• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

After a phone call this morning,saying there was a SE Owl near the Battery,I had a quick walk round "The Ness" at lunchtime.No sign of the Owl but a large number of Purple Sandpipers on the Skates Nose and Greyhope Bay.I didnt have time to count them all but Im sure It would have been an Impressive number for Andrews totaliser.

Quite a lot of Razorbills just offshore,plus 6 Red throated Divers and a Red breasted Merganser,struggling to eat Its catch,which brought a lot of onlooking Gulls to the bird.

Cheers for the info. Would be interested to know if anyone else sees it. I may be able to finish work early on Monday to have a look (if it's likely to still be around). I also need to look for the other birds I've managed to miss there as well (Purple Sandpiper, Razorbill, Red-throated Diver)...

Enjoyed a pleasant first wander round the Ness of the year this afternoon, in bright, calm conditions. Quite a few Red-breasted Mergansers about, all drakes, with three on the harbour and two on Nigg Bay. Also at least ten Red-throated Divers and a good showing of Bottlenose Dolphins off the Coo. A Fulmar went north and one Razorbill was on Nigg Bay.

There have been plenty of white-winged gulls in the northeast lately, so I was hoping for something along those lines today. At first it didn't look too promising, with rather low numbers of gulls about, but then I noticed a very fine adult Iceland Gull on the breakwater pier. I hope it sticks around, which Icelands often don't seem to here, and that it's the first of many.

As the sun drew close to the horizon a Short-eared Owl began to hunt the grassy ridges on the south side of the golf course. It seemed to catch something, as it came down abruptly and intently. Another soon began to quarter the same area - the first time I've seen two together at Girdle Ness. A Grey Wagtail was along the stream in Nigg Bay.

Here's a shot of the Iceland Gull (on the right).

Attachments

• Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_14112a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_14112a.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 101
Bit quieter today. Most frustrating was seeing a flock of nine geese going south, but I couldn't see them well enough to ID. I'm fairly sure they weren't Pink-feet. Otherwise not a lot really: two Red-breasted Mergansers, a few Kittiwakes, a Song Thrush on the golf course and a Buzzard going south.

Bit quieter today. Most frustrating was seeing a flock of nine geese going south, but I couldn't see them well enough to ID. I'm fairly sure they weren't Pink-feet. Otherwise not a lot really: two Red-breasted Mergansers, a few Kittiwakes, a Song Thrush on the golf course and a Buzzard going south.

Didn't notice any of the birds you mention (I should pay more attention to gulls...) but did see a Short-eared Owl flying about over the golf course. A helpful chap I bumped into said he'd seen two.

Didn't notice any of the birds you mention (I should pay more attention to gulls...) but did see a Short-eared Owl flying about over the golf course. A helpful chap I bumped into said he'd seen two.

It's possible that was me, if it was in Greyhope Bay late morning. Glad you got to see one of the owls!

Had my first check of the Ness in a while today, although it was quiet. 2 Red-throated Divers were around, one in Nigg Bay and the other off the Coo. Offshore a few Kittiwakes went past, as did a number of Razorbill (2 were in Nigg Bay). At least 47 Purple Sandpipers were in Greyhope Bay. A check of the warehouses round Torry and the Ness itself drew a blank for any white-winged gulls; in fact there was a notable lack of gulls around in general. Still nice to visit though.

Joseph

Last edited:
Think I saw similar birds to you Joseph, though with a couple of Gannets also offshore. There weren't too many gulls around today. Numbers often seem a bit higher during the week, perhaps when more fish processing is going on. There haven't been any white-wingers about even then though.

It's possible that was me, if it was in Greyhope Bay late morning. Glad you got to see one of the owls!

I think it was someone else as it was on the golf course in the middle of the afternoon... Went back the next day but didn't see any Short-eared Owls.

Got a glimpse, out of the office window this morning, of a bird that I haven't seen before. Saw the usual, looking towards the harbour (Black-headed Gull, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Redshank, Eider...), them something black and white (mainly black top-half & white bottom-half) floated past. Before I got chance to check out the other features it took a dive, and then I had to get back to work. Shame I didn't get a longer look or have my binoculars. From the birds mentioned above I suppose it was a Razorbill but welcome other suggestions.

Just had brief views of a shorty quartering over the golf course just east of the allotments. Nice to know they're still around.

It was at about half two...hunted around the battery for a wee bit and then moved off south after being bothered by a crow. I'm sure it will be around again tomorrow.

Just had a quick trip round "The Ness" and no sign of the SE Owl but thats not to say,It wont appear later on.Anyone heading there,should make sure their thermal underwear is on,as Its freezing. ;)

Was happy to see a Short Eared Owl just after 1pm today near the Battery. There was some sitting in the sun and some flying... It eventually flew of south after being harassed by a gull. Have also had some nice views of a male Goosander in the harbour, from the office window, this week (although its head was looking surprisingly black).

Made a day of birding alone by foot round the Ness today, covering the whole area from the North Bank to Nigg Bay. It was a nice sunny start and I was well prepared for the cold weather. However, I wasn't prepared for a strong southerly wind which basted me for much of my visit.

Yet despite the deceivingly bad weather, the birding was rather good and emphasised the rewards of meticulous checking. The Torry warehouses did not hold any white-winged gulls as largely expected, so it was round to the North Bank. Things started quietly, but at the second breakwater a group of 78 Purple Sandpipers were widely spread amongst a few Redshanks. Walking past the second breakwater, I was pleasantly surprised to flush a single Knot from the rocks; a species I haven't seen too often at the Ness. Further on at Greyhope Bay, another 14 Purple Sandpiper were had, taking today's Purple Sand totaliser up to 92 .

I slogged my way against the wind to the Coo, where I managed to shelter and get some sea-watching in. Although not at sea, the undoubted highlight here and of the day was a Woodcock, flushed from right under my feet on the raised ground by the Coo/foghorn. It flew quite a way and appeared to land somewhere along the South Bank. This bird had almost certainly just come in off the sea; behaviour that's been witnessed country wide since this cold spell so this was fantastic to see. A half an hour seawatch produced a few commoner things, including 3 Red-breasted Mergansers (two drakes and a female) north, 7 Gannets north and a few Fulmars, Kittiwakes, and auks loafing about.

Round to Nigg Bay, which held a Red-throated Diver but not much else. I then turned back, heading across the golf course to try for the Short-eared Owl. As expected due to the wind I was unsuccessful, but I am sure it is still in the area. However, a Redshank scurrying around right at the heart of the golf course was interesting; presumably because it was sheltering from the wind. By Victoria Bridge there was a Sparrowhawk. All in all, a worthwile visit despite the weather.

Joseph

Last edited:
Things started quietly, but at the second breakwater a group of 78 Purple Sandpipers were widely spread amongst a few Redshanks. Walking past the second breakwater, I was pleasantly surprised to flush a single Knot from the rocks; a species I haven't seen too often at the Ness. Further on at Greyhope Bay, another 14 Purple Sandpiper were had, taking today's Purple Sand totaliser up to 94 .

Joseph

Hmm, maybe you should have spent the day doing Maths revision ;)

Seriously, sounds like you had a good day

Well, this is what happens when you start posting on this thread Joseph: Dr G gets his knife sharpened. Rather than reading from the pedants' charter, I instead note with approval your spirited involvement with the all important PST, as I like to call it.

Quite impressed with the Woodcock. The Knot was around on Sunday and was about the only noteworthy bird I saw on a wander round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back