• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Goa, India (1 Viewer)

Birds of Goa/India Spreadsheet

Today I have just booked for my third visit to Marinha Dourada, Went in Nov 2004 and also had a great two weeks in Nov 2007 when I teamed up with Bill Baston and Kit Day for a fantastic two weeks. This third visit means I need to put my previous records into some sort of order so that I can taget species to photograph on the Jan-Feb 2010 trip. Does anyone who subscribes to this thread know where I can get hold of a Excel Spreadsheet of Birds of Goa. I really don't want to have to create one but will if need to

Cheers

Chris Galvin

Today I have just booked for my third visit to Marinha Dourada, Went in Nov 2004 and also had a great two weeks in Nov 2007 when I teamed up with Bill Baston and Kit Day for a fantastic two weeks. This third visit means I need to put my previous records into some sort of order so that I can taget species to photograph on the Jan-Feb 2010 trip. Does anyone who subscribes to this thread know where I can get hold of a Excel Spreadsheet of Birds of Goa. I really don't want to have to create one but will if need to

Cheers

Chris Galvin

In response to my own question I have done an internet search and the results provided me with a checklist of the whole of India and downloadable in Excel Format from

http://printablebirdchecklists.homestead.com/4-CountryLists.html

Chris

I returned at the weekend from a short trip to Goa with my wife. Having spent quite a bit of time in the state in the past decade this was not a full on birding trip - much of the time was spent catching up with old friends and scootering up to the beaches in southern Maharashtra.
There had been unseasonably high rains in Oct and a cyclone in early Nov which has resulted in high water levels on most of the paddies that are normally dry at this time of the year. Nevertheless, the birding is always good and i spent most of the time pottering about within striking distance of the Baga area.
The birding highlight was a male Lesser Kestrel at Mandrem - the first time I have seen this species in the state. It features on Mark's checklist but I am unaware of previous sightings although I suspect it may occur on passage more regularly than records suggest.
Non-avian highlight was two Smooth Indian Otters watched for 40 minutes in a small tank in Arpora, 200m inland from the small bridge by the saw mill in the village - again a first record for me for the state.

I agree with Mark about Nov. being a prime time for migration on the coast. I too have seen a wide variety of species that would appear to be one-day wonders and I have also found this a good time for seeing typical Western Ghats species wandering towards the coast in search of food. In the past I have seen Great and Malabar Grey Hornbills, Yellow-footed Green Pigeon, Nilgiri Pigeon, Chestnut-headed and Blue-bearded Bee-eaters and Indian Scimitar Babbler all within a few miles of Baga.

Whatever time you visit there will always be something interesting to find as good habitat exists everywhere and most of the state is unexplored by visiting birders. Best wishes to all who visit this season

