• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

sabines gull showing well at hanley forest park this evening 19:00 hrs

i was there today until about 12, but not birding so never looked through the gulls. and im busy tomorrow, charity walk up snowdon, so i cant go then either, then im back in work.....chances of it staying until next saturday?? thought as much.

about time we got a sabs in north staffs, its been a full year since the last one!!! :-O

adam

Utch 0700-0920.

Meadow Pipit 50, all heading w/sw in small single figure flocks.
Chiff' 4
Green Sand' 3
Common Sand' 2
Curlew 7
Teal 50

Good result for somebody with the Sab's "up anley duck".

Andy.

Guys,

Managed to get some pics of the RND at Westport on Friday afternoon:
http://mikeatkinson.net/RingNeckedDuck.htm

It was being very lazy - the 2 pics of it diving were taken the only time I saw it dive. It also refused to open its wings!

I might pop back in the hope of getting closer views - these shots were all taken at long distance at 700mm focal length.

BTW, are the Sabine's Gull reports confirmed?

Mike (Congleton-based bird photographer)
http://mikeatkinson.net

Great pics there Mike. What set up are you using? I assume it's a 500f/4 with a 1.4 TC or similar. Thanks for sharing. Neil.

Some posts have been deleted?

Anyway anyone know if the Sabs gull has been confirmed at Wessa? I had a look earlier and couldn't pick it up.

Thanks, Chrysophylax.
Yes, I used a Canon 40D with 500mm f4 IS and 1.4x TC (handheld).
Mike.

Agree with Neil, super shots Mike and you have a very good range of shots on your website. Particularly like the flight shots of the Jay. :t:

Chop my own arm off for the Canon 500

sabines gull showing well at hanley forest park this evening 19:00 hrs

Great stuff :t: Adult or juv?!

Before this year, I'd never heard any bird news coming out of here, and now it's had Sab's and Med Gull in the last couple of months!

Is Hanley Park your local patch Lucybirder? If so, keep up the good work!!

Cheers
Steve

Agree with Neil, super shots Mike and you have a very good range of shots on your website. Particularly like the flight shots of the Jay. :t:

Chop my own arm off for the Canon 500

Then I would have to come with you to hold it.:t::-O

not much out and about up snowdon, just a few ravens and meadow pipits. there were a few herring gulls as well and a pair of kestrels. be nice to get up somewhere like that earlier in the year, before all the breeding birds are heading south.

adam

Thanks, Rob.

I suffered with '500mm longings' for ages before I finally managed to save up for one. I'd have chopped my arm off if I'd thought it would have helped!

I've just been back to Westport to see if I could get any better shots of the RND and to see if there was any sign of the reported Sabine's. No luck on either count! :-(

The RND was there but distant and the light went to pot as soon as I arrived.

I'm still not sure whether the Sabine's reports are a wind-up. Any photos would be great!

Mike.

Thanks, Rob.

I suffered with '500mm longings' for ages before I finally managed to save up for one. I'd have chopped my arm off if I'd thought it would have helped!

I've just been back to Westport to see if I could get any better shots of the RND and to see if there was any sign of the reported Sabine's. No luck on either count! :-(

The RND was there but distant and the light went to pot as soon as I arrived.

I'm still not sure whether the Sabine's reports are a wind-up. Any photos would be great!

Mike.

The Westport Sabine's has since been reported as erroneous.

Russell

Rob1991

back from dungeness

first birds see in north staffs are 7 swift heading south

im glad didnt miss much hopefully things will pick up soon

Wot Rob! No Bairds Sandpiper either tut tut you should have come with us to Anglesey today m8 :-O
Sorry hope this doesn't start a spat :t:

Its about time we had a spat. Can't think of anything to have a spat about though :-O

Dean:t:

PS Rob mentioned that some posts had been deleted. What were they about I missed those. I feel like I'm missing out on something!!

Visited Conwy RSPB today with Terry Eyre, 200 plus Curlew, Black tailed Godwit, several Red Breasted Merganser, Ruff, Knot, Redshank, Little Grebes, Teal, Cormorant, Black Headed Gulls, LBB Gulls and no Red-backed Shrike.

Then it was back to Inner Marsh Farm which was quiet with Great Spotted Woodpecker, a few Ruff and a few hundred Lapwings.

On the way back went to look for Red Street and the Wedgewood Monument. Looks like an interesting hill, with a great view. Is it any good for Visible Migration me asks?

Dean

PS I reckon we should all do a co-ordinated visable migration watch en masse one of the weekends soon. We need birders to be on Tickhill, Berry Hill, the Wedgewwod Monument, Mow Cop, Gun Hill, Morridge, and put all our reports on here. Are there any other good hills? Could be interesting:eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back