• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds don't notice my feeder. (1 Viewer)

Doughnuteater

Is there any reason? It is a pretty grayish, not-colorful feeder. There is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds in it so food shouldn't be a problem. Can they not see that it is there, or what?

The thing is, they will fly right by it, and sometimes even sit within 2' of it, and not notice it. Is that normal?

They will notice it but will need time to get used to it. Birds are always wary about new things. They will watch it for a while and I see no reason at all why you wont start seeing birds on it.

Last edited:
Hi,
As others have already mentioned, the birds will find your feeder. There is currently plenty of 'natural' food available to them (late spring through early autumn), so they don't really need the seed in your feeder. This time of year, I usually cut way back on the numer of times that I refill my feeder (or completely stop refilling). Eventually, a bird will start using your feeder...others will start using it...your feed costs will skyrocket:clap:. In the meantime, you might try scattering some seed on the ground below & around the feeder, and replace the seed in the feeder if it starts to look moldy. Best Wishes. :t:

Ron

My tit family pounce on any new feeder I put out within about 10 minutes. I put a sunflower hearts feeder up today - within minutes it was being heartily ransacked.

Squirrels like new feeders too, but this one has defeated the first squirrel that came along - I've put it on one of those double shepherd's hook poles, and they bounce all over the place when the squirrel lands on it, and is so rickety he can't hang on long enough to reach the feeders - hilarious to watch ;)

Should have added, I agree with the comments about it being the time of year where birds need feeders less. However, my coal/great/blue tits still pop in for regular visits throughout the day.

The only critters eating me out of house and home are the squirrels....currently have a diversionary feeding plan in place which should result in them finally using their own feeder rather than two hanging feeders - their own feeder has been up a day, it's been inspected, but none of them have cracked the code yet (lift the lid, my friend, lift the lid...)

Good advice - the more feeders you have, the more chance you have of enticing the birds in.

I'm getting some I really didn't expect to host - my first chaffinch on Tuesday who is now a daily visitor and I'm fairly sure a greenfinch popped in this afternoon - just saw a flash of green (not a tit, definitely) but he moved too fast. If so, I'm well chuffed - I really didn't expect to get any finches...

I'd love to know whether the original poster is getting birds in now - maybe too swamped by birdies to post here ;)

I'm interested too in whether they have found Doghnuteater's nest - I've put one out with little (live) mealworms for the robins and their chicks, and am now wondering how to get them to spot it - scattering some food around not being an option here! I'd be happy if any bird found it to be honest before the worms die...

Actually, I was gone for a week, and it dosen't look like any birds came. But, while I was gone, I saw a Western Tanager, and some kind of woodpecker with a white spot on it's back.

Ok, now I've been reading around, and I'm wondering if this is the problem...
Does it make THAT much of a difference if the feeder is covered or not? We don't have many trees, and the feeder is out in the open.

Good news though:
I saw a hummer at our hummer feeder, and a House Finch and Magpies at our ground feeder w/ millet.
So visitors to the tube feeder w/ Sunflower seeds though .__.

Luckily, by B-Day is being celebrated in 2 days and I told everyone I was bird feeders & different sorts of bird food :D

Ok, now I've been reading around, and I'm wondering if this is the problem...
Does it make THAT much of a difference if the feeder is covered or not? We don't have many trees, and the feeder is out in the open.

Good news though:
I saw a hummer at our hummer feeder, and a House Finch and Magpies at our ground feeder w/ millet.
So visitors to the tube feeder w/ Sunflower seeds though .__.

Luckily, by B-Day is being celebrated in 2 days and I told everyone I was bird feeders & different sorts of bird food :D

Congrats on your hummer, and early HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES!

The feeders don't need to be covered, but many birds do indeed prefer some sort of cover (shrubs, trees, etc.) near the feeding station, as it gives them a sense of security and they can use the branches as perches as they 'stage' their way in to the feeder. However, I don't think that it is absolutey essential. Perhaps you might try a couple of large potted shrubs nearby, or a couple of extra shepherd hooks with some small branches or wooden dowels attached for perching.

I really do believe that when cooler weather arrives, you will have a good variety of birds. Bird baths also attract a lot of birds, as has been mentioned. I'm not sure how near to you the closest shrubs & trees are. If you are in a shrubless & treeless area, such as prairie or open plains, then you will probably not get many of the Passerines (perching birds). Good luck...keep trying. Best Wishes. :t:

Ron

Last edited:
There is a tree right next to it(Though small, you can see throught he leaves) and no bushes....
but...
FINALLY. The birds have found it. I saw 3 House Finches and 2 Savannah Sparrows (I think :p) at the feeder today!

Holy hell you people were right. Im getting a contant show of House Finches and Black-Chinned Hummingbirds, with occasional Western Kingbirds and AmericanRobins. I think I may have evven seen a Rufous Hummer.

Holy hell you people were right. Im getting a contant show of House Finches and Black-Chinned Hummingbirds, with occasional Western Kingbirds and AmericanRobins. I think I may have evven seen a Rufous Hummer.

Told you so ;) My dad was the same, he put up some feeders and was expecting instant success. I told him to wait a while and now he's been treated to a wide variety of birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back