• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (8 Viewers)

Amble Marshes this morning, birds included 1 adult Pectoral Sandpiper, Shoveler pair, brood of Shelduck, 4 Gadwall, 2 Sand Martin, 20+ Swift.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
10 Puffin and 60+ Manx Shearwater around Rumps Point early morning.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3965.JPG
    IMG_3965.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 24
Pectoral Sandpiper showing again briefly this evening at Amble Marshes, plus Green Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, 9 Stock Dove (2+ juv) 5 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 1 Teal and Peregrine Falcon.

Rosennanon Downs this morning, birds included 3+ Cuckoo, males still calling and at least 1 female.
Butterflies included 2+ Green Hairstreak (photo)
Fungi one early,unidentified (photo)
St Breock Downs 1 Cuckoo, 1 male Continental Stonechat still.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4059.JPG
    IMG_4059.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
Naturally occurring or artificially reared and introduced, melanistic Chinese Ring Necked Pheasant at Amble Marshes yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 37
Dogs at Walmsley Sanctuary.

This evening at Amble Marshes, the usual carnage from the 'usual' suspects, no collar on the black Lab! I notice that even from a distance some of the breeding Duck adopt this position in a bid to avoid detection (Mallard photo) plus the males tend to stay with the females and ducklings.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4210.JPG
    IMG_4210.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 43
This evening at Amble Marshes, the usual carnage from the 'usual' suspects, no collar on the black Lab! I notice that even from a distance some of the breeding Duck adopt this position in a bid to avoid detection (Mallard photo) plus the males tend to stay with the females and ducklings.

We should never under estimate the amount of damage that can be done to vulnerable nesting Wildfowl, given frequent (or annual) sustained and systematic attacks by packs of trained gun dogs. These dogs have been trained to sniff out dead or maimed birds that have been shot at by people just for fun. I don’t blame the dogs, they just want to get on and do what they have been trained to do, even if it’s the peak Wildfowl breeding season. When I observe a Fox hunting through the reserve I never see the same blind panic spread right across the marshes as is shown by the birds while the dogs are hunting, a Fox is usually pointed out by the ducks and the disturbance confined to a small area around the Fox, not so with a dog pack attack, the dogs are usually barking loudly and will happily spend hours quartering the water’s edge, panic spreads quickly over the whole area, with avian predators flying in to pick off displaced eggs or ducklings in the dogs destructive wake, it must be a very successful, well rehearsed predator strategy, I have noted up to 6 Grey Heron, 2 Buzzard and 12 Carrion Crow following the dogs. I can honestly say I have never witnessed such an attraction to a Fox hunting, at most a lurking Buzzard or a single opportunist Grey Heron.
Colin

Male Cuckoo still calling at Rosennanon Downs this afternoon.
Broad-bodied and Four-spotted Chaser Plus Black-tailed Skimmer Dragonflies, Azure and Large Red Damselflies.
Green-veined White and Green Hairstreak Butterflies.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4346.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 24
15+ Puffins around Moul`s Island this lunch time. One was seen carrying a bill full of fish. Short video here. Also, large numbers of Guillemots, a few Razorbills. 30+ Common Dolphins further out to sea with large numbers of Manx Shearwaters feeding among them and a few Gannets.

Odd Warbler songs.

Walking around Treraven Farm early this morning and listening to the songs of Blackcap, Blackbird, Song Thrush and Wren I noted just a single Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, both were clearly visible and both singing, although neither sounded anything like a typical Chiff or Willow! You have to wonder, with so few of their species locally around this spring, if these late singers are so desperate to attract a mate that they deliberately modifying their songs to optimize breeding opportunities, perhaps even with the nearest species?
Colin
(Blackcap this morning image)

Attachments

• IMG_4399.jpg
    IMG_4399.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 26
Amble Marshes this evening, Gadwall have hatched at least 10 ducklings again! The female doing her best to keep them away from the usual problem farm dogs, back again this evening. Plus 1 Wood and 4 Green Sandpiper.

Attachments

• IMG_5246.JPG
    IMG_5246.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5243.JPG
    IMG_5243.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5219.JPG
    IMG_5219.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5211.JPG
    IMG_5211.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 40
Distinctive Eagle-like Buzzard.

Looking a little closer at this distinctive Buzzard, currently around Amble Marshes and the Camel Estuary; I don’t think I have ever seen a more Aquila like buteo! Common and Long-legged are polymorphic and both displays a huge range of plumage variation, the individual on the Camel is a striking pale morph. Just concentrating on structure and jizz and forgetting complex colour plumage, this individuals structure stands out, the eagle-like expression, thick tarsi and strong talons, very long wings (image shows this bird behind a 10 ft Gate!) and fairly long legs, yes there are typical Common Buzzard features, an amber-brown iris for one, typical of juvenile Common Buzzard, although I’m not sure, I would age the Amble bird as a 3cy. The other possibly significant thing to mention is the lack of any noticeable moult, in contrast to most of the local Common Buzzards at this time. Unfortunately this individual falls in to the category of “No chance of a tick, No interest” although speaking for me these puzzles hold the most interest, therefore this individual goes down in my book, for now as a good 'rufinus+ buteo' hybrid, this time not just an odd Buzzard.

Attachments

• IMG_5197.JPG
    IMG_5197.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5201.JPG
    IMG_5201.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Amble Marshes this morning, Pale Buzzard still, although distant, Gadwall ducklings now down to 8 (photo) 1 Teal, 3 Green Sandpiper, 1 Lapwing, 1 Ringed Plover and 2 jay.

Attachments

• IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 21
31 Puffin past Rumps Point in one hour this morning, I feel sure that not all were local breeding birds.

Attachments

• IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5450.JPG
    IMG_5450.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 33
Several Little Egret sitting around in the tops of large oak tree's Coronation Park yesterday and Bishop's Wood the day before. Future nesting sites perhaps?
(19 Little Egret on the last Webs count for Walmsley)
A Dipper this afternoon in the stream at Polmorla.

Attachments

• IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back