• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bin too heavy? Try this. (1 Viewer)

I usually carry a brillo pad for my scope & camera lenses. This is a very quick and sure way to get the dust and grit off-they tend to get a bit mucky in the back of my pickup (probably all the cement dust etc). I have recently noticed a slight deteriation in the image quality for some reason.
Glad to share my knowledge with lesser mortals.

I usually carry a brillo pad for my scope & camera lenses. This is a very quick and sure way to get the dust and grit off-they tend to get a bit mucky in the back of my pickup (probably all the cement dust etc). I have recently noticed a slight deteriation in the image quality for some reason.QUOTE]

T-Cut is good for restoring the gloss to lenses but I can't think why this isn't approved of by ANY optics manufacturer!

Ron

Last edited:
Hi John. As a side note, have you spotted any good birds lately? Ron

Hi Ron.

When I experienced my giddy spell and fell down spraining my wrist, I was obviously "out" for a couple of minutes, as when I "came to" and opened my eyes there were three Griffon Vultures and a small flock of Black Kites on a nearby telephone pylon looking down at me, drooling. However, what was more perturbing was that a great big dung beetle had crawled up the inside leg of my shorts. I think that the resulting frenzied dance as I tried to remove it from its warm resting place persuaded the birds that there would be no dinner for them that day.

Seriously though, myself and two clients had excellent prolonged views of a family of Spanish Iperial Eagles (2 adults and 2 very mature young) on their nest last week. We also had close-up views (less than 60 metres) of 2 Ospreys and a number of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse.

It's good to hear that someone in your position is not moping about feeling sorry for yourself. The window cleaning could be the start of something good. Regard it as the first rung on the ladder to something bigger and better.

Have you thought about getting rid of your assistant and getting your wife to wring your 'chammy'. Could save you a bob or two.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ron

I don't know about the suggestion of getting his wife to wring his "chammy" on the job. I think that In addition to his physical problems, he may find himself with some legal problems.o:D

Hello again,

Promised to write about my visit to this weekend's Binocular Festival,
just wrote a lengthy report, almost finished, pressed the wrong button and now the whole thing is gone.
I'll try again tomorrow, I'm off to bed for now.

Greetings, Ronald

So I was at this weekend's Binocular Festival with Zeiss, Swaro and Leica stands, wearing my FL's on the already infamous yoke, brought my Diascope and tripod too because I wanted to check out the 23x fixed eyepiece.
When I arrived it was already a bit crowded and taking care not to poke anyone's eye out with my yoke ends, I worked my way toward the Zeiss stand. The Zeiss representative, still busy talking to other visitors, glanced at me, turned and said with a laugh : " Now, THAT is one original way to carry your bins! ".
I started explaining the reasons for my odd-looking device and several people listened as well. When I asked the Zeiss rep to sell me a bino harness so I could take it home with me and compare it to the yoke to see which one would be more comfy, he answered : " We don't sell bino harnesses, but won't you have a look at the new wide neck-strap with air-cushioning? ".
I explained politely that any neck-strap won't take the weight from the neck, no matter what cushioning, and the Zeiss man agreed on that, remaining the charming personality he was. He then said : " Well, obviously you have found a way that works for you, but I don't think very many people are willing to follow your example! ".
I thanked him for listening to me, and he then invited me to take a look at the binoculars in the Zeiss stand. The next hour and a half I checked out Zeiss, Swaro, Leica and Bushnell bins, on which I will elaborate in another post because it would be too much off-topic here.

I'm beginning to have some doubts on this yoke carrier, not because I'm embarrassed to wear them in public, but they are starting to get annoying pressing my lower neck vertebrae more noticeable than before. That is mainly caused by the wooden piece itself, it has the wrong shape though the relief in carrying the bins obscured this issue in the beginning.
I'm afraid I will be back on square 1 if cushioning doesn't help; seems I have to come up with something else, or use one of those dreadful bino harnesses, brrr...

In the meantime I'm back on the buckle ( see attached thumbnail elsewhere in this thread ).

Greetings, Ronald

You're a brave man Ronald!

The concept is obviously something that works (easing the load), but just not comfortably enough at the moment. It's a question now of ergonomics - the yoke method is good, the yoke's design is not - naturally, because you're using an off-the-shelf (or should that be off-the-rail?) clothes hanger!

