• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Austria???? (1 Viewer)

I am having my first holiday in Austria next month.

Staying in the mountains, Ischgl, close to the Swiss border, west of Innsbruck. I know there is a nature reserve east of Innsbruck (I have done my research on BF!).

Have any members been on holiday there?? Any help about where to go for good birding in the area would be much appreciated. :news: (Or any other general info regarding walks etc)

We will probably hire a car so getting to out of the way places won't be a problem.

Hi Valerie,
Well, beeing Swiss I can't tell you much about Austria but about the nearby swiss valleys. I guess the avifauna is quite the same.
The Inn valley (from Landeck up to the swiss engadin) is a very dry valley. It holds good numbers of Whinchats, Red-backed Shrikes and Corncrakes. Look out on the sunny slopes, facing south. Also Barred Warbler can be found here, at the edge of its distribution.
If you have time and a car, drive down to Landeck, then up to Switzerland and to the Swiss National Park. Golden Eagle is common and Bearded Vulture (or Lammergeier) can be seen, although most of them breed in captivity and are released as young birds. All typical Mountain Species can be found.
In Ischgl, go up as far as you can with a cable car or something. Snow Finches like to feed near mountain restaurants. Also Alpine Accentor can be found sometimes easily around the mountain resorts.
If you go hiking, look out at the treeline, the best habitat for Citril Finch. They usually sit on the top, but are still hard to spot. Other species like Ring Ouzel are also most easily seen around the treeline. Like in the lowlands: The early bird catches the worm or the early birder sees the bird. Go there, if possible, very (in my experience everything between 4.30 am and 6.00 am is fine) early in the morning. You will be rewarded.
Usually, in the mountains, there are no special spots for the birds, they can be found virtually anywhere (expect where there are to many people).
If you walk, sit down (also here, around the treeline is very good or in rocky areas) and wait. Suddenly birds (Wheaters, Pipits etc.) will pop up. If you are lower down in forests, make a break when you find a more open area with a overview and just wait and see.
Telescopes can be very rewarding in the Alps but they are hard work to carry around. So this decision is up to you and to your fitness. Generally, especially if you're not used to mountains, birding downhill is much easier then uphill, at least you can hold your binoculars quitly.
If you want to try for owls: Best time after 11p.m. in the middle of some dark, mature forest.

Good Luck and enjoy your holiday!
André

Last edited:
Thank you very much Andre for all the information.

I now know what to look out for. I love the mountains and as this is my first year as a "birder" I know I am going to enjoy the holiday so much more! I hope I get some good photos too. We spent the last 4 summer holidays in Andorra in the Pyrennes and have also been to the French Alps (much better than a beach holiday!!!!)

Can't give you any information but I sure hope you bring back some great photos! We'll be waiting for a trip report. :)

Austria

Hallo,

again, I found some more informations.

http://www.nationalparknockberge.at/menujs.asp?ws_id=2
But this is far away from Silvretta area.

Additional info only in german, but maybe the location map of eagles will help you ?

http://www.adler-info.de/html/lebensraeume/lebensraeume.htm

some addresses for Italy, Austria und Switzerland
http://www.adler-info.de/html/ansprechpartner/partner_italien.htm
http://www.adler-info.de/html/ansprechpartner/partner_oesterreich.htm
http://www.adler-info.de/html/ansprechpartner/partner_schweiz.htm

Hopefully the information will help You. If You see eagles, please show pictures. I was only for climbing and skiing in the alps. But mostly ( 40 x ) around Innsbruck and once in Sulden ( Ortler ).

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Tammie said:
Can't give you any information but I sure hope you bring back some great photos! We'll be waiting for a trip report. :)

Thanks Tammie...... I hope I manage to get some good photos too but don't be surprised if I don't!!!!

Hi Valerie

I'm off to the Austrian Alps tomorrow for eleven day. I will let you know what we see, when we get back, and hopefully have some photo's to post.

Bearded Vulture

http://www.wild.unizh.ch/bg/frame.php?bi=0&bg=0&ya=0&la=e&th=proj&st=0

I read Bearded Vulture settled 3 pairs in area of Engadin/ Stelvio. It is not far from Silvretta.
The Vulture had 7 succesful breedings.

General information:
Bad weather warning
http://www.uwz.at/

Weatherforecast normally Joerg Kachelmann ( Switzerland ) is the best, but I do not found an english version. I do not know how reliable is BBC weather forecast in the Alps ?

I do not know how much information You get now. In every case breeding places of birds should known also by alpine clubs ( SAC -> Switzerland, OEAV -> Austria, DAV for Germany ). They must have the information, because where is breeding place, climbing is forbidden.
Hope for Your eagle pictures soon.

Vipers said:
Hi Valerie

I'm off to the Austrian Alps tomorrow for eleven day. I will let you know what we see, when we get back, and hopefully have some photo's to post.

Excellent!!!! When you read this you will be home again - I'm hoping you have been to the same area that I am going to and are able to pass on lots of info.

Looking forward to hearing from you Gary. Hope you had a great holiday with lots of sunshine.... you will be able to let me know how warm, hot or cold it was ;)

Valerie said:
Excellent!!!! When you read this you will be home again - I'm hoping you have been to the same area that I am going to and are able to pass on lots of info.

Looking forward to hearing from you Gary. Hope you had a great holiday with lots of sunshine.... you will be able to let me know how warm, hot or cold it was ;)

Hi Valerie

We had a superb time in Austria, the scenery was spectacular. Unfortunatly we were quite a long way from Ischgl so I'am afraid I can't help with any sites in that area. The weather was good. We had a few days when it rained, but it very rarely lasts all day, usually if it's raining in the morning it will clear up by mid day. When the sun shines it gets really hot we had a few day with the temprature in the High twenties.
Sorry I can't be more help with the area you are going to, but check out my trip report at www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36557

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back