• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

They were on the Warrens Hall Farm side of the patch. Cross-over the Dudley Road threw the stile; walk past the pool keeping it on your left you will come to two gates on your left, view from the second one. Let me know how you get on |=)|,
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks for the information Yamyam, Wheatears had gone or were hiding, still worth a look though saw c20 Redwings a Sparrowhawk and a Goldcrest as you said earlier lots of Blackbirds and not one Ousel amongst them. Also popped over to Brantley Lane nr Upper Ludstone to see four Full summer plumage Golden Plover, they were on the second field south from the north end of the road, opposite the field full of sheep also an LRP in the small pool in the first field.

On the patch for 07:00 to beat the Dog Walkers three & half hours on site gave me 38 species with 3 patch ticks first being a Osprey over head I only got on to this bird because two Lesser Black Backs where giving it a hard time and kicking up a bit of a din. Two hours later my second patch tick was a Ring Ouzel (male) closely followed by my third a Stonechat (female) all 3 birds where also new for site. Also of note Wheatear x1 (male), Green Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk, Redwing x50, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush x4, Fieldfare x4, Raven x1, Meadow Pipit x3, Goldcrest and Blackbird c50 + birds.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies it was shear luck I got the bird if it hadn’t been for the vocal Lesser Black Backs I would have missed it. Just goes to show if you hear gulls having ago always check it out you never know |=)| .
Good Birding YAMYAM

Just a quickie there is a male Ring Ouzel showing well on the Warrens Hall Farm side of the patch. park at the Car park on the Dudley Road. Cross-over the Dudley Road threw the stile; walk past the pool keeping it on your left you will come to two gates on your left the bird was in the paddock on the right near bush’s in centre of the field it was still there at 09:30 also male Goshawk in the area seen twice between 07:30 & 09:00 full update later.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Two & half hours on the patch gave me 43 species, two being patch ticks first being a Goshawk (83) a male bird seen twice between 7:30 & 9:00 last seen at the top end of the patch near the Golf course my second patch tick was a fly thru Swallow (84). Other birds of note was a very showy male Ring Ouzel, Chiffchaff x2 my first calling birds of the year, Buzzard x2, Green Woodpecker x3, Great Spotted Woodpecker x2, Pheasant x1 male, Lesser Black Back x10, Raven x1, Redwing x5 & a male Yellowhammer.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks YamYam, Me, my uncle ( Paul Legge ) and the Wife managed to pick it up about about 1:30pm. Uncle picked it up in the opposite field but it flew off over the hedge into the adjacent field with a load a starling before I could get on it. Waited a while for it to show but sparrowhawk flew threw making all the birds disappear from sight. The Ouzel must have decide to return to the bush's you mentioned in the paddock as it was again picked up by uncle. What a beauty indeed and showing great.

Also had at least 3 meadow pipits in the opposite field.

Yesterday me and my uncle walked up past the same field and had a scan but did not manage to pick it up. We did however flush a WOODCOCK near the golf course further up the hill. Is this still part of your patch ?

Nice little Patch YamYam, will definitely visit again soon.

Hi Glen
I don’t include the Golf course but all the fields and area up too its perimeter I include on the patch. I’m glad you managed to get on to the Ring Ouzel. When and if I find anything that might be of interest to any one who follows this thread I will try and post the information as soon as possible.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Four hours on site today gave me 41 species and (a good soaking), five being patch ticks and two of these being new for the site, The first was a smart looking Yellow Legged Gull (85)(111) on the Football pitches in the company of 19 Lesser Black Backed Gulls and 2 Black Headed Gulls, next was a male Redstart (86)(112) near to the Stables. The last three was all seen virtually with in minutes of each other Whitethroat (87), Willow Warbler (88) x 6 & Blackcap (89) x2. Also of note Chiffchaff x6, Bullfinch x2, Green Woodpecker, Song Thrushx6, Pheasant x1 male and my first Little Grebe for several weeks.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Four and a half hours on the patch gave me 45 species 2 being patch ticks and one of these being new for the sight. First was a Garden Warbler (90) the second was a Wood Warbler (91)(113) on the Warrens Hall farm side of the patch. The bird was only seen briefly and lost to view I spent half hour trying to pin the bird down but no avail it was not seen again |=(| , Also of note Willow Warbler 20+, Chiffchaff 20+, Whitethroat x3, Blackcap x4 male, Wheatear x1female, Raven x2, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel x1male, Redpoll x1, Bullfinch x2. Also worth a note Mallard with 11 young. My first butterfly: - Comma & Fox x3.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Three hours on the patch gave me 41 species 2 being patch ticks, First was Common Tern (92) Two birds flying over Warrens Hall, Second was a Cuckoo (93) seen in the area below the Golf Course. Also of note a 1st Summer Yellow Legged Gull on Swan Pool, Bullfinch x2 pair, Song Thrush x6, Swallow x1, (Hirindines very thin on the ground so far), Chiffchaff x9, Willow Warbler x7, Blackcap x2, Whitethroat x1, Lesser Black Back x14, Herring Gull x2, Goldcrest x1 (seen by Ben), and my first Rabbits on the patch x6.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Four hours on the patch gave me 37 species. Two being patch ticks and one new for the sight. First being a Grasshopper Warbler (94)(114) on the Warrens Hall Farm side of the patch and the Second was a Lesser Whitethroat (95) on the Bumble Hole side. Also seen Chiffchaff x10+, Willow Warbler x4, Whitethroat x2, Blackcap x3, Bullfinch x2, Green Woodpecker x1, Stock Dove x4, Buzzard x1, Song Thrush x4 and Lesser Black Back x19.
Good Birding YAMYAM

There is some fantastic habitat and early mornings there are not many people about the only down side is the lack off water birds & there is no suitable shoreline for waders but I can live with that I think. I can always pop in to sheepwash for my fix.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Two & half hours on site gave me 42 species Four being patch ticks 2 of these being new for the site, The first being a Sedge Warbler (96) in the same Bramble patch that held a Gropper on the 28th April, Second was a fly over Yellow Wagtail (97), Then the next two where both totally unexpected and where probably pushed down or moving in front off the rain, I was just heading towards Swan Pool when the sky went black and the hevens opened up so i made my way to the old Pump House to shelter when I heard the familiar flight call of Whimbrel(98)(115) I quickly scanned round and picked up 2 birds flying away from me towards Old Hill, Has the rain bated I carried on towards Swan Pool I was on a high to say the least when I again heard an other familiar call this time it was a Little Ringed Plover(99)(116) I connected with the bird has it flew round the pool looking for some where to land but with half a dozen people Fishing the bird would not settle I stood there watching the bird fly round for a short while. when it started getting higher and moved out again in the general direction of Old Hill I would of loved to have stayed on site all day but I had commitments with the other half and you no how it go’s.Also seen today Garden Warbler x1, Blackcap x8, Willow Warbler x3, Chifchaff x6, Buzzard x1, Goldcrest x1, Redpoll x1, Rook x1, Stock Dove x4, Swallow x2, Whitethroat x3, Raven x1, Bullfinch x2, House Sparrow x6 and Song Thrush x5. Still no Martins !!!.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back