• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a Smartphone for use in UK (5 Viewers)

I own a Windows phone so my advice is simple; do NOT get a Windows phone. Ant other platform will be better for any purpose known to man.

Andy

Hi Egret: That's probably the most honest review you can ever get.. someone saying not to buy the device they own!

Hi Phil: I saw "Black Country" too, when I first read it!

In terms of data storage, I'd recommend getting a phone with 16GB or more (or at least the potential to expand to that amount). 8GB might not be enough for storing a lot of sounds, field guides, maps etc but 16GB should be plenty. Keep in mind that a certain amount of the storage (maybe 3-4GB) will be taken up with the platform software etc, so 16GB is actually more than double the available storage of 8GB in most cases.

My phone (a Moto G) is 16GB and I have just over 8GB stored. I have a few CDs of bird sounds, plus around five field guides (including pictures and sounds), as well as detailed maps for a few countries installed. A CD shouldn't take up too much room (maybe 50- 100MB or so in most cases, I guess).

Thanks all for your help I have more or less made a short list and will buy in the next 2 days. i go abroad next week - is there any CD's I should order as I wait?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back