• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black headed great tit?? (1 Viewer)

Rosie

Hi All,

Every day my bird table is visited by a bird that's the size and shape of a great tit, but it has an entirely black head and shoulders - the top of its chest is also black / very dark. It has a black, 'pointy' beak. A black band (1 cm wide) runs from the chest to the tail. The back, tail and wings are a non distinct blurry dark greeny,bluey, grey (sounds v.dazzling, but isn't!). It comes to the bird feeder to eat sunflower seeds - and I can't be sure but I think it swallows them whole - it doesn't appear to fly into the tree to peck them as a tit would normally.

Any ideas?? I've looked through numerous books to no avail, and all I can think is that it is a 'freak' (in the nicest sense) great tit - but that seems unlikely.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - never has a small bird caused such frustration!

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Welcome to Bird Forum. I think I'd agree with you that this is a funny Great Tit - I've never seen one as you describe myself but can't think of anything else it could be (unless it's some sort of escaped cagebird). Do you have any pictures?

Hi, I'd never thought of the escaped bird option, but I don't think it is - it 'looks' wild - if that's possible... I haven't got a pic' but might have to try to get one. I've tried to believe that it is an 'odd' great tit, but at the same time - and I'm not sure if it's my imagination - 'his' behaviour isn't typical great tit - he's more alert and perky looking (not a very technical description I appreciate)... and I would say he's slightly more streamlined than your average great tit...not to mention the black head etc

Being on the other side of the pond I can't possibly help you with your I.D. Rosie but I sure would like to welcome you to the Bird Forum on behalf of the Moderators and Admin.

See if you can beg, borrow or steal a camera to take a pic of your mystery bird. There are plenty of members here that are wonderful at IDing the mysteries.

Hi Rosie.
Welcome to BF, when your bird is in flight is there
any sign of white sides on the outer feathers of the tail? I still think your bird is a great-tit, but with
colouration that somtimes does go wrong. there can
be all kinds of colour mutations as nature keeps showing us do try to get a pic good luck.
bert.

bert said:
Hi Rosie.
Welcome to BF, when your bird is in flight is there
any sign of white sides on the outer feathers of the tail? I still think your bird is a great-tit, but with
colouration that somtimes does go wrong. there can
be all kinds of colour mutations as nature keeps showing us do try to get a pic good luck.
bert.

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your reply and for all the kind welcomes to the board.

No, there doesn't appear to be any white on him. Considering that effectively the whole of the 'front end' of the bird is black, could that realistically be accounted for by a colour mutation? although it seems the only option given that no-one appears to have any other suggestions for what it could be... I will try to get a photo of him which will no doubt be easier said than done! the bird feeder is attached to my flat's (2nd floor) living room window and the slightest movement in the house causes any visiting bird to leap off the feeder - but I'll give it a go...any tips? (there's nowhere else to put the feeder).

I seem to recall a spate of Black Headed/aberrant Great Tits in the surrey area a few years ago. There was a picture in Birdwatch magazine. Can anyone else recall this?

Hi Periwinkle.
welcome to BF, be warned it gets very addictive.
cant recall the picture you mention, but if you still
have any info on the story as such Iwould be interested on any you could find.
regards bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back