• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (13 Viewers)

I had another morning walk In St Fitticks Park today.I was hoping to see Bullfinch but sadly,they obviously did'nt read the script !! I had a look on the main Pond,In the hope yesterday's Shoveler was still around but I never seen It.The usual Mallards and Moorhens were on the Pond,along with a very cold,fed up,looking Heron.A flock of 30+ Finches flew over the back of the Pond and disappeared Into the trees but I never got a good enough look to ID them.Three Teal were around and I only seen one Snipe,which I shall come to later.Again,I seen two different Sparrowhawks flying around.Blue,Coal and Great Tits were on or around the Feeders,as were three Roe Deer.
I stood for a while on the Concrete Bridge,hoping to see Water Rail but I never seen any,despite their regular calling from the reeds.While standing here,a Snipe came flying overhead being pursued by a Sparrowhawk.The Sprawk gave up the chase but before the Snipe could feel safe,another Sprawk joined the chase.I never seen the outcome but my money would have been on the Snipe.
As I was heading for home,there was a commotion In the trees,near the Hydro Sub Station on Girdleness Road.The Magpies and Carrion Crows were going crazy,so I had a walk over to find one of the Sparrowhawks had taken a Redwing out of the trees.It then flew across the field,towards the Football Pitches,carrying the unfortunate Redwing.

The thaw set in today, with temperatures becoming quite mild by midday and the wind picking up from the southeast. Birds were moving in response, with a scatter of thrushes, including 26 Fieldfares and seven Redwings. Around the marsh at St Fittick's were two Snipe, two Water Rails, two Teal, seven Siskins, six Redpolls and two Pheasants. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen briefly and at least two Woodcock were flushed. A Buzzard appeared for a time and got plenty of grief from the crows and Magpies. BN's feeders were busy with Long-tailed Tits and a Coal Tit visiting.

The golf course was attracting a few waders, including a Lapwing and a Golden Plover. Another Woodcock was flushed from along the main track over the top. A drake Wigeon was sitting about on the rocks between Greyhope Bay and the foghorn. Three Goldeneye were on the river near Victoria Bridge.

Attachments

• Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222b.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222b.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222c.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222c.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222d.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222d.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222e.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222e.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222f.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_181222f.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Coal Tit_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Coal Tit_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 16
  • Golden Plover_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Golden Plover_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Ringed Plover_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Ringed Plover_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 16
  • LT Tit_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    LT Tit_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Snipe_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Snipe_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Water Rail_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Water Rail_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Wigeon_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    Wigeon_Girdle Ness_181222a.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 14
Probably my last local birding of the year today. I headed around St Fittick's and then went from there over to the River Dee. Things were fairly quiet, although there were still quite a few thrushes about, with 30 Redwings and eight Fieldfares. Also around were two Teal, three Snipe, a Redpoll and three Siskin. A Woodcock was again flushed from one of the planted areas. There was time for a patch year tick along Kirkhill Place, where I was very pleased to bump into a Treecreeper. It's a species that seems to have been less common this year than for a while. It was species number 144 for 2022 - not quite as high as the past two years but still pretty good.

Attachments

• Treecreeper_Girdle Ness_201222a.jpg
    Treecreeper_Girdle Ness_201222a.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 7
Well Done,Andrew and that Is still an excellent tally of species seen. (y) I shall hopefully be around between Christmas and New Year but doubt I shall see anything,that you have'nt seen already.Have a super Christmas and thanks for posting your sightings.Always Interesting to read.

I had a walk around St Fitticks Park this morning,In sunny weather for a change ! 4 Bullfinch were near the Basketball area.Also a couple of Long tailed Tits at my Feeders.3 Roe Deer were feeding out In the open but other than that,It was quiet.A single Water Rail was at the Concrete Bridge.For the first time In a while,I never seen any Snipe.On the rocks off Greyhope Bay,there were a pair of Grey Plover,amongst the more usual waders.

I had a Boxing Day walk around the Park,this morning.First bird seen,was a Sparrowhawk patrolling the trees to the north.No Water Rail seen or heard at the Concrete Bridge but I heard them calling,down past the Wooden Bridge,towards the Main Pond.I don't think I have heard or seen them In this area before.There were no less than 6 Roe Deer grazing on the grass Basketball Pitch (aka the Triangle Pitch) but they soon moved Into the trees,once the first dog encounter took place.On the Pond Itself,were the usual Mallard,Moorhen and a solitary Heron.
As I made my way to my Feeders,the Buzzard that has been around recently,was sitting on the signpost to Tullos Hill but was soon moved on by Magpies and Carrion Crows.Once I had filled the Feeders,It was not long before 4 species of Tit arrived on them.Blue,Coal,Great and a party of 8 Long tailed Tits had a feeding frenzy,with a Robin picking up the scraps underneath.As I made my way home,a small party of Siskin flew overhead calling and a single Redwing was feeding on the grass near Tullos Field.A nice way to start Boxing Day.

