• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Visiting the site for a second view this morning I had great views of the diver less than 20 m away with the sun over my left shoulder. On a couple of occasions I too thought that there was a line in its mouth but 'scope views showed it to be pond weed. This happened twice more. I hope this answers the question.
Wrt the report of another at Marbury CP; several of the local patchers searched diligently in vain for signs but to no avail. Could it be perhaps Marbury Mere in South Cheshire, just north of Whitchurch, or maybe a misinterpretation by the RBA of the Astbury bird?

Last edited:
Wrt the report of another at Marbury CP; several of the local patchers searched diligently in vain for signs but to no avail. Could it be perhaps Marbury Mere in South Cheshire, just north of Whitchurch, or maybe a misinterpretation by the RBA of the Astbury bird?

It is possible that the location was Marbury Mere in South Cheshire but i think it unlikely that there was a misinterpretation of the Astbury bird.

CB

Todays news - 2 Woodlarks still at Brereton CP; Great Northern Diver still at Astbury Mere; 2 Waxwings at Higher Hurdsfield, Macclesfield plus 40 at Kelsall and 2 at Backford Cross; Merlin by Cat & Fiddle Pub;

Yesterday - 5 Waxwings (first since 1961), Snow Bunting, 15 Purple Sandpipers and 120 Brent Geese at Hilbre;

CB

Diver still present today at Astbury Mere CP and at times shows quite well.
Steve..............:t:

Attachments

• Diver 222.jpg
    Diver 222.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 108
Woodlark and Great Northern Diver

Found two distant Woodlarks in the stubble field almost opposite to the entrance to Brereton Country Park late morning. The rain had started again just as I arrived so the views through my bins were not the best and by the time I had walked back to the car for my scope all of the birds in the field, Corvids included had been spooked probably by a Buzzard that was flying around.

Returned later in the afternoon - the Buzzard was still present but no further sign of the Woodlarks.

In between visits to Brereton CP called in at Astbury Mere, Congleton to see the Great Northern Diver. Excellant views of the bird in front of the sailing club but that mere is an exremely cold place to be in mid November !!

Nice to meet local birders John and later driver Paul.

Waxwings

Any one know anything about the Waxwings that were reported yesterday in Grappenhall. Will have awalk around the village when it stops raining.

Todays news - 10 Waxwings at Congleton; Great Northern Diver at Astbury Mere;

Yesterday - Great Northern Diver still at Marbury (S) Mere (not Marbury CP as previously stated);

CB

At last! Fifth time lucky.
Great views of one bird in the area where they were first found (by the dead tree). Thanks to the bloke who put me on it but it was still very difficult to pick out as it seldom moved and stayed within a one metre radius for the hour I was present. Seemed to be feeding well enough though. The farmer is apparently ploughing the field within the next week so they might be off for pastures new soon....

John

Hat Trick

Great views of one bird in the area where they were first found (by the dead tree).

After leaving the Woodlark & John I went to Astbury Mere for the GN Diver which was best seen from the southern entrance by the yacht club.
Then a short distance north along the A34 to Springfields Drive(opp the Shell Garage by Tescos) for 8 Waxwings.They were either in the 3 berry laden trees or in the tall tree at the start of Belgrave Ave fly catching.

There was an immature marsh harrier over Wigg Island saltmarsh/Astmoor lagoon around 9am today before I lost it it in the mist.

For anybody interested the Wirral Council Rangers and RSPB are taking a low tide trip to Hilbre Island on Friday December 3rd meeting up at 10.15am.

Booking is essential so phone 0151 648 4371 to guarantee a spot.

There is a small charge of £2.

More details at www.rspb.org.uk/innermarshfarm

Todays news - Great Northern Diver and Marsh Harrier at Wigg Island; Great Northern Diver still at Astbury Mere also 8 Waxwings nearby; Great Northern Diver still at Marbury (S) Mere; Woodlark still at Brereton Country Park; Waxwing and 2 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; 2 Waxwings and Snow Bunting at Hilbre; 11 Purple Sandpipers at New Brighton promenade plus 3 more on New Brighton Marine Lake;

Yesterday - 6 Yellow-legged Gulls at Arpley Tip; 2 Med Gulls, leucistic Black-headed Gull and 5 Mandarins at Rostherne Mere;

CB

Great views of one bird in the area where they were first found (by the dead tree). Thanks to the bloke who put me on it but it was still very difficult to pick out as it seldom moved and stayed within a one metre radius for the hour I was present. Seemed to be feeding well enough though. The farmer is apparently ploughing the field within the next week so they might be off for pastures new soon....

John

Glad to hear you found one of the Woodlarks. Strange that only one bird was present today. Generally both birds have been very close to each other when feeding.

CB

John

Glad to put you on to the lark - it was my 3rd. visit. It was a lot warmer in the sun than stood by the gate in the shade until late morning. It also helped that the hot-shot XBT Dave found the bird within minutes of arriving. He is a man inspired this year - Long-billed Dowitcher and many rarer waders this year on our local patch, Neumann's and Ashton's Flashes.
To the St. Helens? birder who arrived last Saturday as we unwittingly spooked the larks. I'm glad you scored at last, especially as it was us that put you onto the bird - it was my best view of the species even though I have seen it in Norfolk and Cannock on numerous occasions.
Vern

For anybody interested the Wirral Council Rangers and RSPB are taking a low tide trip to Hilbre Island on Friday December 3rd meeting up at 10.15am.

Booking is essential so phone 0151 648 4371 to guarantee a spot.

There is a small charge of £2.

More details at www.rspb.org.uk/innermarshfarm

Wrap up warm. Plenty of food and hot drinks!:t:
Plenty of Puprle Sandpipers around but they disperse over a wide area at low tide.

Massive and Continual Disturbance on Leasowe Shore

I've just put this on my website:

COCKLING ON LEASOWE SHORE: The cockle bed at Leasowe (off Leasowe Gunsite) has recently been opened by North West Fisheries for commercial cockling resulting in many vehicles on the beach racing up and down without any regard to local residents or the birdlife. This area is a Special Protection Area, a Special Area of Conservation, a Ramsar site and a SSSI yet the fisheries can completely disregard all this. As well as the disturbance and noise there is litter and mess scattered everywhere, local tax payers will have to pay to get it all cleaned up. There is also the question of public safety as this is an area where many people go walking. I would advise everyone who is concerned by this to voice their concerns to the local press, MPs and councillors, but in particular complain to North West Fisheries (http://www.nw-sfc.gov.uk/enquiry.asp), the more people that complain the better.

I've just put this on my website:

COCKLING ON LEASOWE SHORE: The cockle bed at Leasowe (off Leasowe Gunsite) has recently been opened by North West Fisheries for commercial cockling resulting in many vehicles on the beach racing up and down without any regard to local residents or the birdlife. This area is a Special Protection Area, a Special Area of Conservation, a Ramsar site and a SSSI yet the fisheries can completely disregard all this. As well as the disturbance and noise there is litter and mess scattered everywhere, local tax payers will have to pay to get it all cleaned up. There is also the question of public safety as this is an area where many people go walking. I would advise everyone who is concerned by this to voice their concerns to the local press, MPs and councillors, but in particular complain to North West Fisheries (http://www.nw-sfc.gov.uk/enquiry.asp), the more people that complain the better.

Thanks for drawing this to our attention Richard :t:

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back