• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Prey - Help needed to Identify (1 Viewer)

Pic 3 in post 12 looks like a crow or raven to me. I could maybe see it as a WTE, but not an Aquila or Buteo with those deep-based wings and head projection.

I agree that the prey is a rabbit rather than a lamb, but if it's an adult rabbit, I think the bird carrying it is too big for a Common Buzzard. Could be a half-grown young one of course though (maybe more likely as less wary/experienced and easier for a predator to catch?)

Yup, I missed the fact that the last picture was of a red kite and not the bird(s) in the other photos. That threw me. I'm pretty confident about the rabbit! :)

An easy way to distinguish between sitting or perching (Black/Red) kites and harriers is the length of the legs/tarsi. In the Western Palearctic (or at least Europe), kites (as demonstrated by the Red Kite in the picture) have shorter legs than other raptors in the area, while harriers have long legs.

But long legs may be partly hidden. So seeing long legs may prove something, but seeing only short legs (as here) doesn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back