• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding logs (1 Viewer)

Dingoblu

I want to start keeping a birding log, and was wondering how everyone else goes about setting them up. Is there someplace you can get printed logs to just add your dates to the species or make up your own? If making your own, what is the best way to set it up?

Thanks!

When I first started keeping birding logs, I wrote them down in a cheap notebook and then transcribed the sightings, with commentary, into a birding journal file on my computer. I would note weather conditions and anything unusual or noteworthy, and then type out the list. For a while I used eBird, which is free, and allows you to enter your sightings into a publicly accessible database. Another option is to purchase one of the various bird database programs. If you do, I highly recommend Avisys, which is fast and easy to use. There are a few others available as well.

Many parks and wildlife refuges have bird checklists that they distribute for free. Also local Audubon and ornithological societies maintain checklists that may be printed from the web or obtained for a nominal fee. (Such as this from DC Audubon. I couldn't find one on the NY Audubon web page.) If you prefer that method, you can get one and print or photocopy as many as you need.

Really it depends on what works best for you.

Blog it!

A great way to keep a birding log is to create a Blog by using a service like blogspot - www.blogspot.com . Not only is this a safe place to store your recoreds, notes, comments, photos etc, it also 'publishes' them online. Simple to set up and quite satisfying!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back