Now you'll have to work through some prototypes that address the comfort issues....and maybe also the 'what the hell is he wearing?' issue too!!

Set Little Ron to work!!

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. I am assuming you have removed the hook from the hanger - you wouldn't want to be hoisted by your own petard!

I awoke yesterday and decided to go bird watching. I also decided to try a different yoke (still not happy withyour idea-sorry if that sounds rude but there are draw-backs). I hit on the idea of using the handle bars off my racing bike-proper shape, can hang a pair of bins off each end and a counterweight at the back! Anyway I was in a bit of a rush and didn't have time to diconnect the handle bars from the bike so I put the lot on. At first I thought "this must look rediculous". However I quickly ralised that there were lots of other places to hang things such as the pedals, the seat etc. I had a great day out although it was quite heavy to carry all day. When I got back my wife asked why I had carried it-why didn't you just ride it she asked. Stupid woman' knows nothing !!

I awoke yesterday and decided to go bird watching. I also decided to try a different yoke (still not happy withyour idea-sorry if that sounds rude but there are draw-backs). I hit on the idea of using the handle bars off my racing bike-proper shape, can hang a pair of bins off each end and a counterweight at the back! Anyway I was in a bit of a rush and didn't have time to diconnect the handle bars from the bike so I put the lot on. At first I thought "this must look rediculous". However I quickly ralised that there were lots of other places to hang things such as the pedals, the seat etc. I had a great day out although it was quite heavy to carry all day. When I got back my wife asked why I had carried it-why didn't you just ride it she asked. Stupid woman' knows nothing !!

Try a motor-bike next time.
The extra weight will give an extra push,
particularly when walking downhill.

Tomgineer*

*I haven't tested this method either.

You're a brave man Ronald!

The concept is obviously something that works (easing the load), but just not comfortably enough at the moment. It's a question now of ergonomics - the yoke method is good, the yoke's design is not - naturally, because you're using an off-the-shelf (or should that be off-the-rail?) clothes hanger!

Now you'll have to work through some prototypes that address the comfort issues....and maybe also the 'what the hell is he wearing?' issue too!!

Set Little Ron to work!!

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. I am assuming you have removed the hook from the hanger - you wouldn't want to be hoisted by your own petard!

Hi Mook,

The concept is sound. Prototypes that are more comfortable AND look cool will be the next step. Need a brilliant idea, I'm going to the hardware store this week and see what they have in stock, haha!

I would have wished the Zeiss rep immediately had phoned to Germany to put the Zeiss engineers to work on a nice ergonomic leather yoke, pity him for not picking up the idea of the century, so it's all up to me again.
Maybe I could get Swarovski interested, a nice leather yoke would go great with a lederhosen!

Ofcourse I removed the hook, I may be crazy but I'm not daft.

Greetings, Ronald

David,

I'm sorry to say this, but your wife is right. You should know by know that a proper yoke does not require a counterweight; anyway next time you decide to go out birding take a children's bike. That is much less heavy on your back and you won't look too ridiculous!

The pedals and the seat are not ergonomically designed to hang things from,
stuff tends to bungle so I suggest you use cycle-bags.
Enjoy your trips!

Greetings, Ronald

David,

I'm sorry to say this, but your wife is right. You should know by know that a proper yoke does not require a counterweight; anyway next time you decide to go out birding take a children's bike. That is much less heavy on your back and you won't look too ridiculous!

The pedals and the seat are not ergonomically designed to hang things from,
stuff tends to bungle so I suggest you use cycle-bags.
Enjoy your trips!

Greetings, Ronald

This may work in Holland (where you are based) but here we have things called hills.
Anyway I tried your idea and it was so much more difficult!! My wife says I should have taken my bike off and just used the childrens but again 'what does she know about such technical things?'
When I get out of this police cell I will try something different-aren't people easily offended-just because I knocked his 3 year old child off the bike and stole it !!

But back to the original problem, the weight. Anything over 700g feels heavy to me. This makes them rugged and last a long time, but I think there is no reason to not develop lighter materials. The composites are plenty strong for normal use. They may not stand temperature extremes, though.

