• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Help in Texas (1 Viewer)

oops sorry .. does this one work?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ikbWq5qDKuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, that one works. I'm not sure but I'm gonna guess at American Goldfinch but let's see what the geniuses have to say ;)

Ohhh you are right dlee.. that's the first thing that made me notice that it was different than the Cardinals and then I missed it when I was thinking maybe Goldfinch. it's definitely not a finch. I've never seen a Pine Warbler.. this one is almost the same size as the Cardinals so would you say that is pretty accurate for the Pine Warbler's size?
Thank you for your help :)

White-eyed Vireo ought not to be showing this bird's brown back and ought to be showing prominent wing bars.

White-eyed Vireo ought not to be showing this bird's brown back and ought to be showing prominent wing bars.

No offense to the OP, but pic is not the clearest...greenish/brownish back is fine for White-eyed. Also there seems to be some blurry white near wingbars.

Not saying it is one or the other, but throwing it out as another possibility as pic is very blurry.

Plumage wise it looks like real good an Indigo Bunting, especially when it flips up on the perch to see its back and wings. The bill does look small, but I think in some very brief views when you get a full on profile, that it looks to be thicker than a warbler/thrush/vireo. Size is difficult to judge.

Andy

colour very reddish brown near the end, maybe indigo bunting is a good call.

Look out for the bird again, many will return to the same feeder.

Thanks to everyone for all the help :)
I wish I had a better picture :/

Larry, when I first saw the video, my first thought (wish) was that it was a bluebird too.

Andy and James, I went through the video and got a couple more stills and I think ya'll are right. Though the pics are still not very clear, I can see that the bill looks bigger at certain angles and the colors are very brown. Very much like Indigo Bunting. I'm attaching a couple more pics. :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Another thing is that the Indigo's upper bill is usually darker than it's lower which would contribute to the reason the bill looks smaller at certain angles.

BTW .. Here is a picture from earlier this month.. this may be of the same bird and I thought it to be an Indigo.

Attachments

• IMG_8897.jpg
    IMG_8897.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back