Stuart

Having just returned from Goa only yesterday, and with other priorities before spending time on the internet I can post only a quick report which might be of help to those going soon.
I am a keen photographer more than a bird lister but the latter has some appeal too ! My wife is a non birder. We book holiday venues which should be suitable for us both hence places like Backwoods are not considered.
For this trip we booked the Royal Orchid Galaxy at Utorda beach S.Goa for 10 nights, the Wildernest Nature resort in the Ghats for 4 nights, and the Marinha Dourada for 16 nights.
The Utorda beach was primarily intended for my wife's benefit but it turned out to be the absolute top of the pile birding photographic site too. There isn't too much information about birding in the south and no one has ever mentioned this beach area, not even the birding guides so I feel I have found somewhere new !!! Walking from Utorda beach northwards as far as you can to the top end of the southern beaches is about 3.5 Kms. The area was basically deserted. The Hyatt hotel is a short distance away but otherwise the beach is occupied only by three shacks, a fishing village and few tourists ( well this was the case early November but I think it will not change too much) The BIG plus was the number of birds. This area makes Morjim pale in significance. We are talking '000's of Brown Headed Gulls as well as Slender Billed, Heuglins and Yellow Legged but not Pallas whilst I was there. Lesser Crested, Slender Billed, Little and Sandwich Terns in good numbers plus one Greater Crested where seen. There were very large numbers of both Lesser and Greater Sand Plovers, a flock of about 700 Lesser Pratincol plus other small waders such as Little Stint,Kentish Plover,Dunlin,Common Sandpiper and Greenshank. In very small numbers I also saw Terek Sandpiper,Golden Plover, Whimbrel, Reef and Little Egret,Pond Egret, White Bellied Sea Eagle, Osprey, Peregrine and an Isabelline Wheatear.
If the fishermen are bringing in their nets you get a ready made feeding station for Braminhy and Black Kites.
The views I had on all these birds are very, very close. Stunning photographic opportunities.
The most unusual was a Brown Noddy which I first saw the night after a cyclone has struck the coast but it was still around 7 days later.A beach bar owner told me there were less birds about than usual because of the bad weather too !!!!
Next stop was the Wildernest. Offering 45+ acres of grounds and pathways plus daily bird watching walks and observation areas, this was the bit I was looking forward to. I can only describe it a an huge disappointment. We booked out after 2 nights. At about £90 per night it was expensive and failed to deliver . The advertised "infinity pool" was about the only thing that met our expectations but that was about it. Not recommended from a birding perspective at all, not only were very few birds seen but the early morning walks were led by a guide that knows less than I do and that is quite an achievement.
We booked into the Marinha Dourada 2 days early and I have nothing but praise for this hotel which offers an excellent level of comfort at a very reasonable price. However, on arrival my heart sank. It wasn't just the recent monsoonal rains which had affected the area, the pools opposite the hotel have been deliberately breached now making them tidal so the number of birds they attract is minimal compared to the same time as last year. Not only have the waders all but disappeared but as the fish all had the opportunity to escape, the resident Osprey is no longer and can be found spending time on a dead palm tree in Baga fields instead.
The local area is being developed still further. There is more encroachment on Arpora woods with more building in front of the night club and although I only went once, the general consensus was it's not as good as it was. Likwise Baga Hill has seen the commencement of more building work and , although still rewarding (including the Malkoha) I wonder for how much longer.
I had two trips out with the super Lloyd Fernandes who is better than any other of the guides I have used or witnessed. Not only is he a good conversationalist on topics other than birds, he has a great sense of humour, is very reasonably priced and always includes a picnic breakfast. PM me if you want details. Not only does he have a small car but also a large bus capable of taking a group out.
Talking of groups, is it me or do they always seem to come in anti social packages ? On several occasions my attempts to communicate fell on deaf ears. You get a feeling that they feel they have paid for the pleasure of being a unit and don't want to share anything with anyone else, even offers from myself of bird locations hardly bought an utterance of thanks. Weird lot and certainly I won't be joining any such tours.
The Marinha Dourada appeared to have lots of birders staying there though and most were a friendly bunch ( except for a certain tour!). The Beira Mer didn't seem to have many birders there on the several evenings I went and it's hardly surprising. I think it's a bit of a dump and the birding isn't as good as it used to be either. The Nazri resort next door offers a better view and a more modern hotel too I would imagine as it is only just being completed ( taking the Beira Mer's view too !)
Carambolin didn't hold as much as it has done but Charoa and Diva islands were good as well as the consistent Zuari river boat trip which is a very pleasant experience.
Hope this is of help to all, Cheers Dave

Does anyone have any up to date gen on Cotigao?
I'm especially interested in staying there for at least one night during our February visit to central Goa.
I've heard overnight stays are possible in one of the watch towers - anyone done this?

With only 14 days left till I go to Goa, I'm wondering if anyone has any latest news from Goa. Pitta sightings, is the Oriental Plover still anywhere to be seen or even if there are any latest trip reports from folks who have been very recently

Cheers

Chris Galvin

With a couple of weeks to go before our trip to central/south Goa I've been scrutinising the terrain close to where we're staying.

There seems to be a few likely spots worthy of investigation that I've never (or rarely) heard mention of in birding circles.

So if anyone recognises the following, I would appreciate any gen;

Chandranath Hill

Kankanamoddi Hill

Sarzora Lake and surrounding woodland.

Chinchinim saltpans (anyone know if access is difficult owing to the naval academy?)

The area immediately south of Velim Lake (take a look on google earth - it's huge and empty).

Woodland adjacent to Curtorim Lake

Hi Birdbox
I can't help you with info but would just like to say have a great time and looking forward to hearing how you went on in some of these places.

