• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Ace shots of the lesser woodie, Craig. Saw one for the first time in ages this spring, over in Warwickshire. You forget how small they are.

Speaking of small, or in this case little... a new batch from Little Grump. Been watching them for a few days now, and they're fully mobile and very vocal!

More on my blog and Flickr site.

Cheers Pete
I was jut Glad to see one tbh, Never mind get a half decent photo of one.
I remember seeing your pics of the male perched on the reed head, and from a few other photographers, some stunning shots by yourself and veryone else,
They are tiny.

And as usual, well done with your excellent Iccle owl photo, cute little thing
Keep up the good work :t:
MB

10 Common tern on the boyd's at Lincomb lock yesterday swapping between the rivr and Larford pools.
Today a Hobby was seen spectacuarly chasing a swift over the lickhill area of stourport for about a minuite, amazings views and breathtaking to watch!
MB

The Black Redstart was still at Shenstone this morning at around 7.00am. There was a Spotted Flycatcher there too.

There's a bird in it somewhere (you prove there isn't) and I didn't want this going to waste. Here's a shot across the meadows outside Powick, taken on my way to work this morning. I haven't really done it justice though...

Attachments

• Sunrise 1_resize.jpg
    Sunrise 1_resize.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 104
3 Redwing over Lydiate Ash this a.m. (0855) whilst dog walking. I believe Gert has some more to report at the mecca too.

Leucistic sparrow

I noticed an odd sparrow the other day in our garden. We have quite large amounts of house sparrows year round but I've never seen a leucistic one before. I thought I'd pop them on here.

Attachments

• Leucistic Sparrow-2.jpg
    Leucistic Sparrow-2.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Leucistic Sparrow Batheing-2.jpg
    Leucistic Sparrow Batheing-2.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 83
Eider at Clifton Pits, anyone know when the last county record(s) were?

Think the last one was Arrow Valley in Redditch c2000 - will check when i get home.

Edit: the last record (the 10th for Worcs) was a drake at Arrow Valley on the unusual date of 7th May in 2001

Last edited:
Barnacle Geese - Bittell

This is a question for the older members of this forum.

When I first started birding there was always a large flock of Barnacle Geese present throughout the winter at Upper Bittell. I first saw these in January 1988 after some searching of the area I seem to remember, finally saw 90+ birds.

Any of you that know me will know my thoughts on feral birds, however these birds at the time were probably thought to be wild.

What does anyone think, these have always sat in my uncomfortably in my birdnotes as my first sightings.

Barnacle Geese - Bittell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember these birds but because of their arrival and departure dates I always felt they were wild birds. This is backed up by The new birds of the West Midlands pg126 "Dec 83 29 birds grew to 146 in 1988 apparent similarflocks passing via Skomer and other large flocks of wild origin were present esp 87 The Bittell flock stopped in 89"
So I think you can remain confident in your Midland Barnacles.

Last edited:
I see that Little Gull reports have come from Grimley and Throckmorton today, but don't know details. I had a first-winter at Earlswood on 19th, then a first-winter was reported at Bartley next day, and wonder if these four reports could refer to one wandering individual, as I haven't heard of other reports from elsewhere in the midlands recently? The Earlswood bird had quite worn black markings on the wings, and the black tail-band was split in the middle.
Matt

I see that Little Gull reports have come from Grimley and Throckmorton today, but don't know details. I had a first-winter at Earlswood on 19th, then a first-winter was reported at Bartley next day, and wonder if these four reports could refer to one wandering individual, as I haven't heard of other reports from elsewhere in the midlands recently? The Earlswood bird had quite worn black markings on the wings, and the black tail-band was split in the middle.
Matt

Hi Matt,

Sounds like it could be the same bird. The Grimley bird had a small white gap in the black tail band, worn wing markings and a fairly distinctive dusky nape/rear crown. It was last seen at Grimley at c10.30am then flew off SE but it had done that earlier and returned. There were no further reports from there but then one was at Throckmorton for just 3 minutes to 1.21pm when it flew off NE.

May be it was heading back towards Earlswood.......

Craig Reed also had a first-winter at Earlswood on the 10th.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back