• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caloptilia sp (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lawson

I've had to have a few of these!
I caught this over the weekend in my garden in West Kent, I have found a decent match for it on ukmoths but it seems a little unlikely and would appreciate others views please.

Many thanks
Marcus

Attachments

• caloptilia.jpg
    caloptilia.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 69
Certainly looks like hauderi. Would be the first record for Kent according to the Checklist of Kent Lepidoptera (Ian Ferguson, April 2003)

One of my favourite groups of moths!

I also had a moth that appears to fit the bill for C. hauderi in East Kent on the 12th July.

However, I have been reliably informed that C. hauderi is about to be relegated from being a valid taxon to a junior synonym for C. stigmatella, as genitalic differences are apparently not reliable.

I was directed to the second photo at the link below:

http://www.hantsmoths.org.uk/species/0288.php

Regards

Dave

Attachments

• Caloptilia sp 12 07 10.jpg
    Caloptilia sp 12 07 10.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Many thanks Dave for the info, I'll send it to the recorder as hauderi and he can decide what to do with it!

Interesting to see the one on the Hants moth site, were you directed to it to highlight that others have been recorded elsewhere or are they saying that it is definitely a sub-sp?

Dear All

Just for further information, this is the subject of current research by some colleagues and will be the subject of a forthcoming paper on the subject (I think it is in press). Until then it's best to deal with it as per the British list and not to "jump the gun", as it were, on the details behind the research.

Nice little moth, too (which I have had in a couple of places recently).

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back