• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 450D + Skywatcher 80ED (1 Viewer)

Wow!

I have just read this whole thread and my head is spinning a little. I'm new to birding and to photography, but totally fascinated by both. I've been reading everything I can find on the net and eventually ended up in this thread

I was very fortunate to receive a Nikon D5000 for Christmas, but have not yet bought a scope. I must admit after seeing the photos by Paul and DiegoBE I really don't want to try any scope other than the SW 80ED now

It looks very complicated setting it all up - could you kindly give me a summary of what I absolutely need to start making some good bird shots with my camera and the Skywatcher? (There's a German shop that is still selling the gold version for just over £300, but I'm a little confused about the other pieces of gear I need)

I've bookmarked this thread so I can keep coming back as I understand more

Thanks

Marco

Howdy Marco!

Well you've come to right the place, obviously ;)

Paul C is the chap who will best answer you, as he's experimented with just about all there is to experiment with.

My only advice would be start a complete new thread with your question, otherwise your question is now a thread within a thread, and is virtually hidden to others who would be seeing the title of 450D + Skywatcher.

If you were to start a new " Need help with Skywatcher parts " or something similar, everyone looking in the Astroscoping forum will see your thread, rather than being buried within this one

Does that make sense ? :t:

Hi Musoman

Yeah, good call on starting a new thread, I'll do that now
Thanks for the link too - just stunning, and very exciting to see what can be achieved

BTW I'm a muso too. I play guitar and write and record in my home studio.
I'm going to be flogging guitars too - one way or another ebay's gonna be making big $$$ out of me :)

Marco

Twas a fab day today - sun everywhere, and almost cloudless, so i race off to the bird reserve so fast i forget my W/A lens, and wireless remote.

Well, ya cant trust Britain can you ? Sun can go in at the drop of hat. You have to move !

Anyways - i've just captured my prize - a Barn Owl flapping about in mid afternoon. Extraordinary !!
I almost burst a seam just trying to get focus, i was shaking and all fingers and thumbs, cos at first i couldnt get proper focus ( ext tubes problem with scopes ) so i had to whip 50mm of tube off the set up, i thought typical - i'll never get this Owl. I've never seen one in the flesh, ever, and now here's one in the midle of the afternoon, which is not common at all, being night hunters.

Anyways - i got the ext. tube off and whistled off 2 shots before he left. My heart sunk like a stone, for pretty much one reason....the distance he was at.
I just checked it out on Google Earth, and it was 197 metres ( 640ft ) ! ! !
I knew it was a long way, and i felt that it was just too far for getting a sharp shot.
But...when i saw the RAW file, i was almost in tears !!

IMO - i was so unbelievably lucky to get a decent shot at such a range. Yes, its small - but i may never see another Barn Owl as long as I live, and at least its not a blurry mess like i feared.

I appear to be babbling - apologies Still very hyped about this and its nearly 2.45 am in the morning, and cant sleep

Attachments

• Barn Owl.jpg
    Barn Owl.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 178
Captured some more along with the Barn Owl - Male and Female Gadwall, and lastly, a big Greylag with a Mallard drake under its wing

Attachments

• Gadwall2.jpg
    Gadwall2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Gadwall3.jpg
    Gadwall3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Gadwall4.jpg
    Gadwall4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Greylag Wings.jpg
    Greylag Wings.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 122
Couple of Great Tits and a Blue Tit

Attachments

• Great Tit.jpg
    Great Tit.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 137
  • Great Tit2.jpg
    Great Tit2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Blue Tit8.jpg
    Blue Tit8.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 129
Good stuff musoman. Barn Owls can often be seen in the day, especially in winter. I got my best views of one flying one afternoon last winter. I spoke to the farmer that was there and he said he saw it flying most days, morning and afternoon. Food is more scarce this time of year which brings them out in daylight looking for a meal.

The post processing is getting better too.

Paul.

Cheers Paul - yes i did wonder about the afternoon flight, but explained nicely ;)

I was horrified at the distance of that Owl - i never thought it'd come out as well as it did

I am now opening as 16 bit Tiff and using Save for Web, so i wonder if those make a difference

PS - i keep trying with that DOI 2x , and I just cant get focus with it. The IQ is awful, and i dont know why. I'm reluctant to spend
any more money on something like a Kenko, at 10 times the price of the DOI, if this is the quality i can expect

Last edited:
Hi - musoman. Congrats for the shots. You're a little ahead of me on the learning curve, but I'm encouraged by the quality of shots you're getting already

The barn owl is still one to treasure, even at this distance. I love seeing this bird.

The last time I saw a Barn Owl was a few years back at dawn on the way to hospital with my wife who was about to give birth to our second child. We had a cranky old Citroen Dyane and I was crawling up a hill when I spotted a the Barn Owl sitting on a post right next to the road. I slowed down to a near stop and was totally transfixed. I said to my wife something like "look at that beauty, I've only seen 2 or 3 Barn Owls in my life before" She replied "F*** the Barn Owl, get me to f***ing hospital. NOW!!!"

Wish I'd had a camera, although it may have been shoved somewhere. |:d|

Last edited:
Thanks Marco !

I've missed lots of shots of birds i've seen while out and not had a camera. Red Kites , Buzzard , Marsh Harrier, Kingfisher, Jay.

Still a learning curve for me too :t:

This scoping lark is not as easy as it sounds, after you've been spoilt by lenses with adjustable aperture, image stabilisation, zoom, etc.

I've re-done the Owl , and increased original image to 7000 pix from the original RAW file size of 3888 pix ( about 190% enlargement - i cant do the correct maths ) and then cropped @ 100% of the new image size.

Attachments

• Barn-Owl-2.jpg
    Barn-Owl-2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 152
More from Farmoor Bird Reserve and no Telecons on these shots.

Shots were between 10 and 15 metres. The crazy looking feet belong to a Coot.

Attachments

• Coot Dip 1.jpg
    Coot Dip 1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Coot dip 2.jpg
    Coot dip 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Coot dip 3.jpg
    Coot dip 3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Coot dip 4.jpg
    Coot dip 4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 95
Some male Tufted Ducks

Attachments

• Tufted Duck.jpg
    Tufted Duck.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Tufted duck 2.jpg
    Tufted duck 2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Tufted duck 3.jpg
    Tufted duck 3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 85
  • Tufted duck wings.jpg
    Tufted duck wings.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 82
Black Headed Gulls - almost full spring/summer plumage

Attachments

• BH Gull6.jpg
    BH Gull6.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 89
  • BH Gulls4.jpg
    BH Gulls4.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 129
  • BH Gull5.jpg
    BH Gull5.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back