warblers, Reed Buntings and most recently the Whinchat.
The farmers are eco-friendly so lots of hedges, trees and moorland around.
I go up to my folks in Ardersier about once a month so that's my coastal haunt along with the ranges there, when the flags aren't flying!
I bought a TrackCam but haven't really used it yet. I have two Nikons and a Sigma 150-600, Nikon 300mm + 2 x converter but it's an older lens and SO slow to focus, my eyes aren't good enough for manual lol
I'm kind of overwhelmed by the birdlife so far, the Buzzard on our back fence yesterday being a typical example.
I take too many photos for the gallery and for most of these posts, hence the Flickr link. (y)

What cracking pictures!!! I particularly like the Buzzard take-off image!!!

Quite jealous of your garden!!

The rain cleared here late morning and the sun is shining now.
I'm not sure you'd be jealous if you saw how much grass there is to cut! I've not actually managed to cut all of it yet, the farmer asked us to keep some of it wild, for the birds etc.

Monday September 5th 2022 (AM)
Morning all 👋 did I say dreich yesterday? Awfa dreich this morn', p!sh!n doon! (Raining heavily) Clearing a bit now, we need some good downpours mind you. Woke up to the leveret again, outside chomping on Clover I think, grabbed a wee phone pic of it and the entire Red-legged Partridge family were pecking about under the feeders, nice to see although the farmer wouldn't agree ;)
I wandered outside as the rain eased a bit to find we have a wee 'shroom patch, which is nice, walked round the corner and fez did his Monty Python run away from me, they're hilarious birds to watch.
Watched a couple of flocks of Canada geese fly over, coming from Lintrathen direction.
The usual suspects are all out there this morning, now that the wee shower!!! has stopped and the big glowing orb is re-appearing. Still no Dunnock!
Did I mention Pigeons?
Off out today, again, might get a wee look around later (y)

Attachments

• Fez sneaks away - Yow ain't seen me, roight.jpg
    Fez sneaks away - Yow ain't seen me, roight.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • GSW youngster on the tree outside my window.jpg
    GSW youngster on the tree outside my window.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Red-Legged Partridge - There's wally.jpg
    Red-Legged Partridge - There's wally.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Red-Legged Partridge family - Where's wally.jpg
    Red-Legged Partridge family - Where's wally.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Red-Legged Partridge - Do I stay or do I go now.jpg
    Red-Legged Partridge - Do I stay or do I go now.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Our shroom patch.jpg
    Our shroom patch.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Canada geese small group.jpg
    Canada geese small group.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • Canada geese larger group.jpg
    Canada geese larger group.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Our shroom patch.jpg
    Our shroom patch.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Is he the one that owns the little 'duck pond' at your road end?

I've never really seen anything on it though.

Is he the one that owns the little 'duck pond' at your road end?

I've never really seen anything on it though.
Aye Shanzie, lovely people. I've not seen much other than Dragonflies and Butterflies, a few bugs too, the area around it is planted with wildflowers. The whole lane has very varied shrubs and trees; Gooseberries, Plums, Hazels, Apple trees, it's wonderful.
Edit: Our farmer doesn't own that, Shanzie do, along with the Souterrain on the hill next to the lane.

Last edited:
No Dunnock eh?
Isn't life stranger? as a well known band sang in the 60's. Not long after this mornings update and while still chatting on here, I turned to my window and there was a wee bird on the fence that I wasn't sure of....

The first I've seen on my patch (y)

I popped out to survey the back field and watch the Rooks messing around on the bales, they can be so comical in their very clever way.

The "supervisor" stood on top, Right, grab an end each and ..... Lift!
Then I noticed the blurred outline in the background, that young Buzzard again by the look of it.
I'm told there's a wild few days ahead, might be all quiet over that hill ⛈ī¸đŸŒŠī¸đŸŒ¨ī¸

Attachments

• Hedge Sparrow : Dunnock finally appears.jpg
    Hedge Sparrow : Dunnock finally appears.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • Hedge Sparrow : Dunnock finally appears - crop.jpg
    Hedge Sparrow : Dunnock finally appears - crop.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Rooks on bales - Right, grab an end each and lift!.jpg
    Rooks on bales - Right, grab an end each and lift!.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Rooks on bales - Right, grab an end each and lift! - crop.jpg
    Rooks on bales - Right, grab an end each and lift! - crop.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
Well done!!! Said there'd be one around somewhere, didn't I LOL!!

Yeah it's great watching corvids - very entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back