• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (11 Viewers)

Thats what these threads are all about....getting spotters to the birds.....I got the tip off from Wheaterlp on here...thanks Mike.

Keith :t:

Forgot to mention some other birds on Sunday....GSW drumming around stream next to Lower....a couple of Buzzards .....Green Woody "laughing" by canal bridge at end of Lower. Tufties mainly on Mill Shrub and usual BHG's at end of Lower by canal.

Monday 25th.....

Hearsay "spots"...two locals at Lower were reporting a Male to go with the female Goldeneye as well as the Male Smew still present.

Also asked me if I have heard of/seen the RED KITE.....when I asked where they said over the Blues training ground at Wast Hills.
I hadn't - but live just down the road- hope its still around in the morning,but won't hold my breath.
Keith

Lower Bittell

Called in on the way back from Upton Warren and Grimley late this afternoon to pick up the Smew from the causeway. It was distant, toward the far shore.

Brian J

Well spotted Brian...he is really tiny on that back shore....was there a lot around lunchtime as well.

When I did my daily visit (on way to work) some locals were there as well as another couple of visitors......it's been busy since old Smewy has been there.
Everyone left around 12.45ish and I was hoping the Smew would think it was safe to come nearer - but wisely he did not.
Wisely because while I was watching the Grebes come closer then out into the middle again something caught my eye coming out of the scrubby reeds on teh left....it was leaving a huge wash and I thought "whats that duck doing" as it was 1/2 submerged....camera came up and GOD it was one of THEM- a MINK.
It was coming towards the concrete sluice so I ran towards there to get these pics.
The amazing thing that I saw next was straight out of the Penguin prog on BBC this week where the different species helped to see of a large seabird from having the young penguins...this time it was the 2 Grebes ...2 Coot and 2 Canada geese had come from nowhere and were seeing the Mink was out of the way with the Coot making a hell of a row.The Mink which had veered off when it saw me had gone into the reeds and must have done something because the Grebe suddenly flew off rapidly followed by the Coot till they got a safe distance away.
Not the easiest place to get pics as all the temporary wire mesh is STILL in place from the non-existent road repair work.

The day before I thought one of the pair of Grebe were going to do the "dance" as they came close and then dived together for ages....one came up way off into the middle and then swan toward the bend on the left...the other was still under but then came up eventually (pic 1) before immediately calling and lying flat on the water(pic 2) and calling again but (she)was gone by now.
I just hope one of the maybe 3 pair of Grebe perfore shortly and in a nice place in the light and near to me....lol

1 and 2...grebe looking for his wife.
3 and 4 MINK
5 Grebe watching Mink

Attachments

• Canon 68 012.jpg LOW.jpg
    Canon 68 012.jpg LOW.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Canon 68 010.jpg LOW.jpg
    Canon 68 010.jpg LOW.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Mink 1.jpg
    Mink 1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Mink 2.jpg
    Mink 2.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Canon 68 032.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 68 032.jpg low.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 167
Saturday 2nd March....

The Smew was joined by 1/2 a dozen Goosander today.
One pair of Grebe collecting sticks/weed and have a nest right in middle of Lower.
Me and Buzzard watching each other...he was on left side of Mill shrub in tall tree.
Flock of eventually 40-50 Siskin still finding food in tree tops and GSWoody flew over then drumming by stream on left of Lower.

On the UPTON site it said there was an Avocet at Bittell today...sods law its the only day I have not attended.
Does anyone know if it was on Upper or Lower and any other details please.

On the UPTON site it said there was an Avocet at Bittell today...sods law its the only day I have not attended.
Does anyone know if it was on Upper or Lower and any other details please.

Hate putting the downer on this, but if lower Bittell, then Shelduck?

If confirmed, im there later!B :)

Hate putting the downer on this, but if lower Bittell, then Shelduck?

If confirmed, im there later!B :)

The Avocet was a confirmed sighting at Lower Bittell yesterday by a reliable birder. The great thing about this species is it does not need a shoreline to feed. They will quite happily swim in deeper water.

There are now 10 Avocets at Upton Warren this morning so may be the Bittell bird has returned there.

Brian

Despite the rain I just HAD to have a look at Lower - even though it was 5pm.
All I got was WET....;)
So hard to make out anything at a distance so no idea if any of the recent spots were still about - could not even tell if the Smew was here.

Here's some snaps of him from Wednesday at 5.30pm.....again crap light and far off.

Attachments

• S1_filtered.jpg
    S1_filtered.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 87
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 81
  • S3_filtered.jpg
    S3_filtered.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 72
  • S4_filtered.jpg
    S4_filtered.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 86
Despite the rain I just HAD to have a look at Lower - even though it was 5pm.
All I got was WET....;)
So hard to make out anything at a distance so no idea if any of the recent spots were still about - could not even tell if the Smew was here.

Here's some snaps of him from Wednesday at 5.30pm.....again crap light and far off.

Nice!:t:

Was the Avocet still there?

Weekend of 9-10th ...lots of very cold winds and snow but the Smew put on a couple of flypasts from Lower to Mill Shrub and back again...no good for photos though.
Monday 11th...even windier and colder...just popped in for 10 mins ...Smew hiding but seen earlier in day.A few Tits and Siskin in trees around stream.

A few of a Gull from a previous visit.

Attachments

• Canon 49 050.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 49 050.jpg low.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Canon 49 049.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 49 049.jpg low.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Canon 49 054.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 49 054.jpg low.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 66
Popped over to Bittell on Sunday and found the smew on Shrub Mill Pool, albeit briefly. Never came close enough for anything other than a record shot, and soon returned to the far end of the other pool when, perhaps like me, it got fed up of the amount of traffic on that road.

Record shot below.

Attachments

• IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 97
Nice one Pete....he must have been going from Lower to Shrub Mill and back all day - too far away and masked by the snow for me -one day I will nab him real close....dream on....lol

Thursday 14th....

Lower and Shrub Mill were almost totally frozen so not a lot about...Hopefully the Smew was just out of site either on right or left at far end and not gone off before I get a close up !!!

Wish he would come as close as this Tufted from Wednesday.
A couple of Cormorant were fishing on Shrub mill as well.

Attachments

• Canon 70 031 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 70 031 A.jpg low.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Canon 70 041.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 70 041.jpg low.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 68
Lower was like the Artic yesterday and the North Sea today-with white horses and long trails of foam along the length.A few brave Tufteds and Gulls bobbing up and down....I was being blown away as I tried to see owt on far bank...not a lot to see though.

Shrub Mill was sheltered in near 1/2 and a dozen Tufted were sleeping in the comparative calm.
Not a day to linger but had to get off to work anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back