• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Goa, India (2 Viewers)

Goa season has come around again! I'm travelling there on Friday 7th Nov for 2 weeks; it'll be great to get away from the cold and dark of NE England.
A good few birders will be going to Goa over the coming months, so it'd be nice to keep this thread going with a few updates. I know Bird Holidays have a group travelling out on 8th and Sunbird the following week, so there should be some decent birds found this November.

I've a new Canon 40D and Sigma 500mm along this time, so hopefully some decent photos to come. To see some superb photos from February, have a look at Tom Tams' website (http://www.tomtamsbirdimages.co.uk/india.htm).

Ahh, watching Amur Falcons with a cold bottle of Kingfisher in the hand.... Can't wait!

Hi Mark

I'm going back to Goa hopefully the first two weeks of February 2009.
This time will be going to backwoods camp.
Updates would be great

Cheers

Tom

Just got back from a great two weeks in Goa. Plenty of birds at a relaxed pace. A few of the main highlights/more interesting species:

Ferruginous Duck: 2 at Maem Lake, 1 at Tikanem and 2 at Betim Lake (a good number compared to some years)
European Roller: 1 on Divar
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher: 1 at point blank range at Saligao
Blue-bearded Bee-eater: 2 at Maem Lake (seem to be getting more regular here)
Drongo Cuckoo: 1 still in song at Arpora Hill
Alexandrine Parakeet: up to 6-8 daily around Baga nd Arpora (certainly more common than last time I was here)
Malabar Parakeet: good numbers and easy to see at Tamdi Surla and Satpal Arboretum
Brown Hawk-owl: 2 still easy to see at Carambolim wood
Brown Wood Owl: only 1 at Saligao
Brown Fish Owl: 2 seemingly resident at Arpora Hill (but hard to pin down)
Slaty-breasted Rail: 1 at Marinha Dourada pools on a couple of dates and 1 at Tikanem
Great Knot: 2 at south end of Cumbarjua canal (seen from boat trip)
Painted Snipe: only 1 at Beira Mar pools (very overhrown and difficult viewing here)
Small Pratincole: peak of 600-800 at Siolim paddies
Pomarine Skua: 1 harrassing terns offshore at Morjim
Great Black-headed Gull: 3 at Morjim
terns: peaks of 7 Caspian, 150 Lesser Crested and 6 Greater Crested at Morjim
Pied Harrier: a male reported at Pramod (from Backwoods) at Chorao just before I got there, but no sign on my visit.
Amur Falcon: only 3 seen during the fortnight (2 Baga, 1 Cumbarjua) - a poor showing
Long-legged Buzzard: 1 inland of Arpora, not far north of Saligao
Chestnut Bittern: singles at Pilerne Lake and Marinha Dourada pools
Glossy Ibis: 180+ at Tikanem, small numbers at Chorao
Black Ibis: 2 near Mapusa (potentially first Goa record, not seen any others mentioned in print/on 'net)
Indian Pitta: fairly easy at Arpora Hill (Aguda not tried but negative results reported from some birders)
Black-naped Oriole: imm male at Tamdi Surla
Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike: male seen by Paul Willoughby at Bondla
Syke's Warbler: singles at Marinha Dourada pools (in song) and at Pilerne Lake
Booted Warbler: 1 at Divar
Large-billed Leaf Warbler: 1 at bottom of Bondla approach road
Yellow-browed Warbler: 1 seen and sound-recorded near Satpal Arboretum. Probably only 2nd Goa record.
Tricoloured Munia: a flock of 80+ in grasslands near Carambolim. A good number of this scarce species.

I've obviously not mentioned the commoner/more regular species. I'll post a further site update/a few interesting photos once I've adjusted back to UK time!

The Bird Holidays group found 3 Long-toed Stints seen at Siolim paddies on Saturday 22/11 (the day I left - damn!). Also 2 Crested Hawk Eagles and Crested Serpent Eagle there. Wader numbers are building up there too - 150 Wood Sands, 50 Temmincks and 30 Little Stints last week, along with 60 Asian Openbills and 45 Black-headed Ibis. Definitely a site to check several times if you're going to Goa soon.