Enjoy

Hi Whitburnmark,
We also use 2 other ways to get to Arpora woods.One is to catch a taxi to the High School and walk the road into the woods.The other is to take the first road turning right past the football fields[heading your way towards the club Cubana] turning off left towards the Hotel Rosa,down the path at the side of the hotel and the climb down the ditch at the end and you are into the paddy fieds leading up to the scub and into the woods. Both these paths take you to the other side of the valley from the "quarry"

I thought it'd be a good idea to get this thread reopened, hopefully to encourage others to post sightings this winter.

Here are the highlights of my visit over 12th - 26th November and of the Bird Holidays tour to Goa/Dandeli in the same 2 weeks (not including the more expected species):

Yellow Bittern – a juv on Arpora pools throughout
Asian Openbill – up to 50 at Siolim paddies
Spoonbill – juv at Siolim on 15th
Steppe Buzzard – singles at Morjim and Grand Island
White-eyed Buzzard – seen at Morjim, Grand Island, Aguada, nr Mapusa, nr Carambolim
Legge's Hawk Eagle - 1 at Dandeli on 21st
Greater Spotted Eagle – usual small numbers around Carambolim/Cumbarjua
Indian Spotted Eagle – seemed a bit scarcer than normal
Tawny Eagle - 6+ Neura on 16th (unusually high number)
Amur Falcon – I personally saw 25 in the 2 weeks, including 12 together over the Marinha Dourada at dusk one evening
Shaheen Falcon – pair at Dandeli on 23rd
Slaty-breasted Rail – present behind Beira Mar and on Arpora pools
Oystercatcher - 1 at Morjim
Small Pratincole – up to 1500 at Siolim, small numbers elsewhere
Black-tailed Godwit - 200 near Carambolim on 16th (high numbers)
Broad-billed Sand – 1 near Carambolim on 16th
Gulls – only 1-2 Great Black-headeds seen at Morjim, up to 100 barabensis and 10+ heuglini. No Slender-billed reported here yet.
River Tern – 10 at PV Dam, Dandeli on 22nd
Green Imperial Pigeon – 3 at Molem on 25th
Oriental Turtle Dove – 2 at Aguada on 21st
Jacobin Cuckoo – odd singles still around the coast
Blue-faced Malkoha – 2 showy birds at Arpora Woods
Brown Wood Owl – heard at Saligao on 12th but difficult to see
Brown Hawk Owl – present in the usual wood at Carambolim and also next to the lake itself
Indian Jungle Nightjar – 4 seen roosting in daylight at Maem Lake
Savanna Nightjar – 4 seen well at a plateau site nr Mapusa
Pacific Swift – 1 at Satpal arboretum on 24th and up to 5 at Arpora on 22nd-24th
Blue-eared Kingfisher – 1 at Tropical Spice Farm near Ponda on 20th and also reported from Bondla
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher - 1 at Dandeli on 23rd and also reported from Bondla
Blue-bearded Bee-eater – 2 showing well at Maem lake
Wryneck - 1 in Baga fields on 20th
Common Flameback – pair at Dandeli on 23rd
Rufous-tailed Lark – reported from Divar just before I arrived
Plain Martin – 1 at Carambolim on 16th
Brown Shrike – several single birds along the coast
Bay-backed Shrike – back in its usual trees behind the shacks at Morjim
Bluethroat – up to 8 in Baga fields
Isabelline Wheatear - 1 at Aguada on 19th
Red-breasted Flycatcher – 5+ at Fort Aguada on 21st
Taiga Flycatcher – 2 at Fort Aguada on 21st
Indian Scimitar Babbler – heard at Maem Lake
Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler – at least 2 at the usual wintering area at Tikanem
Grasshopper Warbler – a migrant in Baga fields on 25th
Booted Warbler - 1 at Baga fields on 13th, 1 at Aguada on 19th
Yellow-browed Warbler – 1 at Dandeli
Tytler's Leaf Warbler - 1 at Dandeli on 22nd
Vigors's Sunbird – fairly easily seen around Arpora, Baga and Saligao (including one next to the Marinha Dourada restaurant)
Lesser Whitethroat – singles at Maem Lake and Dandeli (halimodendri types, not Hume’s)
Red-headed Bunting – 1 at Tamdi Surla on 25th and 1 at Anjuna around the same time
Tricoloured Munia – up to 150 at Carambolim grassland site on 16th
Streaked Weaver - min of 5, maybe more, with Baya Weavers at Carambolim grassland site on 16th
Lesser Hill Myna – several at Dandeli

