• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (2 Viewers)

Was the 1995 bird at Larford?
Yes, in Jan 95 where it spent a couple of days with a RT Diver.
Prior to that, the previous county record was in 1985. The 1980 Bittell bird was the first since 1962 so quite a scarce bird in Worcs.

Seems to be much more regular in Staffs & Warks, I guess having a few more larger reservoirs helps.

Lucky close-up of the BTD early this afternoon. Also, 4-5 YLGs on Upper.

Attachments

• P1020209.jpg
    P1020209.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reservoir Year List

Happy new year to all birders, Worcs and beyond!

If I'm honest, my patch year-list for 2018 is more of an August-December list due to missing the spring with exams and the unfavourable conditions until the return migration. This year did however mark my first consistent effort on the patch, and overall I managed to record 104 species. There have been more seen than this, but 104 is my personal total.

The new meadow-like habitat on Upper provided a productive passerine passage. July-September held a 'resident' group of 4-6 Yellow Wagtails, whilst one evening closer to 20 where seen going in to roost. An abundance of Reed Bunting (15+), Sedge Warbler (scarce in my experience, 20+ recorded on one day), and Whitethroat (30+) could be seen feeding at any one time, along with smaller numbers of Reed Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat.

Whinchat could be seen in respectable numbers (probably approaching double figures) from the first week of September, whilst 2 Stonechat wintered and 3 Tree Pipit were also present from late Aug to mid Sept. A single fem/juv Redstart stayed for a week, whilst an unusually high count of 6 spotted flycatchers were found from early to mid Sept. I personally saw 2 Wheatear this summer, however i'm aware more have been seen.

However, the new conditions meant no shoreline for waders, and my 3 Greenshank, single Dunlin and 2 LRP in Spring reflected this. In spite of this, the grassland hosted probable breeding Lapwing (juvenile seen in June I think), whilst Snipe and Jack Snipe were also seen. More waders were seen by others, such as a single Grey Plover, a few Golden Plover, a couple Curlew and a single Woodcock, but on the whole a poor year for them, as expected.

The grassland was pivotal in the attraction of a juvenile Marsh Harrier (overshadowed by the Hen Harrier that I missed), whilst regular hunting Kestrel, Peregrine and Hobby were noted. I was also lucky enough to tick Goshawk on August 27th.

On Lower Bittell I managed to see Mandarin, Great-White Egret, and the now famous Black-Throated Diver. Once the water began to fill on Upper, large numbers (for Bittell) of Teal, Wigeon and Shovelar were seen, whilst a respectable amount of Pintail were also seen. Upton's 4 Whoopers turned up for a day, however I missed them. Grey Phalarope was also seen, but yet again, missed by me (was always going to happen living at uni).

All in all, an enjoyable year (few months really) on the patch. Was very interesting to see how the habitat change altered both the abundance and type of species. In my opinion, it would have been good for the habitat to have been maintained, although it shall be nice to try and tick some more waders, gulls and terns in the new year (fingers crossed!).

If I'm honest, my patch year-list for 2018 is more of an August-December list due to missing the spring with exams and the unfavourable conditions until the return migration. This year did however mark my first consistent effort on the patch, and overall I managed to record 104 species. There have been more seen than this, but 104 is my personal total.

The new meadow-like habitat on Upper provided a productive passerine passage. July-September held a 'resident' group of 4-6 Yellow Wagtails, whilst one evening closer to 20 where seen going in to roost. An abundance of Reed Bunting (15+), Sedge Warbler (scarce in my experience, 20+ recorded on one day), and Whitethroat (30+) could be seen feeding at any one time, along with smaller numbers of Reed Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat.

Whinchat could be seen in respectable numbers (probably approaching double figures) from the first week of September, whilst 2 Stonechat wintered and 3 Tree Pipit were also present from late Aug to mid Sept. A single fem/juv Redstart stayed for a week, whilst an unusually high count of 6 spotted flycatchers were found from early to mid Sept. I personally saw 2 Wheatear this summer, however i'm aware more have been seen.

However, the new conditions meant no shoreline for waders, and my 3 Greenshank, single Dunlin and 2 LRP in Spring reflected this. In spite of this, the grassland hosted probable breeding Lapwing (juvenile seen in June I think), whilst Snipe and Jack Snipe were also seen. More waders were seen by others, such as a single Grey Plover, a few Golden Plover, a couple Curlew and a single Woodcock, but on the whole a poor year for them, as expected.

