• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

A copy of Andrew Painting's Regeneration arrived in the post this morning! My Beloved will enjoy reading about the Mar estate which he has walked across so many times. Thanks, Andrew, for the heads up!
Looking forward to hearing reed buntings again. Quite miss the little show offs bellowing from the reed heads.

I hope you like Andrew's book. I think there's a Zoom event where he'll be discussing it soon. He's a really good writer. I briefly get a mention in the book too!

I had a short look around St Fittick's this morning, in fine and mild weather following pretty heavy overnight rain. The thermal imager helped me pick out a Jack Snipe, huddled down between the marsh and the burn. There were also five Common Snipe roosting and a Teal.

You can zoom in on the Jack Snipe in the pictures.

Attachments

• Jack Snipe_Girdle Ness_100321a.jpg
    Jack Snipe_Girdle Ness_100321a.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Jack Snipe_Girdle Ness_100321b.jpg
    Jack Snipe_Girdle Ness_100321b.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Jack Snipe_Girdle Ness_100321c.jpg
    Jack Snipe_Girdle Ness_100321c.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 13
Good grief... how the heck did you even see him in there Andrew?

Nice one lad.

A copy of Andrew Painting's Regeneration arrived in the post this morning! My Beloved will enjoy reading about the Mar estate which he has walked across so many times.
Is the book about both Mar and Mar Lodge Estate ? Mar Estate Is privately owned and Is nothing to do with Mar Lodge Estate

It's about the NTS Mar Lodge Estate. The author has worked there for a number of years.
The author, Andrew Painting, will be speaking to the NE Scotland branch of the SOC about his new book and the regeneration of important habitats on the Mar Lodge estate (as described in his new book) on 12 April (zoom meeting). Look out for details of how to join on ABZ and elsewhere.

The author, Andrew Painting, will be speaking to the NE Scotland branch of the SOC about his new book and the regeneration of important habitats on the Mar Lodge estate (as described in his new book) on 12 April (zoom meeting). Look out for details of how to join on ABZ and elsewhere.
That's good - I look forward to it. And welcome to forum!

Another quick look around St Fittick's today produced a similar selection of birds as yesterday, including the Jack Snipe in almost exactly the same spot. Five Teal was an increase in numbers and there were again five Common Snipe visible in the marsh.

I got out late afternoon today and stayed out until well after dark. A quick look along the north side of the headland produced my second Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year.

At St Fittick's, the Jack Snipe was again in the same spot, although it had shuffled off somewhere by sunset. Four Teal were in the marsh and three Grey Wagtails roosted in the reedbed. I made a fairly concerted effort to count the Common Snipe coming out of the marsh after dark and reckoned on there being 45. Many headed southwards, so I suspect they may travel reasonably far to feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back