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Mark for starting this thread up again. I will be there again for my fourth trip from 4th February 2012. Gone a bit posh this year and not staying at Marinha Dourada but staying at the Resort Rio, Arpora. So I would like to hear from anyone else who has visited the area ove this winte.r

South Goa

I have attached this report on the Vacation forum but it may fit better here since it is intended to give some information about birding in South Goa.
It is based on what was really a package holiday to an all inclusive resort in Cavelossim but shows the potential of birding away from the popular birding sites in the North.
Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• South Goa Update.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 222
I have attached this report on the Vacation forum but it may fit better here since it is intended to give some information about birding in South Goa.
It is based on what was really a package holiday to an all inclusive resort in Cavelossim but shows the potential of birding away from the popular birding sites in the North.
Cheers
Ian

That's an elaborative report. Great, you have explored the south goa all yourself.

Bit of advice, please...in March next my wife and myself are doing the 'round Rajasthan' tour bit taking in Delhi, Ranthambore (safari), Bharatpur (day at Keoladeo), Jaipur, Agra, Jodphur, Udaipur....we finish up with a couple of full days in Goa (Candolim)-18/19 March. As my wife (not a birder) wants to chill, I might be able to sneak off for a day/day and a half for birding....given the short duration available, would anyone be able to recommend which of the many sites I should aim for (say 2 or 3) to give a flavour of Goan birding? (yep, appreciate I'm probably not doing it justice, given the info above...but having done 3 weeks in the country hopefully will already have a good range of species by the time we hit Goa).
Many thanks............also posted on the 'Info wanted-Goa update' forum

Bit of advice, please...in March next my wife and myself are doing the 'round Rajasthan' tour bit taking in Delhi, Ranthambore (safari), Bharatpur (day at Keoladeo), Jaipur, Agra, Jodphur, Udaipur....we finish up with a couple of full days in Goa (Candolim)-18/19 March. As my wife (not a birder) wants to chill, I might be able to sneak off for a day/day and a half for birding....given the short duration available, would anyone be able to recommend which of the many sites I should aim for (say 2 or 3) to give a flavour of Goan birding? (yep, appreciate I'm probably not doing it justice, given the info above...but having done 3 weeks in the country hopefully will already have a good range of species by the time we hit Goa).
Many thanks............also posted on the 'Info wanted-Goa update' forum

An early start for a day at Bondla would be good then take in a couple of sites on the way back to the coast. You should build up a decent day list at least by following this strategy. Arrange it with a driver/guide beforehand to get the best out of your available time.

See: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189301

I hope there's water at Keoladeo this year - it can be a bit quiet without. Don't bank on seeing many birds doing the tourist trail. early mornings, woodlands and wetlands are your best hope, and not many regular tourists go to such spots. I have even heard recent tales of people being prevented from using binoculars at the Taj Mahal.

Good luck.

An early start for a day at Bondla would be good then take in a couple of sites on the way back to the coast. You should build up a decent day list at least by following this strategy. Arrange it with a driver/guide beforehand to get the best out of your available time.

See: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189301

I hope there's water at Keoladeo this year - it can be a bit quiet without. Don't bank on seeing many birds doing the tourist trail. early mornings, woodlands and wetlands are your best hope, and not many regular tourists go to such spots. I have even heard recent tales of people being prevented from using binoculars at the Taj Mahal.

Good luck.
Many thanks for advice....will try your suggestions.
I've heard mixed reports on Keoladeo...some water has been released from the Chambal river (though, I understand, the pipeline to provide a permanent solution hasn't yet been completed), but they were, apparently, a bit tardy so that openbills haven't used the site this year, but other 'stuff' is coming in. I've also heard the 'no bins' story at the Taj.....but we'll see....might have to use 'zoom' on the video!;).
Well used to birding on the 'tourist trails' (my better half is not into birding) and hasn't been too bad.....I can usually get a day or two in the 'hot spots' and some of the city birding has been interesting.
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back