• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broadband - Does It Work? (1 Viewer)

I doubt that I shall ever have the opportunity to have broadband here in the depths of rural Norfolk!!! Still, can't have good birds and broadband :)

Ian.

Kevin, thats a tricky one because there are 2 issues that may stop you getting it. The 1st is that the exchange is not "enabled", but you can check this out by using a post code of a nearby address to the area you are considering. The second is that you may be too far from the exchange for the current technology to work, unfortunately there is no way round that one.

Broadband
i could not be without it.
i tried the normal 56k on a mates computer & it was like standing still. D/L music & films it really comes into its own & you just couldnt do it with 56k, it would take you days, so yes it is worth getting. saying all that, if you are going onto a slow web site then you will run at their speed but look at it this way.
if you like music & buy one CD every 2 months then it is worth getting you will save. not that anyone would want to rob the poor recording companies by pirating but a good place to look because i know we are all legal & above board here in the UK. try this site http://www.kazaalite.tk/
have fun, i am just waiting for someone to put bird identification sounds online :)

Peter

A cautionary note re Telewest/Blueyonder...

In November 2002 they tried to sell me their product and, as the TV picture here in high-rise office land is pretty cruddy (you end up leaning at 45 degrees as the turning [metal not feathered] cranes move the picture across the tube - keep expecting to pick it up off the floor!), I thought buying from a one-stop-shop (phone, TV and Internet) for much cheaper than buying separately made sense. Since then, rather than them trying to sell me something, I've been trying to buy it - to no avail. I've spoken to lots of nice Telewest people and even had visits from some - but am still as ever I was, losing business cos I'm on-line and tying up the phone, and developing double vision watching those 60 men chase those two funny-shaped balls.

I've read conflicting reports of ZoneAlarm but use the free version myself and rarely have problems.

Another freeware/shareware site you might be interested in is www.webattack.com

Good luck.

Wizard and Lez thanks very much indeed for that. Really good info and excellent sites. I'm going to go with AOL as they're my ISP, and the modem should arrive any day now so I'll let you know how I get on!

I am having NTL Broadband installed tomorrow pm. I'll let you know how I get on - assuming I can access the internet!

Robin
A friend of mine advised me that, before you let the engineer go, make sure your e-mail account(s) are working as well as the internet.
Best of luck -
Lez

Lez: Thanks for the advice - I would certainly want to make sure that everything was working before I'll let him go. I haven't been working in IT for 20 odd years without knowing that engineers will try to get away with murder.

My NTL BB is up and running - after a few hitches (administrative not technical). The Latest Pictures forum now loads virtually instantly - it's great. No longer the world wide wait for me.

For anyone who is thinking of getting Broadband one serious piece of advice. GET A FIREWALL. Since my NTL installation (Wednesday) has been up and running I have been getting about half a dozen attempts to access my computer every day, which Norton Firewall has blocked. I paid £50 for mine and includes the latest Antivirus as well. There are cheaper ones, so there is no excuse - just do it.

I started this thread on February 21st, and just a few minutes ago I finally installed Broadband! First impressions: very quick.

Peter: Just seen your post - "goto first unread post" takes no time at all now! I think you have gone with BT or an ISP through BT Broadband (I didn't have the choice) . I am sure those "waiting to take the plunge" will be interested in our different experiences.

I have gone with AOL, as they are my ISP and were prepared to give me a free modem (although it is a BT modem!). It meant I could remove my second telephone line, so the overall cost for having three lines (computer, telephone and fax) plus a much faster internet connection is only around £4 a month more than I was paying before! Not bad value, I reckon.

Hi Peter,

We've had broadband for about 6 months now - absolutely wonderful. Find surfing the net (and shopping) much easier and faster. I use eTrust anti-virus and firewall as the virus checker (which was initially downloaded as it was free) has found and killed viruses that both Norton and McAfee have missed.

Thanks for that Kiki. I agree with you - Broadband is great! So much faster and more reliable. I have built in protection with Windows XP so I just switched it on. So far, so good!

Oh Pter,
perish the thought of going back to a modem, we have had braodband for a couple of years & had to use a moden for a day or two when we had a network hickup and it was like watching the kettle boil. we are conected 27/7/365 and can still use the phone so am i pleased with it.... you bet i am. go for it & you will never look back. try NTL they were doing deals, they all are really but look around.

good luck

I was continually advised that I may be too far away from the exchange to get broadband but on pushing it a bit further, BT said that when I had a second line installed it was installed using "dect". Apparently you need to tell your broadband supplier this then everything is OK
H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back