• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

Interesting. Once again I'm struck by the similarity to our Common Loon here in New England.

Same species Gavia immer different english name!!

Nice shots Ian, I am getting swayed into one of these SX50's, I don't and cannot lug an DSLR round as I used to nowadays....

ATB

Steph'

What would be the best setting to shoot bird/wildlife photography for this camera?

It works very well on the 'auto' setting but as with any other camera it really depends on what you're taking and the lighting conditions. I'm mostly find I'm using AV mode and C1 set to the 1.5x digital converter plus of course the video recorder which can be activated regardless of whatever mode you are in.

The sports mode shoots very quickly and focus is very fast so isn't too bad for birds in flight but I'm finding the results can be a little grainy, maybe due to the auto ISO.

These were taken today. The Kestrel was only about 40m away but the Magpie was getting on for 100m so it's quite a heavy crop at 50x zoom. The Waxwing was only about 10m away.

Attachments

• IMG_6863aa.jpg
    IMG_6863aa.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_6893a.jpg
    IMG_6893a.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_7031a.jpg
    IMG_7031a.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 539
It works very well on the 'auto' setting but as with any other camera it really depends on what you're taking and the lighting conditions. I'm mostly find I'm using AV mode and C1 set to the 1.5x digital converter plus of course the video recorder which can be activated regardless of whatever mode you are in.

The sports mode shoots very quickly and focus is very fast so isn't too bad for birds in flight but I'm finding the results can be a little grainy, maybe due to the auto ISO.

These were taken today. The Kestrel was only about 40m away but the Magpie was getting on for 100m so it's quite a heavy crop at 50x zoom. The Waxwing was only about 10m away.

Love the kestrel shot Ian,well done.
I ordered a sx50hs from Digitalrev(Hongkong) on Saturday morning it was delivered in Leeds on Tuesday morning,great service,just have to wait until we come home now to try it out.

Hi guys. Really impressed with the results from the SX50, especially Ian's photos.

Can anyone who bought their SX50 from Digitalrev in HK confirm whether there is any issue with having to pay VAT and import duty upon receipt of the package?

Thanks.

Hi guys. Really impressed with the results from the SX50, especially Ian's photos.

Can anyone who bought their SX50 from Digitalrev in HK confirm whether there is any issue with having to pay VAT and import duty upon receipt of the package?

Thanks.

No issues at all,the price quoted is all you pay plus free express delivery,in my case 2 days.

Agree with eveything Ian F is saying about the SX50, in a week of having this camera I have produced almost incomparably better pics than my low end Canon DSLR setup, although nowhere in the league of Ian F's results. A couple of examples attached , buzzard from about 15metres.

Attachments

• sxbuzz.jpg
    sxbuzz.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 501
  • sxbuzz1.jpg
    sxbuzz1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 534
Nick
I got mine from panamoz with no problems whatsoever. They may be cheaper than digitalrev and they also offer a one year instant replacement for a fiver .

I met my first problem with the SX50 today. Having got some good record shots at a feeder I thought I would try Sports mode for the first time and struggled with focussing. I think it was down to servo focussing and have never used it before on my old DSLR. I took it off and was a lot happier but it seems to be part of sports mode. Is there a knack when using servo focussing.

I met my first problem with the SX50 today. Having got some good record shots at a feeder I thought I would try Sports mode for the first time and struggled with focussing. I think it was down to servo focussing and have never used it before on my old DSLR. I took it off and was a lot happier but it seems to be part of sports mode. Is there a knack when using servo focussing.
I never use anything else Bob - with my DSLR's and the SX40, there is no particular knack although you may not get focus confirmation as when you are in servo mode the Camera is always looking for movement. Having said that I would not bother with sports mode myself.

I never use anything else Bob - with my DSLR's and the SX40, there is no particular knack although you may not get focus confirmation as when you are in servo mode the Camera is always looking for movement. Having said that I would not bother with sports mode myself.

Roy, thanks I will keep trying. You might have answered my question in that I was trying it out and there was nothing really moving. I was trying sports mode as there are a couple of people getting some success on birds in flight using it.

Roy, thanks I will keep trying. You might have answered my question in that I was trying it out and there was nothing really moving. I was trying sports mode as there are a couple of people getting some success on birds in flight using it.

Some great tips coming out over the past few weeks ,keep them coming lads,what a great thread this is.!!

Agree with eveything Ian F is saying about the SX50, in a week of having this camera I have produced almost incomparably better pics than my low end Canon DSLR setup, although nowhere in the league of Ian F's results. A couple of examples attached , buzzard from about 15metres.

I assume that you are shooting Jpeg rather than raw?

Digitalrev do charge an Import Handling Fee to certain countries.

I think that is a separate cost, as an ex C&E officer (many many years ago) I can tell you that cameras are certainly taxable (not that you need a C&E officer to tell you that) !

I know when I worked parcel post with the dogs (esp. around Xmas) that the amount of packages is just overwhelming and far from all get checked :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back