The grassland was pivotal in the attraction of a juvenile Marsh Harrier (overshadowed by the Hen Harrier that I missed), whilst regular hunting Kestrel, Peregrine and Hobby were noted. I was also lucky enough to tick Goshawk on August 27th.

On Lower Bittell I managed to see Mandarin, Great-White Egret, and the now famous Black-Throated Diver. Once the water began to fill on Upper, large numbers (for Bittell) of Teal, Wigeon and Shovelar were seen, whilst a respectable amount of Pintail were also seen. Upton's 4 Whoopers turned up for a day, however I missed them. Grey Phalarope was also seen, but yet again, missed by me (was always going to happen living at uni).

All in all, an enjoyable year (few months really) on the patch. Was very interesting to see how the habitat change altered both the abundance and type of species. In my opinion, it would have been good for the habitat to have been maintained, although it shall be nice to try and tick some more waders, gulls and terns in the new year (fingers crossed!).

Great write up and fantastic total for the time you could drop in.....Happy New Year.

Went around both reservoirs today and managed 36 species overall.

Highlights were the Brent Goose as well as a single Barnacle Goose in amongst the Greylag and Canada Goose flock grazing in the fields. Also a Peregrine hunted in the area around Upper Bittell Reservoir.

Chris

Forgot to mention the 2 Wryneck Josh.Don't be intimidated.:t:

Spent an hour this afternoon trawling though the geese on Upper Bittell, trying to find the single Brent and Pink-foot reported on Friday. Large mixed flock, feeding amongst the vegetation opposite the northern end of the Sailing Club, so some way from the dam, and the vegetation is taller than the geese, so not an easy task and I didn't find either. Just Greylags and Canadas.

The fields beyond the pools on the drive down to the Sailing Club were busy with 20+ Fieldfare and 30+ Redwing. Large roaming flock of Goldfinches too, 30+ birds, but I didn't pick up anything else amongst them.
Sparrowhawk around the Sailing Club.

Good numbers of Shoveler, Teal and Wigeon on Upper. Markedly less large gulls than last time I visited.

Spent an hour this afternoon trawling though the geese on Upper Bittell, trying to find the single Brent and Pink-foot reported on Friday. Large mixed flock, feeding amongst the vegetation opposite the northern end of the Sailing Club, so some way from the dam, and the vegetation is taller than the geese, so not an easy task and I didn't find either. Just Greylags and Canadas.

The fields beyond the pools on the drive down to the Sailing Club were busy with 20+ Fieldfare and 30+ Redwing. Large roaming flock of Goldfinches too, 30+ birds, but I didn't pick up anything else amongst them.

Good numbers of Shoveler, Teal and Wigeon on Upper. Markedly less large gulls than last time I visited.

When I saw the Geese last week they were in the field behind the pools...

Hi Rob, both birds still present yesterday. Brent can be difficult as its so small compared to the rest of the Geese, so is easily hidden, especially in the long grass. The Pink-Foot often disappears with the Greylags into the fields behind the Res, so may explain why you missed it. It might be worth checking late afternoon when they all come onto the water.

Thanks Keith - I went around the back at one point to see if I could find a better viewpoint. No geese in the fields.

Josh - thanks for the suggestions. I was at Upper for nearly 2 hours, from the bright mid-afternoon sunshine to the very cloudy gloom which descended as it got dark. Unfortunately there were never more than about 30 geese on the water at any one time, obviously good feeding amongst that long grass.

Hopefully they'll stick around until next weekend.

Mill Shrub being drained and totally frozen but lots of Herons and a Little Egret trying to find some open water.
The Egret tried down in the canal at the side a few times and eventually flew over to Lower where a small area of open water beckoned but when I left it was still flying around the edges.

Attachments

• _MG_6084.jpg
    _MG_6084.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 17
  • _MG_6029 (2).jpg
    _MG_6029 (2).jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nice to see 3 Common Gulls on the ice this morning on Upper, a species that is far from common here. Also the 2 usual YLG, good numbers of wildfowl including over 30 Pochard, and a fly through Peregrine. The female Pintail found itself a small section of open water on Lower, whilst a Green Sandpiper at the northern end of Mill Shrub was my first in over a year, considering last years conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back