I have yet to find a 10x32 I like that is also light, so I use 10x40 Zeiss and a lighter 10x42 Monarch. My nearly 800g porros get little use.

This may work in Holland (where you are based) but here we have things called hills.
Anyway I tried your idea and it was so much more difficult!! My wife says I should have taken my bike off and just used the childrens but again 'what does she know about such technical things?'
When I get out of this police cell I will try something different-aren't people easily offended-just because I knocked his 3 year old child off the bike and stole it !!

So, while motorcycle chains worn as counter-weights on the back are seemingly falling out of favour, why not revert to some simple, time-proven, montgolfierian technology?
How about a red balloon filled with just enough Helium to provide some up-lift? It can be tied to the central hinge region of the binoculars or even to the neck part of the strap, so it will be out of sight.
It even serves as a signal for birders who got lost in unknown, swampy habitats. Locate the ballon, hope the owner is still attached to the other end.

A colour code could be decided by which bird-watchers could be assigned and grouped:
a green(horn) balloon for newbies.
a blue one for the cool boys who leave their dark sunglasses on while they peep through their ultra-bright new 7x42 FL
a pink one for the ladybird(er)s
a shocking-red one for the leader of the pack, indicating his superior standing and wisdom within his flock of disciples.

An idea worth pondering .... maybe patenting.
Tom

That's a minor offence in Holland, we just get a fine here and are allowed to keep the child's bike; I'm sorry you have to do time but look on the bright side: you can start a jail list ( birds seen from within your cell ), that is if you have a window.

Greetings, Ronald

So, while motorcycle chains worn as counter-weights on the back are seemingly falling out of favour, why not revert to some simple, time-proven, montgolfierian technology?
How about a red balloon filled with just enough Helium to provide some up-lift? It can be tied to the central hinge region of the binoculars or even to the neck part of the strap, so it will be out of sight.
It even serves as a signal for birders who got lost in unknown, swampy habitats. Locate the ballon, hope the owner is still attached to the other end.

A colour code could be decided by which bird-watchers could be assigned and grouped:
a green(horn) balloon for newbies.
a blue one for the cool boys who leave their dark sunglasses on while they peep through their ultra-bright new 7x42 FL
a pink one for the ladybird(er)s
a shocking-red one for the leader of the pack, indicating his superior standing and wisdom within his flock of disciples.

An idea worth pondering .... maybe patenting.
Tom

Tom,

That's a good idea! Nothing better to beat gravity than helium.

It immediately occurred to me we can skip the balloon stage and fill the bins themselves with helium. In order to get sufficient uplift the engineers will have to invent huge bins, of some composite material, to get enough helium compressed into them. This way you carry the bins floating in front of your eyes, in perfect balance, and you can hold them still easily so magnifications can rise to figures like 60x. With objectives of 300mm this would give an exit pupil of 5, so even after sunset they will provide great views!

Imagine helium-filled telescopes up to 300x mag! And no tripod required.

With nice colours or even with commercial slogans printed on them, some kind of sponsorship to make them affordable for even the poorest of people;
or lease-binoculars for that matter. Anything is possible!

Greetings, Ronald

I think I've cracked it people! Obviate the need for binoculars and the associated neck/shoulder/arm/leg/back/wallet pain altogether by simply standing eight times closer to the bird you wish to view!

Graham

I think I've cracked it people! Obviate the need for binoculars and the associated neck/shoulder/arm/leg/back/wallet pain altogether by simply standing eight times closer to the bird you wish to view!

Graham

Hm... can't beat that.

But since we're not living in the Stone Age when you could simply persuade birds to comply with your ornithological curiosity by knocking them out of the sky with pebbles, some advanced technique is needed to get a decent close-up view.

Very accurate spy satellites plus superior GPS could do the trick; a small laptop or even a palmtop and the bird half a mile away pops up on your screen.

Or bird ringers could abandon the ringing and put tiny transmitters to the birds' legs, which would influence bird brain activity and release aphrodisiac hormones so the bird would fall in love with your remote control and would come flying toward you.

It seems to me we're a long way from these developments yet, so I'll stick to my yoky bins for the time being. Besides, I wouldn't go out without bins, I'd feel.... I'd feel.... naked!!!

Greetings, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back