• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Good views of the Bean Goose at Budworth Mere today. The Goose was on the far spit and viewed from the boathouse side from the slipway.

Thanks to local birders Mark Taylor and Dave Hughston for the info.

PS Does anyone know for sure if this is a Tundra or a Taiga ?

I believe the locals think it is a tundra. Still missing that from my yearlist!!

CB

Belated news - Mar 6th - Spoonbill at Parkgate; Hooded Crow, 6 Eider and 16 Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre; Red-crested Pochard at Frodsham; Iceland Gull and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR; 9 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands;

Mar 5th - Spoonbill and Great White Egret at Parkgate Marsh

CB

Yesterday - Caspian Gull, 3 Iceland Gulls and 2 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Greenshank, 6 Eider and Red-throated Diver at Leasowe; 182 Brent Geese at Hilbre; Green Sandpiper at Rixton;

CB

'High tide' at Parkgate wasn't - but I still managed to get 2 ringtail Hen Harrier, Merlin, Peregrine, Spoonbill and c300 Pinkfeet among the "other stuff". Hopefully the hightide birdwatch at Hoylake tomorrow will turn up some good gulls at least.

Chris

Todays news - Glaucous Gull, 4 Iceland Gulls and 3 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Black Redstart at Red Rocks; Spoonbill, Short-eared Owl, 2-3 Hen Harriers and 2 Merlins at Parkgate; Scaup at Doddington Pool; Red-throated Diver and c50 Common Scoter at Hilbre; 2 Ringed Plovers at Houghton Green Flash;

CB

Ad.sum. plum. Med gull , Oughtrington Lane, Lymm now.

Sitting with bh gulls to west of oughtrington lane, below the church., still.

Last edited:
As in Janes previous post - lots of Mew / Common Gull at Hoylake today, half a dozen very pale 1st w Herring Gull to keep people talking, a stunning adult Yellow-legged Gull and a single Grey Plover ( there were a couple of hundred Oyks on the rising tide but a couple of kite surfers soon drove them off ).

Chris

Second update - Black Redstart at Red Rocks; 3 Iceland Gulls at Richmond Bank; 2+ Hen Harriers, Merlin and Short-eared Owl at Parkgate; Sand Martin at Budworth Mere; 4 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Good to see both male and female Merlin over the high tide earlier today at Riverbank Rd, Heswall. Also Peregine and hundreds of Curlews amongst the usual waders.

As in Janes previous post - lots of Mew / Common Gull at Hoylake today, half a dozen very pale 1st w Herring Gull to keep people talking, a stunning adult Yellow-legged Gull and a single Grey Plover ( there were a couple of hundred Oyks on the rising tide but a couple of kite surfers soon drove them off ).

Chris

Picture of single Grey Plover as in your post. The kite surfers completely spoilt the rising tide with many birds flying off.

Although Cheshire Birder says the Black Redstart was present I looked over and over the Red Rocks today for it but did not see it. Besides me there were 4 other people. Anybody know what time this was seen as I may be going again tomorrow.

Charlie

Attachments

• IMG_0165 (1).jpg
    IMG_0165 (1).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0175 (1).jpg
    IMG_0175 (1).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 38
Although Cheshire Birder says the Black Redstart was present I looked over and over the Red Rocks today for it but did not see it. Besides me there were 4 other people. Anybody know what time this was seen as I may be going again tomorrow.

Charlie

According to Birdguides the sighting was at 1.45pm. I was there late afternoon searching and I also saw nothing either. One of the locals who I met a couple of weeks back said he'd only seen it on 2 out of 10 visits, so it is extremely elusive.

CB

According to Birdguides the sighting was at 1.45pm. I was there late afternoon searching and I also saw nothing either. One of the locals who I met a couple of weeks back said he'd only seen it on 2 out of 10 visits, so it is extremely elusive.

CB
I had left by 1.45pm so I will probably hang on a little longer tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know

Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back