• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and Beer (1 Viewer)

Mendocino Brewing Company from somewhere in Northern California has several bird related beers including Red Tail Ale, Blue Heron Pale Ale and Peregrine Golden Ale. The labels are nice and the beer's not to bad either.
www.mendobrew.com and no, I don't work for them... : )
Nathan

Kingfisherworld is a big company in Bangalore, India. They produce the famous Kingfisher Beer which you get all over India and sometimes in Europe.

I've seen a Yellowhammer (a pale ale) and Red Kite (bitter) from a Scottish Brewery - something like Orkney Brewery ??

Eagle Ales

I looked into this a while back with some CAMRA types in answer to a similar question specifically about eagles that began as a pub argument over a pint of Chalres Wells' Eagle IPA (which is now quite widespread.) Trumans brewed an Eagle Ale (I'm not sure if they still do); Marstons did too. Cuillin Brewery on the Isle of Skye brew a Golden Eagle Ale, although the Burton Bridge ale of the same name was in honour of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards"! Westerhams brew a Black Eagle Special Pale Ale, and several pubs called the Spread Eagle have given their "own label" to proprietary brews.

But the "research" came up with a real gem of a brewery for the birder: Cotleigh's of Wiveliscombe, Somerset. As well as their own Eagle and Golden Eagle ales they've also produced

Cornish Chough
Buzzard
Barn Owl
Hobby
Blue Jay
Tawny
Cuckoo
Harrier SPA
Harrier Lite
Kiwi
Kingfisher
Kookaburra
Magpie
Merlin
Osprey
Old Buzzard
Peregrine Porter
Snowy
Swift

Many of these are dead brews, others irregular, but their permanent brands include Tawny, Golden Eagle, Buzzard and Barn Owl. They're major donors to the Hawk and Owl Trust too.

I have a recollection of being given a bottle of Red Kite ale for my birthday this year; can't remember who brewed it though.

SiG said:
I have a recollection of being given a bottle of Red Kite ale for my birthday this year; can't remember who brewed it though.

Google helped me out: Black Isle Brewery, who also produce a Yellowhammer. These are organic beers (I remember thinking they were fine!) Despite the name the brewery is on the mainland, near Muir of Ord.

Google also pointed out that Wychwood brewery have also produced a Red Kite ale.

(I'm enthusing about this topic :eat: )

This has captured my imagination ... Google also throws up another fine bird brewery, Woodhampton:

Woodhampton Dipper
Woodhampton Kingfisher
Woodhampton Wagtail
Woodhampton Wheat Ear
Woodhampton Winter Warbler
Woodhamton Raven's Head

And, getting into this now ...

Oulton Ales of Suffolk produce/have produced

Cormorant Black Porter
Albatross
Canary

And then there's the GOLDFINCH BREWERY in Dorchester ...

and the GOOSE EYE brewery in Keighley with a whole raft of brews that would probably qualify for this list ...

The KING Brewery of Horsham does a Mallard Ale ...

and now my battery's getting low on the laptop, and I need to get a beer from the cellar. Ttfn.

wintibird said:
Kingfisherworld is a big company in Bangalore, India. They produce the famous Kingfisher Beer which you get all over India and sometimes in Europe.

Kingfisher is a very common beer in Britain. Especially in Indian restaurants.

The Brimstage Brewery, Merseyside's 9th local brewery, is just about to come on stream at Thornton Hough, Wirral (Wales really, but we'll take the credit ;) ) and ... they're producing an "Oyster Catcher Stout" sic

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back