• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

Good to know that the woodpecker has been drumming.

I had a fairly interesting wander around today, in slightly warmer conditions. There were three Chiffchaffs around St Fittick's: a couple around the waterworks and one further west near the concrete bridge. Also around were five Teal, three Snipe, three Stock Doves and the Great Spotted Woodpecker.

The headland produced the bird of the day with a quite striking breeding plumage Scandinavian Rock Pipit (littoralis). It was initially on the breakwater, before hopping about on the beach and then heading to Skate's Nose. It's only the second time I've identified this subspecies here, although I expect they're more frequent than we realise.

284 Purple Sandpipers and 47 Turnstones were roosting. Nine Long-tailed Ducks were in Aberdeen Bay. I also saw a pair of Peregrines food passing over the city.

Attachments

• SRock_Pipit_Girdle Ness_280321a.jpg
    SRock_Pipit_Girdle Ness_280321a.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 19
  • SRock_Pipit_Girdle Ness_280321b.jpg
    SRock_Pipit_Girdle Ness_280321b.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 19
  • SRock_Pipit_Girdle Ness_280321c.jpg
    SRock_Pipit_Girdle Ness_280321c.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 19
Quite mild here in Torry today, but fairly breezy. A wander round the headland in the afternoon was pretty quiet. A Red-throated Diver was extremely close along the north shore near Skate's Nose. It was diving quite frantically. I suspect it may not have been in great condition. It gave some incredible views though.

Otherwise, 259 Purple Sandpipers were roosting and 11 Long-tailed Ducks were off Aberdeen beach.

Attachments

• RT Diver_Girdle Ness_290321a.jpg
    RT Diver_Girdle Ness_290321a.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 8
  • RT Diver_Girdle Ness_290321b.jpg
    RT Diver_Girdle Ness_290321b.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 8
  • RT Diver_Girdle Ness_290321c.jpg
    RT Diver_Girdle Ness_290321c.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 8
OK smarty pants. How do I tell the difference?
3 sand martins this morning were a great distraction from those boring old dolphins that were up level with the inner end of Pocra Quay.
Well done on the Sand Martins! That's the first I've heard of here.

The Scandinavian Rock Pipit in my photo is a bit different to the regular Rock Pipits in a few ways e.g. the rather bright orange-buff breast and belly, the relatively lightly streaked breast and the more obvious whitish supercillium. It should also have whiter outer tail feathers. At this time of year they can sometimes be fairly distinctive, but at other times are much less obvious.

I had a look round St Fittick's this morning, in pretty mild weather. It was mostly quiet, but four Chiffchaffs now seem to be about. There were also a few Peacock butterflies. Otherwise, three Teal, a Water Rail, three Stock Doves and forty Pink-footed Geese heading north.

Well done on the Sand Martins! That's the first I've heard of here.

The Scandinavian Rock Pipit in my photo is a bit different to the regular Rock Pipits in a few ways e.g. the rather bright orange-buff breast and belly, the relatively lightly streaked breast and the more obvious whitish supercillium. It should also have whiter outer tail feathers. At this time of year they can sometimes be fairly distinctive, but at other times are much less obvious.

I had a look round St Fittick's this morning, in pretty mild weather. It was mostly quiet, but four Chiffchaffs now seem to be about. There were also a few Peacock butterflies. Otherwise, three Teal, a Water Rail, three Stock Doves and forty Pink-footed Geese heading north.
The first birdo I met this morning said he'd seen sand martins so I knew to look out for them.
Picking your brains again please. There were two rock pipits, one collecting bits and pieces. So is this tail fanning WALK 21,3,30 rock pipit, South Pier, harbour screen shots 1.pngWALK 21,3,30 rock pipit, South Pier, harbour screen shots 2.pngWALK 21,3,30 rock pipit, South Pier, harbour screen shots 3.pngWALK 21,3,30 rock pipit, South Pier, harbour screen shots 4.pngdisplay?

I've not been able to get out too much this week and only managed an evening walk today, in clear, chilly conditions. A Shelduck went north off the headland. I didn't think any Sand Martins would be hanging around in the cold, but one was darting around near the north bank colony. There seemed to be lots of gulls moving through and a large group of loafing birds on the south side of the harbour included a juvenile Iceland Gull. It soon flew into the outer harbour to bathe before continuing northwestwards at dusk.

It was a pleasant day today, which may not be something I'll be able to say again for a while, looking at the forecast. St Fittick's was starting to seem quite spring-like in the morning. Five Chiffchaffs were singing quite vigorously. Also around were five Teal, seven Snipe and a Stock Dove. I headed round the headland and nine Sand Martins were busily flying about near the sandbanks on the north side. My first Sandwich Tern of the year was fishing on the far side of the North Pier.

I headed back around the headland late in the afternoon. A very nice male Wheatear was on the golf course - another first of the year. 224 Purple Sandpipers were roosting. There were thousands of gulls offshore, though most were well to the north. I bet there's something interesting in amongst them.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_030421a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_030421a.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_030421a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_030421a.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 7
It's actually been fairly pleasant again here today (although the rain has started as I write). St Fittick's was calm and mild this morning. The usual stuff was around, including four Teal, two Stock Doves and four Snipe. Some notable breeding action was a pair of Grey Wagtails along the burn and a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker along the embankment. The latter was a 'sound tick' for here. A pair of Sparrowhawks were also up together over Tullos Hill.

The headland was fairly quiet. A Sandwich Tern went north. At least eight Sand Martins were around across both sites.

Attachments

• Eider_Girdle Ness_040421a.jpg
    Eider_Girdle Ness_040421a.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Eider_GIrdle Ness_040421b.jpg
    Eider_GIrdle Ness_040421b.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 0
I had a very quick visit to St Fitticks Park,early this morning,to top up my Feeders before the bad weather forecast for the next few days arrives.Plenty of bird song as I walked around,especially Chiffchaff and Chaffinch.The local Buzzard was seen again,this time making a hasty retreat back to the Park,after a foray up to the nearbye houses,where It was being given a hard time from the local Gull population.Three Roe Deer were feeding near the Wooden Bridge before the dog walkers arrived.

Bit of a cold one here today, with frequent squally snow showers and a bitter northwesterly wind. It felt easily as cold as at any time during the winter. I managed a reasonably good look around the headland late in the afternoon. The main incident was a couple of juvenile Iceland Gulls among large numbers of other gulls in Nigg Bay. I think that's the first time I've seen 'multiple' Iceland Gulls here. Not too much was moving out to sea, although lots of Kittiwakes and other gulls were drifting about. A Sandwich Tern went north, which it made look relatively easy. Somewhat surprisingly a male Wheatear was toughing things out on the golf course near Greyhope Bay.

Attachments

• Girdle Ness_050421a.jpg
    Girdle Ness_050421a.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 14
I did my 'Gunga Din' act again today, and headed out round the headland this afternoon. It wasn't quite as snowy as yesterday, but the wind seemed stronger and even colder. It was a bit quieter too. Gulls were still moving through but there weren't the same numbers of gulls resting on the water or loafing about. The male Wheatear was still at the eastern end of the golf course.

I thought we were going to warm up for a couple of days before getting blasted from the north again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back