• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (14 Viewers)

I got down to St Fittick's this evening for dusk, which was fairly calm and cool with a slight mist drifting in. Six Teal were in the marsh and a Water Rail showed well from the concrete bridge. There was a bit more of an evening flight of Snipe from the marsh than there has been for a while, with 17 leaving after dark. Better still, a Jack Snipe was found with the thermal imager in vegetation between the marsh and the burn.

Was the little flock of starlings on the rocks in GreyHope Bay about to head back to the Continent? Or were they just enjoying a day at the beach?

It was a very pleasant day today in Torry and I had a decent walk around the area. The St Fittick's area was busy with birds, with at least seven Chiffchaffs a good number. Not too much of note was seen, however, although there were still five Teal about. The headland was equally quiet, but was enlivened by my first Sandwich Tern of the year fishing in Greyhope Bay. The dolphins were busy offshore and I also had views of a classic 'pinkish-buff' coloured spring Meadow Pipit.

Attachments

• Eider_Girdle Ness_260322a.jpg
    Eider_Girdle Ness_260322a.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Eider_Girdle Ness_260322b.jpg
    Eider_Girdle Ness_260322b.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Meadow Pipit_Girdle Ness_260322a.jpg
    Meadow Pipit_Girdle Ness_260322a.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 11
It was a mostly fine day again today, although with some lingering sea mist (more on that later). St Fittick's was pleasantly busy with birds. Two Snipe and three Teal were in the marsh and a Water Rail was showing nicely at the concrete bridge. Plenty of Toads were in small, clear pool by the path. Eight Chiffchaffs were spread around today. Nigg Bay was a bit murky but again featured a Black Guillemot. I wonder what it's up to.

It was a challenge to see a lot around the headland, as the band of haar lingered just offshore. The upside to this was the striking sight of a fog bow that appeared for quite some time over Greyhope Bay. A delicately lovely thing.

Attachments

• Fogbow_Girdle Ness_270322a.jpg
    Fogbow_Girdle Ness_270322a.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 16
I really like that Fog-bow Andrew! I've never seen anything like that before.
Thanks! Certainly the best I've ever seen. Here's some more info on them:

We had haar-like conditions on the Firth of Clyde today. Interesting the way the fog seemed to settle in the middle of the firth as visibility was reduced as we approached the middle, then improved again as we approached the opposite shore. This happened four times. The water was so calm too, barely a ripple.

We had haar-like conditions on the Firth of Clyde today. Interesting the way the fog seemed to settle in the middle of the firth as visibility was reduced as we approached the middle, then improved again as we approached the opposite shore. This happened four times. The water was so calm too, barely a ripple.
It was striking today how the bank of fog, once it retreated out to sea, curved back towards the mouth of the Don, just leaving Aberdeen Bay clear.

Attachments

• Fog bank_Girdle Ness_270322a.jpg
    Fog bank_Girdle Ness_270322a.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 12
The upside to this was the striking sight of a fog bow that appeared for quite some time over Greyhope Bay. A delicately lovely thing.
It's beautiful Andrew. I've seen some strange misty sights, but never that one. Never even heard of a fog bow before!

It's been a colder week here and the weather seems to have slowed everything down, with not much moving. Tuesday 29th brought my first Peregrine of the year, circling over Tullos Hill. Four Reed Buntings were an odd sight, hopping about by the road near the foghorn. Two were in the same area on 1st April. Perhaps they were migrating birds grounded by the weather.

The weather was calm today and reasonably bright at times but still cool. The marsh held three Snipe, three Teal and a Water Rail. A Stock Dove was seen flying over towards Torry. A Sandwich Tern was going north over the new harbour wall in Nigg Bay. The headland was mostly quiet late afternoon but a few ducks were moving, with 12 Common Scoters and two Red-breasted Mergansers north. A Harbour Porpoise surfaced a couple of times. Three drake Long-tailed Ducks were coming into summer plumage among the gulls north of the North Pier.

Attachments

• Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_010422a.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_010422a.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 2
Another cool day, with mostly calm and bright conditions before it clouded over in the afternoon. The usual fare was on show at St Fittick's, including two Snipe, five Teal and a Water Rail. Some excitement came when the source of a low croak from overhead was located: a pair of Ravens circling high over the area. They flew out over the headland, tumbling a little as they did so, before continuing swiftly inland. This was my first sighting here for over a year, so it's good to know there are still some around.

A seawatch from the headland produced my second Manx Shearwater of the year heading north. Also moving were 13 Common Scoters. A couple of Harbour Porpoises were again offshore.

Attachments

• Raven_Girdle Ness_030422a.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_030422a.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 6
  • Raven_Girdle Ness_030422b.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_030422b.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Raven_Girdle Ness_030422c.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_030422c.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 6
No Raven for me at the Park this morning but I had a pleasant walk,In cold but sunny conditions.I had two different Water Rails from the Concrete Bridge and a pair of Bullfinch,on the trees surrounding Tullos Playfields.The strangest sighting came from here also,as a single Redwing was picking through the leaf litter.Chiffchaff were calling from four different areas of the Park.A pair of Teal were on the burn with the usual Mallards and Moorhen.Blue,Coal and Great Tits were around but I've not seen any Long tailed Tits for a few weeks now.
The main Pond area was practically empty,apart from a pair of Reed Buntings but this was not a surprise,as the colour of the water,was like something from a 1960s Sci Fi movie.Chaffinch and Goldfinch calls accompanied me,all around the Park and Spring Is In the air.

Fairly quiet this week, with not too much progress on the spring front. This evening around the headland produced a Sandwich Tern, 22 Common Scoters and a Black Guillemot.

* Blows dust off thread *

I've been back in town a few days but didn't have a chance to check out the patch until this evening. The weather was cool but serene and, not surprisingly, there were some seasonal developments since I was last here. Willow Warblers were quite numerous, including one singing on Abbey Road. Four Swallows and a Sand Martin were along the north bank and eight Sandwich Terns were around the harbour mouth. A male Wheatear was along the shore near the foghorn and a Black Guillemot was still 'being interested' in the new harbour.

I had a look around St Fittick's at dusk. Two male Yellowhammers, one singing along the edge of the golf course and one in the trees by the marsh, were good to see. A Snipe was flying about overhead.

It was a placid, cloudy evening today in Torry and I had another look around the headland. Things were mostly quiet but two Whimbrel flew north and at least eight Common Terns gathered around the harbour mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back