The Bird Holidays group found 3 Long-toed Stints seen at Siolim paddies on Saturday 22/11 (the day I left - damn!). Also 2 Crested Hawk Eagles and Crested Serpent Eagle there. Wader numbers are building up there too - 150 Wood Sands, 50 Temmincks and 30 Little Stints last week, along with 60 Asian Openbills and 45 Black-headed Ibis. Definitely a site to check several times if you're going to Goa soon.

Hi Mark,
In your previous post you mention 3 sites I've not heard off, would you mind elaborating please, satpal arboretum, Tikkanem & pilerne lake. I am returning for my second visit late december so your lastest post was timely! If you receive any other 'news' it would be very appreciated.

Cheers Andy.

Hi Mark,
In your previous post you mention 3 sites I've not heard off, would you mind elaborating please, satpal arboretum, Tikkanem & pilerne lake. I am returning for my second visit late december so your lastest post was timely! If you receive any other 'news' it would be very appreciated.
Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy,
Tikanem - this is on the north-eastern side of Chorao Island. If you drive from Maem lake onto Chorao, you pass through the area. It's just as you come out of the low hills onto the flat and the habitat is tidal reedbed, pools and a few trees. Just as the houses finish, there's a large marsh on the left bordered by the railway line. This had lots of Glossy Ibis, Gt Spotted Eagle etc. The reeds to your right just as you go along the Acacia lined avenue hold wintering Pallas's Groppers but they're not easy, even with a tape. High tide is best so they can't run around on the mud! The acacias themselves are good for Syke's Warbler. A good site overall for raptors and storks.
Pilerne Lake - a small lake about 0.5km off the main road between Panaji and Calangute. About 1.5 km after after you turn right off the main Panaji - Mapusa road heading towards the coastal resorts, there's a sign on the left for 'Chubby Cheeks' (!) school. Turn left and follow the road down the hill into the valley bottom where the lake is. A handy site for calling in when passing.
Satpal Arboretum - you pass this site if you drive the back road from Bondla towards Tamdi Surla. We just birded the approach road before the arboretum. It's broken woodland and has had some interesting birds there. A couple of years ago, a friend had White-naped Woodpecker, Great Hornbill and Orange-breasted Green Pigeon. Obviously a decent and relatively unknown area!

Other recent bits of news:
Painted Stork - imm at north end of Carambolim Lake (opposite end to causeway)
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher - also seen at Backwoods and on Cumbarjua canal from 'crocodile trip'.

A few pics, just to whet the appetite...

Attachments

• Dwarf.JPG
    Dwarf.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Blue-bearded.JPG
    Blue-bearded.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Pallid.JPG
    Pallid.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 98
  • Changeable.JPG
    Changeable.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 100
  • Brown Hawk.JPG
    Brown Hawk.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 82
Thought I would resurrect this thread to ask if anybody is going to Goa over the upcoming season? Any more news from the guys that have contributed to this thread and maybe any more up to date info by others? Cheers.

I'm getting ready for a return - probably in Feb.

Hope those doing a November trip can bring us up to speed.

I'm getting ready for a return - probably in Feb.

Hope those doing a November trip can bring us up to speed.

Hi

My wife and I are also going Jan/Feb so like you are keen to hear any up to date info.

For others folks in the North West Qatar airlines are now flying into Dabolim from Manchester via Doha. The price we booked a while back for Jan was very reasonable at £400 each.

It seems that a lot of the tour operators have really cut back on the flights out this year with Monarch, First Choice and Thomson etc all making cuts.

A bit of an early winter update from Paul Willoughby who has just led a trip for Bird Holidays there.

A total of 285 species seen in 2 weeks with highlights of:
Black-naped Oriole at the Tropical Spice Plantation nr Ponda
2 Grey-necked Buntings at Aguada
Yellow-browed Warbler at Tamdi Surla (seen and sound recorded - 3rd Goa record), also Blue-eared Kingfisher there.
Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler showing well at usual wintering site on Chorao, also 3 Great Knots on estuary there.
58 Ruddy Shelducks on the Cumbarjua boat trip
Isabelline Shrike at Divar
6 Streaked Weavers at Carambolim
Common Flameback at Dandeli
Also more expected stuff like Pacific Swifts, 2 Syke's Warblers, Banded Bay Cuckoo (juv fed by Common Iora at Maem), Watercock, Ruddy Crake, Blue-faced Malkoha (Arpora), Red-headed and Black-headed Buntings, Indian Pittas etc etc.

