• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Crossbills Lickey Hills.

15 Crossbills seen on Cofton Hill in pines above pool up from visitor centre carpark. Ive seen them here before but often its a flyover or they disappear into the tree tops. This flock flew in and perched for a while in the wind. Enough chance to check for wingbars or massive bills. This is the best of the larger billed birds. Will try again tomorrow. Very good to see them after several attempts given the recent influx. Raven calling also. Twatling Road large mixed flock Chaffinches and 30 + Bramblings.

Attachments

• Bird crossbill1 2013.jpg
    Bird crossbill1 2013.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Bird parrot crossbill2.jpg
    Bird parrot crossbill2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Parrot Crossbill Lickey

Flock of 20 Crossbill coming in to drink at pool on Cofton Hill. Very mobile and flighty but slightly better shot and views. I am now happy with bill size head shape and difference with side by side comparision to Common that at least 1 Parrot Crossbill is with this flock. Deeper Choop as opposed to Common Cliip heard also.
Would value others opinion and better shots than my handheld digiscope and bridge.

Attachments

• Bird parrot crossbill2.jpg
    Bird parrot crossbill2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Bird crossbill1 2013.jpg
    Bird crossbill1 2013.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 136
Flock of 20 Crossbill coming in to drink at pool on Cofton Hill. Very mobile and flighty but slightly better shot and views. I am now happy with bill size head shape and difference with side by side comparision to Common that at least 1 Parrot Crossbill is with this flock. Deeper Choop as opposed to Common Cliip heard also.
Would value others opinion and better shots than my handheld digiscope and bridge.

Where exactly are these being seen please? I may have time to dash over there tomorrow morning and would appreciate some help with location to maximise time.

Cheers,

Rob

Tim got in 1st...as he says...warren lane > visitor centre top car park > walk left along path with views over longbridge > passed viewing place and pond is next with pines around it.
Keith :t:

1...MAP
2...The pond

p.s. hope they are there Friday pm.....please !!!

Attachments

• Lickey map copy.jpg
    Lickey map copy.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Lickey pond.jpg
    Lickey pond.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 84
Tim got in 1st...as he says...warren lane > visitor centre top car park > walk left along path with views over longbridge > passed viewing place and pond is next with pines around it.

1...MAP
2...The pond

p.s. hope they are there Friday pm.....please !!!

Hi Keith,

Pretty sure you've got the wrong pond labeled and photo'd its the larger one surrounded by large scots pines south of the pond you've highlighted

Hi Keith,

Pretty sure you've got the wrong pond labeled and photo'd its the larger one surrounded by large scots pines south of the pond you've highlighted

Might well be the wrong one.....:eek!:

Looked at your map link and it points to the visitor centre private car park.
South from the centre is down to the childrens play ground.
Is it off the path that goes to the Icarus sculpture ?

Livae from bed.....just dropping off and remembered the pond you are on about.Yes just to the left of the path...not been there for ages.
Keith

SO ANYONE GOING....DISREGARD MY EARLIER MAP AND PIC......ITS SOUTH OF THERE.

Last edited:
18 Crossbills still Cofton Hill this morning but no sign of anything approaching the size of a Parrot so far (per Andy Warr).

Brian

Well done to all who clocked the Crossbills in the morning....I popped in this afternoon.....windy - cold and miserable and the weather was crap as well.:-O

No Crossbills around so will try in the morning.
Good flock of Brambling reported at Twatling road though.

Very brief view of 4/5 Crossbill high in pines by pond on Cofton Hill at 8.15.Scared off by walkers.
Can stay much longer so need to come again tomorrow.
Keith.

There was a flock of Crossbills around Hawkbatch, in the Wyre last Saturday (and I heard them round there a few weeks ago too, so it is a regular spot).

They weren't visible while I was there, and I did play the call of 2-barred with no response, but in light of the Lickey Parrot X, it may be worth locals checking this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back