• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit bully? (1 Viewer)

Mis

A whitethroat has been singing from a hawthorn bush next to my house recently and today I thought I'd try to get a photo of it.
I was clicking away at 3 frames per second, hoping one picture would be sharp, when a bluetit hurtled into shot and stole the whitethroat's perch!

I wonder how long a whitethroat lives? This is the third year that one has returned to use that perch. It sings for a while from there and then flies to a holly tree at the far end of the garden and repeats the performance, before moving to another hawthorn in the field next to the house. It must have clocked up a few airmiles by now if it is the same one every year.

Attachments

• whitethroat.jpg
    whitethroat.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 35
Great capture Mis! I have no idea how long Whitethroats live for, but I would imagine four or five years?

Great set of photo's Mis, 2 years is the average, which is 1 less then the BT? BTO have a record of 6yrs though, so fingers crossed yours will have a few more years yet.

Hi Mis.
What a cracking set of pics. I too have a feisty Blue Tit in the garden. ' Mine ' is guarding the nest: maybe ' yours ' is nesting close by.

All the best.
Baz.

A great set of photos Mis:clap: and lucky you to have the Whitethroat returning to you!:t:

Thanks for posting a lovely photo of a great little bird that we do not see often posted on Exbeeb's!o:)

Hi Mis,
You are lucky! what a treat!
The collection of pics are gorgeous, including the gatecrasher! lol!
Lovely Mis, well done

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back