• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

George, the 1.5x and 2x digital converters are built-in and are switched on/off via the cameras menu. This is different to normal digital zoom. See page 132 of the user manual.

I'd only add that in the menu's setting the teleconverter can be set it to toggle on the variable "S" button on the outside of the camera. Doing that is advisable if one expects to use the 1.5X and 2x frequently wants to get to it quickly.

I do not think this has anything to do with focussing Bob. There are few things that help with getting good detail in birds: firstly the obvious thing is getting closer, the tiny sensors in these Cameras are not good at capturing fine detail from afar. Secondly make sure that if you are shooting in jpeg you have the noise reduction setting at its lowest - if it is set too high this will give a smooth look to the bird and any fine feather detail will be lost. Far better to deal with any noise selectively in post processing IMHO.
Another thing I like to do is to expose to the right (ETTR) side of the histogram, remember that 80% of the tones are contained in the brightest 20% so if you underexpose and then push (brighten) in processing you will never recover those lost tones and very often it is these fine tones that help with fine detail in birds (pushing in processing will also amplify any noise).
Just my 2p's worth.
Thanks for the tips Roy,I will remember them next time I go out.

I'd only add that in the menu's setting the teleconverter can be set it to toggle on the variable "S" button on the outside of the camera. Doing that is advisable if one expects to use the 1.5X and 2x frequently wants to get to it quickly.
OK thanks - I've had a look at the manual now. I see how it works, it seems mostly to save time zooming in.

Picked-up a SX50 today to see what all the fuss is about ;).
After charging the battery I managed to get out for an half hour to try some snaps.
Very early days yet but my early thoughts compared with the SX40 are:-
The SX50 is nicer to hold and the buttons are better placed.
I only took some shots at the full 215mm and was shooting at best jpeg so hard to be sure but IQ looks similar to the SX40.
The extra focal length is nice and IQ seemed to hold up well at full zoom.
CA is still very bad but no worst than the SX40 and it can be corrected in processing if you want.
Bust speed in continuous AF mode was slower than the SX40 as per specs but in non AF mode it seemed quite a bit faster.
Metering seems on par with the SX40.
Still not decided about the AF although it did seem a bit snappier than the SX40.
Shutter lag was certainly better than the SX40.
Still the same naff viewfinder but usable.

Attached are a few quick snaps I took this afternoon which I have not bothered to do a lot with in processing as they have absolute crap backgrounds but they do show that the Camera delivers reasonable detail at the full 215mm (1200mm FOV) setting. Both shots are crops of about 30% of the full image.

Attachments

• dunnock2.jpg
    dunnock2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 370
  • robin1.jpg
    robin1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Sorry Tim,
I was that unimpressed with the shots I had taken, I deleted the whole lot.
I seem to be doing that a lot lately!!!
Hi Bob

I was referring to Bob Freeman's pictures of the bee eaters. Your wagtail looked fine but like you, I wouldn't have been happy with all the artefact in the other shots.

We can't expect too much from this bridge camera but it's nice that it will give great shots sometimes and decent record shots most of the time. That's all I want it for on my holiday.

Cheers, Tim

A couple in the garden

Weather hasnt been too great , havent seen much of the sun, but it changed to slightly brighter cloud today :)

Attachments

• IMG_0633ab.JPG
    IMG_0633ab.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0649abb.JPG
    IMG_0649abb.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0656abb.JPG
    IMG_0656abb.JPG
    393.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0664abb.JPG
    IMG_0664abb.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 226
After charging the battery I managed to get out for an half hour to try some snaps.
I only took some shots at the full 215mm and was shooting at best jpeg so hard to be sure but IQ looks similar to the SX40.
CA is still very bad but no worst than the SX40 and it can be corrected in processing if you want.
Bust speed in continuous AF mode was slower than the SX40 as per specs but in non AF mode it seemed quite a bit faster.
Still not decided about the AF although it did seem a bit snappier than the SX40.

Attached are a few quick snaps I took this afternoon which I have not bothered to do a lot with in processing as they have absolute crap backgrounds but they do show that the Camera delivers reasonable detail at the full 215mm (1200mm FOV) setting. Both shots are crops of about 30% of the full image.

Hi, just wondering what settings you are using for the Robin shot, I really like the detail on the feathers. Could you please tell me what custom colours you use, do you change the sharpening at all? thanks, jacqui.

Not bad for crops Roy. I cant believe you have bought the SX50 as I thought you were a astroscope man, with the SX40 for those bike rides ;)

I have sold my SX40 and most of my dslr stuff now. Been VERY tempted to get another bridge mind you, but hated the viewfinder on the canons, so looking at the Fujifilm HS50 EXR with great interest :t:

Not bad for crops Roy. I cant believe you have bought the SX50 as I thought you were a astroscope man, with the SX40 for those bike rides ;)

I have sold my SX40 and most of my dslr stuff now. Been VERY tempted to get another bridge mind you, but hated the viewfinder on the canons, so looking at the Fujifilm HS50 EXR with great interest :t:
Hi 'Punta' I still have the astroscope and now the SX50 for the bike rides and when I want a little lightweight walkabout - the extra focal length is worth it for birders. The SX50 is certainly not up to the IQ of the astroscope for distant stuff but 'horses for course I guess'!
Yep the viewfinder is still crap but usable.

Last edited:
Hi, just wondering what settings you are using for the Robin shot, I really like the detail on the feathers. Could you please tell me what custom colours you use, do you change the sharpening at all? thanks, jacqui.
Hi Jacqui, nothing fancy in the settings although I do turn down sharpening and saturation as I prefer to do it myself selectively in post processing. I also make sure the high ISO noise reduction is set low. Other than that it is just Av mode, auto ISO and exposure compensation to suit.

Roy, I guess you turn down sharpening through the custom colour option? also I have read that it can blow highlights, so would it be worth turning down contrast a notch, or is lowering the ev sufficient? thanks.

Anyone got any suggestions to add to the settings crazyfingers kindly posted to put into C1 and C2 to improve sharpness?

My pics improved a lot when I put cf's settings in, except when there is little contrast behind the subject for the AF to pick up on, but my pics are generally not as detailed in the feathering as many.

To some degree I suppose this is down to how close I've got to the subject, and how dull the weather has been (hardly had any sun since I got the camera), but the sort of thing Roy has been talking about might help.

I don't have the depth of experience, or, let's face it, the understanding of the various settings that some obviously have.

All help gratefully received.

David

Roy C suggested setting the High ISO Noise Reduction to Low maybe a page or two back. Noise reduction washes out the details. I have changed my setting on that but have not had a chance to try it. I plan to take a couple hours outside this morning at the park and take some photos.

Roy, I guess you turn down sharpening through the custom colour option? also I have read that it can blow highlights, so would it be worth turning down contrast a notch, or is lowering the ev sufficient? thanks.
Yep you can alter things like contrast, saturation and sharpening in custom colours. With a DSLR I always shoot in RAW so these things are of no concern but if shooting in fine jpeg I would prefer to do what's needed selectively in post processing rather than just letting the Camera do what it considers the best!
As far as Ev compensation goes every scenario has to be approached on its own merits - things like tone of the bird against the BG tone, how big the bird is in the frame and what metering method you are using will all determine how much (if any) exposure comp is needed for a particular shot. Correctly exposing the bird is far and away the most difficult thing in bird photography IMHO. It is all too easy these days to just try to correct everything in post but this is no substitute for correctly exposing in the camera that's for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back