He also identified nearly 50 species of butterfly. Other non-bird highlights included Parti-coloured Flying Squirrel, Indian Chameleons at Molem and Tamdi Surla, a herd of 6 Gaur at Dandeli, and also Indian Pangolin there.

The weather had been very poor (for India) early in the fortnight with rain nearly every day, quite cool temperatures (again in comparision to normal) and frequent electrical storms at the coast! Not doubt things will change quite rapidly...

Wish I was going back this winter!

Cometrider & whitburnmark

Thanks for the info. Cometrider I have had a quick look at your page and will give it more time shortly. I have bought a Panasonic TZ7 that can take HD video so I too will be doing a little video capture for the first time.

Whitburnmark- Thanks for the update very much appreciated. Realistically I would really like to catch up with the Blue Faced Malkoha in Arpora as I did not manage one last year. May I ask whereabouts in Arpora?

I have been keeping an eye on the weather and have noticed the monsoon seems to have been extended quite some way into November this year. Reports are that this is to change, and settle in the coming days. I wonder, if anything, the effect this has on birds either resident or passing through?

Thanks guys...keep em coming.

Whitburnmark- Thanks for the update very much appreciated. Realistically I would really like to catch up with the Blue Faced Malkoha in Arpora as I did not manage one last year. May I ask whereabouts in Arpora?

I have been keeping an eye on the weather and have noticed the monsoon seems to have been extended quite some way into November this year. Reports are that this is to change, and settle in the coming days. I wonder, if anything, the effect this has on birds either resident or passing through?

Thanks guys...keep em coming.

Malkoha - the best area at Arpora is found by heading up the main road north from Arpora, past the Marinha Dourhada crossroads, turn on the small track to the right where the main road bends sharply left (where the night club used to be - name escapes me at moment). Then follow this obvious track into the valley through fairly low scrub. On the left after about half a mile is a small quarry (sides about 25 ft high). If you wait in this area, particularly early morning, Malkoha is regular.
The taller trees and dry stream bed at the start of this track holds wintering Indian Pitta and is much easier to work than the 'Pitta in the sh*tta' at Aguada.

Weather - if there is cloud/rain in November, there is definitely more visible migration (esp hirundines and swifts). I've found a few decent birds apparently grounded in these conditions, clearly moving through as not there next day (eg Thick-billed Warbler, Pied Cuckoo, Is. Shrike). However once the weather settles and you're further into December, I get the impression a lot of migration has finished (eg very few Amur Falcons pass through in December compared to November, same with Long-toed Stints).
It's always interesting though, plenty of surprises to find all through the winter.

Has anyone birded the area around the more southern resorts such as Benaulim and Mobor?

From the various maps I've seen there seems to be some worthy habitat in the immediate vicinity while various rivers seem to be within easy striking distance.

Cotigao is handily placed as are Bondla and Tambdi Surla.

Is it just that we all head north for what we know or has the south proved disappointing?

whitburnmark
Thanks for the info. I searched high and low for the Malkoha last time in the area you mention but to no avail....although did get the Pitta on one occasion on the track right in front of us!

I am returning in at a similar time to last year and whilst I like this time of year I think if I were to visit again I think Nov-Dec would be a good change due to other birds being present.

Birdbox
Sorry but I can not help you with your request. But as you probably know there are no bad places only places waiting to be discovered......it's probably a very under watched area so it will be interesting to hear of your experiences.

Is it more down to the North starting out as the more "tourist" destinations and so the base for a birding holiday was often started here. As you state a lot of good sites are already on the doorstep of the South.

Last edited:
Motivational advice, thanks!

We don't travel until mid February so plenty of time to plan and to receive any snippets of onfo.

Blue Faced Malkoha

I've had this a couple of times on top of Baga Hill early morning and near the helipad at Fort Aguada.

If you go head into Arpora, keep an eye (and ear) out for Bearded Bee-eater. I had it here in 2006.

Cometrider

Thanks for info. Baga always seemed a disappointment for me but talking to others it seems that I should not have given up so easy as it seems good birds can turn up. I think I will make it my aim to visit first light next time.

RE Bearded Bee-eater......that would be nice as it would be a lifer. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back