• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (8 Viewers)

Amble Marshes Question

We are staying in Egloshayle at the moment and might have a couple of spare hours this afternoon, is a visit to the public hide at Amble worth it. I would pay the fiver for the 'private' hide but don't know if we will have time (as I'm working) to sort this out.

Also is the walk down towards the Estuary manageable at the moment?

Thanks in advance
Tom

We are staying in Egloshayle at the moment and might have a couple of spare hours this afternoon, is a visit to the public hide at Amble worth it. I would pay the fiver for the 'private' hide but don't know if we will have time (as I'm working) to sort this out.

Also is the walk down towards the Estuary manageable at the moment?

Thanks in advance
Tom

The best thing to do in the short term is, visit the small open to all hide then check the tower hide to see if it's unlocked and in use. The walk towards the Estuary is manageable, although you would get very wet walking through the tall vegetation.
Colin

Last edited:
Thanks

The best thing to do in the short term is, visit the small open to all hide then check the tower hide to see if it's unlocked and in use. The walk towards the Estuary is manageable, although you would get very wet walking through the tall vegetation.
Colin

Thanks Colin. Is there a hide down there overlooking the estuary? I thought I read that somewhere, but now can't seem to find where I read it!
Cheers
Tom

Thanks Colin. Is there a hide down there overlooking the estuary? I thought I read that somewhere, but now can't seem to find where I read it!
Cheers
Tom[/QUOTE
Yes Tom, the hide does overlook the Estuary, although it is best just before or just after high tide.
Colin

I checked this out today and they are not from the usual place at the farm as I note the labrador is wearing a collar and the farm dogs don't. This afternoon I watched a guy at the holiday home at the renovated barn overlooking the reserve and he was exercising his dogs on the lawn and 2 of them were the ones in the photo.
I'll take a walk up there and speak to him tomorrow if he's there.

Adrian.

Two Dogs back all over Walmsley 'Sanctuary' early morning, with the usual sickening devastation for this time of year.

I checked this out today and they are not from the usual place at the farm as I note the labrador is wearing a collar and the farm dogs don't. This afternoon I watched a guy at the holiday home at the renovated barn overlooking the reserve and he was exercising his dogs on the lawn and 2 of them were the ones in the photo.
I'll take a walk up there and speak to him tomorrow if he's there.

Adrian.

Many Thanks Adrian! At least it's some consolation to find out they might be gone soon. It always seems to be at the most vulnerable time for breeding birds.
Colin

Shelduck brood at Egloshayle

A pair of Shelduck at Egloshayle with 5 ducklings this morning. Probably from Clapper pools area and were in the main river with their parents.

Attachments

• Shelduck_P5301752.jpg
    Shelduck_P5301752.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 18
Rosennanon Downs today, birds included 3 male Cuckoo, 1 Hobby, 1 immature female Peregrine Falcon (watched this evening power up to a great height to kill an adult rook from below!) Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Grasshopper Warbler and unidentified large Pipit (photo)

Attachments

• IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 43
A Common Buzzard recalling a Steppe Buzzard B.b. vulpinus, over Wadebridge late afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 35
Rosennanon Downs today, birds included 3 male Cuckoo, 1 Hobby, 1 immature female Peregrine Falcon (watched this evening power up to a great height to kill an adult rook from below!) Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Grasshopper Warbler and unidentified large Pipit (photo)

I felt reluctant to assign the Pipit, in part due to absence of calls, the time of year and despite the browner base colour above a virtually unstreaked breast.

Last edited:
Cygnets on the River Camel

Just a follow up to Colin's swan murder on the Camel!

It's refreshing to see the new cygnets on the river. I've been out kayaking a bit lately and in addition to the 4 cygnets in town at Wadebridge there were a new brood between Target pool and Polbrock with 3 this evening, (one is hiding behind the parent in the photo).
There are also 3 more cygnets between Trewornan bridge and Walmsley.
I'm sure there will be more but 10 isn't bad for starters.

Attachments

• swan-and-cygnets.jpg
    swan-and-cygnets.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 15
Long-winged Common Buzzard.

Hobby, Peregrine, Sparrow Hawk, Buzzard and 20+ Swift all over Wadebridge around mid-day. It’s interesting how some Common Buzzards showing inner wing moult can appear extremely long-winged, this immature today (images)

Attachments

• IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 18
Treraven Farm this morning, birds included Green Woodpecker, singing Blackcap and Garden Warbler, no sight or sound of any Willow Warbler.
Sharp-angled Carpet Moth.

Attachments

• IMG_3733.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 16
I was thinking there was something dodgy about all those Red Kite reports ...

;)

I wouldn't have thought they could be confused with Kite! I was thinking more along the lines of a vagrant LLB, given the extreme plumage variation exhibited by the local Common Buzzard population. A possible combination of 'rufinus' type plumage (sometimes observed) and long wings would prove tricky. (See “A Long-Legged Buzzard in Somerset” Birding World 26 (4) 174-175)

Male Continental Stonechat.

A male Continental Stonechat (not on the official British list) holding territory at St Breok Downs this morning; Showing extensive white neck sides, a restricted bright orange patch on breast, fine dark shaft streaks on rear flanks and sooty underwing coverts.
The male still paired with female and attending 4 full grown, at St Breock Downs this morning (photo of under-wing coverts)

Attachments

• IMG_3909.JPG
    IMG_3909.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back