• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

It would be great if someone with this lens and an SX50 could do some side by side tests at very long distances so we know for sure. Much better than theorising.
That would be good but I suspect the number of folk with both the 500/4 or 600/4 and a SX50 would be few and far between but you never know. Until we find someone you will be stuck with theorising I am afraid ;)

I do know for sure that the SX50 over extreme distances (say 150 yards+) beats the 300/2.8 IS +2xtc when shot from the same spot and cropped heavily.

It has after all, only a 215mm lens if you consider the true focal length, and the rest is up to the high density sensor and some software.
Which is why I bracket (full frame equivalent FOV) when talking about the 'reach' on the SX50

I have had an odd thing happen with my SX50. I have always been able in P mode to get the AF assist magnifying frame to help me focus on the subject. That option has never been there in Aperture Priority which I normally use. I have therefore used the camera for a year without it. I had meddled with the menu the other day and found the option suddenly appeared so I can now use it and it certainly helps.

At the same time I changed from using RAW only to RAW / fine Jpeg. I do wonder whether that AF assist frame is therefore Jpeg related. Does anyone know how to work out which bits of the menu work with which modes.

"Does anyone know how to work out which bits of the menu work with which modes."

Hi Bob,
Starting from page 260 on the manual disc there`s a function/menu table which shows what options are available in what programs. Also when you change modes & then access the menu certain options are "greyed out" & obviously not selectable. I shoot mostly in Raw now & still have the magnified screen option so definitely not limited to Jpeg use
Rob

Last edited:
As there are`nt too many in flight shots taken with this camera on the thread, I thought I`d post a few examples here from my recent trip over to the Farnes. All pics taken in sport mode, cropped & sharpened. Obviously the good light helped, but I think these are more than acceptable, bearing in mind the small sensor limitations etc. As was mentioned earlier, I`m another ex digiscoper since getting this camera & in flight was never really on the agenda with that set-up.

Rob.

Those are sweet. I would be happy with those results.

Having had the camera for a couple of weeks now, my thoughts are:

Positives:
Can take really decent pictures from a reasonable distance.
Record shots from longer distances and for fast moving birds.
Good for macro (0cm focus).
Great for other uses (ie family snaps, video etc)
Lightweight and no bother to carry in addition to a telescope.

Negatives.
Very difficult to get flight shots, and impossible on fast moving birds (Swifts, hirundines etc).
Obviously, the quality differs from high-end lenses, but you get what you pay for.
Can't think of much else for my own needs which it doesn't answer.

Managed something between a record shot and an almost decent picture of a Hobby (perched) yesterday - cropped but no other changes.

Andy M.

Attachments

• Hobby 20140528 Swineham GPs (1) - Copy.JPG
    Hobby 20140528 Swineham GPs (1) - Copy.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 277
That would be good but I suspect the number of folk with both the 500/4 or 600/4 and a SX50 would be few and far between but you never know .

Actually I have both the 500/f4 and the SX50.

The next time I have the the 500/ f4 with 1.4X teleconverter on a tripod and the SX50 handy I'll try some comparison shots. I have no idea when this will be but if/when it happens I'll post the results here.

700mm on the 7D's APSC sensor would be similar to the 1200mm equivalent on the SX50. A 50% crop from the 7D could be compared to the 1200mm with 2X digital zoom from the SX50..............

I am a new user to this camera, have read through this whole thread a few times (some fantastic results by many)!

Toward the beginning of the thread, Crazyfingers,Roy C, IanF etc posted some lists of settings used for C1 and C2, would it be possible to have an update of these settings now that the thread has progressed in time, and new tweaks have been found?

Are there other threads/forums to look at for "best" settings for this camera?

I am achieving some good results, but maybe not as sharp as some on here?

Regards NW

Last edited:
I am a new user to this camera, have read through this whole thread a few times (some fantastic results by many)!

Toward the beginning of the thread, Crazyfingers,Roy C, IanF etc posted some lists of settings used for C1 and C2, would it be possible to have an update of these settings now that the thread has progressed in time, and new tweaks have been found?

Are there other threads/forums to look at for "best" settings for this camera?

I am achieving some good results, but maybe not as sharp as some on here?

Regards NW

I think a lot of it comes down to processing. I knock seven bales out of mine using various programs mainly because each one has something special that the others lack.

I can't see the preferred settings changing too drastically as much of what works best on the SX50 was thrashed out on the SX40.

Quite pleased with these shots taken today in less than optimum lighting conditions...

AndyM

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 211
As there are`nt too many in flight shots taken with this camera on the thread, I thought I`d post a few examples here from my recent trip over to the Farnes. All pics taken in sport mode, cropped & sharpened. Obviously the good light helped, but I think these are more than acceptable, bearing in mind the small sensor limitations etc. As was mentioned earlier, I`m another ex digiscoper since getting this camera & in flight was never really on the agenda with that set-up.

Rob.

Surprised nobody's commented on these. Allow me. Excellent! I'd be really pleased with these. What sort of zoom setting were you using?

AndyM

I think a lot of it comes down to processing. I knock seven bales out of mine using various programs mainly because each one has something special that the others lack.

I can't see the preferred settings changing too drastically as much of what works best on the SX50 was thrashed out on the SX40.

Quite pleased with these shots taken today in less than optimum lighting conditions...

AndyM

What is considered a good and user friendly processing package please?

Actually I have both the 500/f4 and the SX50.

The next time I have the the 500/ f4 with 1.4X teleconverter on a tripod and the SX50 handy I'll try some comparison shots. I have no idea when this will be but if/when it happens I'll post the results here.

700mm on the 7D's APSC sensor would be similar to the 1200mm equivalent on the SX50. A 50% crop from the 7D could be compared to the 1200mm with 2X digital zoom from the SX50..............
I'll be interested to see the results when/if you get around to it, HokkaidoStu. It would be useful to try the same shots at various ISO settings to see at what point the 7D pulls ahead, as it surely must.

Cracking shots Andy nice and light to carry.are you using the C1 C2
GEORGE.

Yes. More or less the same settings that can be found near the beginning of this thread. C1 I set using Av, which I use the most, and C1 set using Tv. ISO set to not exceed 800 with 2.0x converter

AndyM

What is considered a good and user friendly processing package please?

Try DPP which should have come with the SX50 (bundled with image browser etc.). It's okay but I find it a bit basic and lacking in features that I like to use.

If you have any version of Photoshop, you can use that. If not, try GIMP which is an open source program with many of Photoshop's features to which you can add plug-ins such as de-noise etc.

HTH,

AndyM

A few shots of a Hobby having a Spanish sparrow for lunch~ Delicioso !!
Taken at around 50 metres.
Again using Crazy fingers settings.

Attachments

• hobby 1.jpg
    hobby 1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 280
  • hobby 3.jpg
    hobby 3.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 291
  • hobby 2.jpg
    hobby 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Surprised nobody's commented on these. Allow me. Excellent! I'd be really pleased with these. What sort of zoom setting were you using?

AndyM

Sorry for the delayed response Andy, I`ve been off line for a couple of days.
Thanks for the compliment, the Terns were taken at the shorter end of the zoom as they were mobbing people & the Puffin was taken at full zoom as it approached me at an oblique angle. I find with the Sport mode that even if you get the tracking focus spot on the bird & hold the shutter down until you hit the buffer you`ll still get several shot that are out of focus, but usually one or two that are good enough to keep. Here`s a couple more.

Rob.

Attachments

• IMG_9014-001.JPG
    IMG_9014-001.JPG
    462.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_8867-001.JPG
    IMG_8867-001.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 182
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back