I had my last walk around St Fitticks Park for 2022 this morning.Like the streets leadiing to the Park,things were very quiet.The first bird of note I seen,was a male Bullfinch,followed by a Redwing In the small Pines beside the Main Pond.Large areas of open water were frozen over and any water held the usual Mallard and Moorhen and as per usual,a single Heron was next to the reeds at the back of the pond.On making my way to my Feeders,there was a welcome party of 8 Redpoll on the trees beside the Basketball Court.
The Feeders were bringing In Blue,Coal and Great Tits,as well as singles of Chaffinch and Robin.There were 5 Roe Deer at the edge of the wood.For the first time In a while,no raptors were seen and I only came across a single Teal.The Water Rail were calling from the Concrete Bridge and I managed two sightings of them,before I headed for home.
Finally,may I take this opportunity to wish everyone a "Happy New Year",when It arrives and may your Bins,Lenses and Scopes be busy and successful In 2023.

I also had a walk around St Fitticks Park yesterday but In the morning. (Apologies for the late post)
More or less the usual birds that have been seen,were seen again,Including a flock of 34 Siskin.Up at the Feeders,were Blue,Coal and Great Tit and two female Bullfinch.There was a bit more Water Rail action,with plenty of calling and at least 3 birds seen from the Concrete Bridge.
I then headed to Greyhope Bay,as the tide was coming In and on the rocks off the Car Park were,Purple Sandpipers,Knot,Turnstone,Redshank,Curlew and Oyster Catcher.A decent sized flock of 17 Long tailed Tits,were In a garden on Farquhar Road.
Back to work tomorrow,which shall limit my walks but hopefully Andrew shall be back soon,to keep everyone updated on what Is around.

I was thinking I might need to visit an optician, as on my visit to St Fittick's on Wednesday, just before sunset, I saw next to nothing, didn't even find the BN feeders. I did hear 2 Water Rail near the concrete bridge though.

Then on Thursday afternoon I saw nothing onshore at Greyhope Bay, but on the piers there were 15 Turnstone, 6 Redshank, 2 Great Black-backed Gull, and more than 140 Purple Sandpiper, also 46 Oystercatcher, and a Pied Wagtail up at the Battery.

There were 5 Dolphins jumping just outside the harbour, and a few Seals, including one which was enjoying a Salmon.

Attachments

• 20230106_013121.jpg
    20230106_013121.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230106_004647.jpg
    20230106_004647.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230106_011238.jpg
    20230106_011238.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230106_012117.jpg
    20230106_012117.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ben Nevis gave me location of his feeders, so I was back at St Fittick's this afternoon. At the feeders I saw 3 Chaffinch, Greenfinch, 2 Coal Tit, 2 Blue Tit, and 2 Long-tailed Tit. On the other side of the concrete bridge there were 2 Goldfinch, and 10 more Blue Tit. Whilst 2 Teal were in the marsh over towards the harbour, 2 Blackbird, Jackdaw, and 4 Oystercatcher over.
The tide was high but there were 3 Turnstone at Greyhope Bay, with at least 7 more on the piers, along with 70 Oystercatcher, 10 Common Ringed Plover, 30 Purple Sandpiper, 40 Redshank. Counts are approximate due to darkness.

I'm back on patch now and had a go at getting the year list ball rolling today. I actually started the year list yesterday when I was walking home from the bus station, and managed to pick up Goldeneye and Goosander at Victoria Bridge. Today the weather was much nicer and I had a good walk around the headland early afternoon. The main target was the seemingly long-staying Grey Plover, which eventually appeared on the breakwater. That's one I didn't see at all last year. Otherwise the birds were much as expected, although I was pleased to get Razorbill and Kittiwake on the list fairly early. It was also good to see plenty of dolphin activity. On the way back, I scanned over Nigg Bay with the scope and found the wintering Great Northern Diver in its usual corner. Another species that's potentially miss-able, so it was a successful opening session.

Attachments

• Grey Plover_Girdle Ness_110123a.jpg
    Grey Plover_Girdle Ness_110123a.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 14
I'm back on patch now and had a go at getting the year list ball rolling today. I actually started the year list yesterday when I was walking home from the bus station, and managed to pick up Goldeneye and Goosander at Victoria Bridge. Today the weather was much nicer and I had a good walk around the headland early afternoon. The main target was the seemingly long-staying Grey Plover, which eventually appeared on the breakwater. That's one I didn't see at all last year. Otherwise the birds were much as expected, although I was pleased to get Razorbill and Kittiwake on the list fairly early. It was also good to see plenty of dolphin activity. On the way back, I scanned over Nigg Bay with the scope and found the wintering Great Northern Diver in its usual corner. Another species that's potentially miss-able, so it was a successful opening session.
Welcome Back,Andrew (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back