• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Grafham water 26 Sep; the odd hybrid duck still off Plummer; wouldn’t like to say what it is at this stage .....
Certainly doesn’t fit Baikal

Slightly bigger than Teal
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/50387218067/in/album-72157712463187667/

Tail end looks a bit Pintail like?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/50387217947/in/album-72157712463187667/

Also today one Great White Egret over lagoons, 20 Little Egrets in over the dam late pm and a Peregrine.

Six Dunlin flew through

Last edited:
Grafham water 26 Sep; the odd hybrid duck still off Plummer; wouldn’t like to say what it is at this stage .....
Certainly doesn’t fit Baikal

I've not even been to look for it yet (I was at Sheringham all day yesterday), but it is worth noting that lots of hybrid wildfowl combinations can show a Baikal-type head pattern (I have seen several involving the genus Anus especially). There was a good paper in BB about this a few years ago. I'll try to find it.....

Grafham Water; A good day, with lots of birds passing over and in the bushes. It had the feeling that it was building to something good; Tree Pipit over south, Rock Pipit over west, Stonechat below dam.... More Robins than usual, a possible Redstart briefly, Skylarks, Mipits, Siskin all moving through.

I was just having one last scan at Hill Farm when a single call from behind me alerted me to this beauty!

https://twitter.com/grafhamwbirder/status/1310554089038786565?s=21

The first record for Grafham Water. It showed well for 45 mins, but then disappeared.

Last edited:
Grafham Water 3 Oct ; single Great White Egret moving about during the day, 3 Common Scoter, 2+1 Common Sandpiper, single Dunlin. Several Yellow-legged Gulls around the dam.

Grafham water : Sunday 4 Oct ; Great White Egret seen in various location as the water is getting lower. 3 Dunlin and Common Sandpiper on the dam. Car parks close at 18:00 now....

Forgot the two new Common Scoters off Mander Carpark different to previous day.

Last edited:
Grafham water 14 Oct am; 1 Great Northern Diver, the original summer plumage bird only off north shore still.

Seen on and off through the day but always off the north shore; at dusk it moved out to the middle as previous night to join the gull roost. The winter adult appears to have departed.

Many Yellow-legged Gulls around, some very approachable on the dam.

Last edited:
Grafham Water 21 Oct; Mediterranean Gull (Ad) , different bird to yesterday, off Mander Car park in the roost. Also the hybrid drake 'Tufted/Scaup' off Church Hill road with Tufted ducks.

Grafham Water 22 Oct; Great White Egret moving about but chased off by Grey Herons in Dudney Creek. A single Goosander female spent a few minutes on the water late morning before flying east towards the river.

Grafham Water 23 Oct; two 1st winter Mediterranean Gulls in Valley Creek and a Caspian Gull 1st winter moving about the western bays. Watched a Great Black-back kill and eat a Moorhen in the open water off Littless hide - rather gruesome!

Grafham Water 24 Oct; Rock Pipit on the dam early morning. 3 Red Crested Pochards in Valley Creek in the afternoon. Maybe the same Great Black-backed Gull that killed the Moorhen yesterday killed and ate a Coot in the middle of the reservoir; not sure why the coot was alone in the centre to begin with away from the safety of the flocks, possibly a recent arrival?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back