• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birder model w/ "National Audubon Society" & a bird on right prism cover (1 Viewer)

I bought and sold a few of these 10-12 years ago, both 8x36 and 10x40, and both Bushnell and B&L branded. They were the Custom series. Somewhat uncommon sizes for porros back then. The 8x36 were better than the 10x40's. They were all made in Japan.
They were pretty good porros. but I thought the Nikon Gold Sentinels and Criterions were much better in comparison. I also like the older wide angle B&L Legacy models - the 7x35 11* and the 10x50 7.5*

IIRC, not counting the 6x25 and 7x26 reverse porros, Bushnell made the earlier Customs in 7x35 and 10x50. These have a blockier look and have Custom and other info on a ring around the front objective. Later Bushnell and Bausch & Lomb Customs were made in 8x36 and 10x40 with Custom on the focus knob plate, and have National Audubon Society and the bird on the right prism cover.

What about an 8x42WA? I'm seeing one here stamped "bushnell birding series" but not stamped National Audubon Society + the bird, but I have seen one so marked instead. Neither says "custom." In both cases the rings are rubber armored, no writing at all on them. Was the Custom word usually on one of the hinge cover plates? I cannot determine if the "birder series" (so marked) is a lesser quality, or what.

What about an 8x42WA? I'm seeing one here stamped "bushnell birding series" but not stamped National Audubon Society + the bird, but I have seen one so marked instead. Neither says "custom." In both cases the rings are rubber armored, no writing at all on them. Was the Custom word usually on one of the hinge cover plates? I cannot determine if the "birder series" (so marked) is a lesser quality, or what.

That one is not a Custom but from a later line called Natureview. Bushnell branded several different lines with National Audubon and Birding Series, but it doesn't mean quality. The 8x42 you link to on ebay is a later 13-2000 Natureview and is made in China.
Here is the earlier 7x35 Custom - you can see the markings around the objective ring. This is a similar look to the Rangemasters that many like.
All of the Customs were made in Japan.
Here is another earlier 8x42 13-2000 Natureview with the National Audubon Society markings that is made in Japan
Here is another different model of an 8x40 Birder made in Hong Kong (China)
The use of the wording Birder or a NAS licensing branding is no indication of quality.
Of all the ones we have discussed I liked the B&L 8x36 Custom the best.
But I also liked a later model Bushnell 8x42 Legend - well built and good optics but hard to find

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back